The Fire by Katherine Neville
1,0062028,489 (2.85)75
    The Eight by Katherine Neville (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: The two books are connected by the Montglane Service and The Game
    Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: Numerology, arcane science, secret societies and foreign languages bind these two works together.
    Angels & Demons by Dan Brown (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: Both works feature mystic orders carrying secret information. Both are founded on just enough history to leave you wondering if really could be true.
    Black Market Truth by Sharon Kaye (cat505)

English (201)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  All (203)
In this entertaining and well-constructed follow-up (prequel and sequel at the same time) to THE EIGHT of over two decades ago, Neville revisits a few of the characters from the first story while introducing many new ones in a tale--part thriller, part mystery, part many other things--that is once again built around the game of chess. As in the earlier book, the story more or less takes place in two timelines; one is largely Europe of the 1820s and the other is mainly here in the States at the start of this millennium, in the days following our return engagement in Baghdad and Iraq. With one glaring (to me, at least) exception, Neville's research and attention to detail are once again obvious and solid all around. The characters are fascinating--almost too smart and too good to be realistic in many cases--and the narrative is very good overall, although the pacing is inconsistent at times. The resolution is satisfying in some ways and rather disappointing and anticlimactic in others. My biggest complaint is that there would have been little story to tell if the characters had simply been open and honest with one another throughout, instead of pretty much all acting secretively, cryptically, obscurely and what have you. Imagine if I were to tell you that I'd like to get together over lunch, but instead of telling you the name of the place where I would like to meet, I simply left you a partial list of vague clues designed to lead you to the restaurant. You'd probably slap me and tell me to stop being a vague idiot. But I suppose that's true for a great deal of fiction, and mystery fiction in particular. In the end, if you haven't read either of the two books, then you're in for a treat; if you've already read the first outing, then you owe it to yourself to revisit the story to see how things all turn out. ( )
  jimgysin | Jun 19, 2017 |
An amazing novel, sequel to "The Eight," which is in turn another amazing novel. Love, betrayal, and enormous chess game, some plot twists, geysers, smuggling things in and out of Russia, murder... a plethora of characters, some old, some new. Xie doesn't know who exactly to trust, and her world that has been set since childhood has been turned upside-down and back again. Her mother has disappeared, leaving behind nothing but some cryptic clues - but she wasn't good at making them, so who did? The story unfolds so well, and the characters are so vibrant - it's just as good as the first book, but you don't have to have read The Eight to understand The Fire. ( )
  J9Plourde | Jun 13, 2017 |
Years ago I read Katherine Neville's first book — The Eight— and loved it. I was really excited when I saw that she had finally written a follow-up book. I truely wanted to love this book, but it just felt too forced. It is almost as if the author felt she had to keep the same plot twists in this book and it was a chore for her to complete. ( )
  Darwa | Mar 18, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I've seen several reviews that say the novel started strong, and then lost steam in the middle. I disagree. I feel like this novel was a convoluted mess from the very beginning. "Mystery" characters that weren't very mysterious, "secret" conversations that (surprise, surprise) weren't very secret, and an entire secondary plot that was basically abandoned halfway through the book.

It just seems like Neville didn't have enough to say - like she needed a 500 page novel, but she really only had enough story for a 300 page novel, so she just added a bunch of poorly wrought confusion and hoped the reader wouldn't notice. Interestingly, there are places where the novel is genuinely intriguing and even a bit thrilling - it just isn't sustained nearly long enough to be an overall enjoyable reading experience. ( )
  NeedMoreShelves | Feb 21, 2016 |
In this sequel to THE EIGHT we continue the journey to search for the mysterious chess pieces and Charlemagne’s Montglane Service. Reuniting the service and the pieces promises immortality. The trip takes us from 19th century Albania to modern day Washington D.C. Personally I found the first part of the book compelling and then started to loose interest towards the end. As much as I like a story all tied up with a pretty pink bow at the end, this one starting wrapping up way too early and even for me was too saccharine at the end. ( )
  ChristineEllei | Jul 14, 2015 |
To Solano
Solarin gripped his little daughter's mittened hand firmly in his own.
"...what game was it?" "An ancient Game,...that was based upon a rare and valuable bejweled Mesopotamian chess set that once belonged to Charlemagne. It was believed to have certain dangerous powers and to be possessed by a curse."

Katherine Neville’s groundbreaking novel, The Eight, dazzled audiences more than twenty years ago and set the literary stage for the epic thriller. A quest for a mystical chess service that once belonged to Charlemagne, it spans two centuries and three continents, and intertwines historic and modern plots, archaeological treasure hunts, esoteric riddles, and puzzles encrypted with clues from the ancient past. Now the electrifying global adventure continues, in Neville’s long anticipated sequel: THE FIRE

2003, Colorado: Alexandra Solarin is summoned home to her family’s ancestral Rocky Mountain hideaway for her mother’s birthday. Thirty years ago, her parents, Cat Velis and Alexander Solarin, believed that they had scattered the pieces of the Montglane Service around the world, burying with them the secrets of the power that comes with possessing it. But Alexandra arrives to find that her mother is missing and that a series of strategically placed clues, followed swiftly by the unexpected arrival of a mysterious assortment of houseguests, indicates that something sinister is afoot.

When she inadvertently discovers from her aunt, the chess grandmaster Lily Rad, that the most powerful piece of Charlemagne’s service has suddenly resurfaced and the Game has begun again, Alexandra is swept into a journey that takes her from Colorado to the Russian wilderness and at last into the heart of her own hometown: Washington D.C.

1822, Albania: Thirty years after the French Revolution, when the chess service was unearthed, all of Europe hovers on the brink of the War of Greek Independence. Ali Pasha, the most powerful ruler in the Ottoman Empire, has angered the sultan and is about to be attacked by Turkish forces. Now he sends the only person he can rely upon–his young daughter, Haidee–on a dangerous mission to smuggle a valuable relic out of Albania, through the mountains and over the sea, to the hands of the one man who might be able to save it.

Haidee’s journey from Albania to Morocco to Rome to Greece, and into the very heart of the Game, will result in revelations about the powerful chess set and its history that will lead at last to the spot where the service was first created more than one thousand years before: Baghdad.

Blending exquisite prose and captivating history with nonstop suspense, Neville again weaves an unforgettable story of peril, action, and intrigue.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:45 -0400)

2003, Colorado: Alexandra Solarin is summoned home to her family's ancestral Rocky Mountain hideaway for her mother's birthday. Thirty years ago, her parents, Cat Velis and Alexander Solarin, believed that they had scattered the pieces of the Montglane Service around the world, burying with them the secrets of the power that comes with possessing it. But Alexandra arrives to find that her mother is missing and that a series of strategically placed clues, followed swiftly by the unexpected arrival of a mysterious assortment of houseguests, indicates that something sinister is afoot. 1822, Albania: Thirty years after the French Revolution, when the chess service was unearthed, all of Europe hovers on the brink of the War of Greek Independence. Ali Pasha, the most powerful ruler in the Ottoman Empire, has angered the sultan and is about to be attacked by Turkish forces. Now he sends the only person he can rely upon-his young daughter, Haidee--on a dangerous mission to smuggle a valuable relic out of Albania, through the mountains and over the sea, to the hands of the one man who might be able to save it.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Katherine Neville's book The Fire was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,179,354 books! | Top bar: Always visible