The Fire: A Novel by Katherine Neville

The Fire: A Novel (edition 2008)

by Katherine Neville

Series: Montglane Service (2)

1,16820212,046 (2.87)77
2003, Colorado: Alexandra Solarin is summoned home to her family's ancestral Rocky Mountain hideaway for her mother's birthday. Thirty years ago, her parents, Cat Velis and Alexander Solarin, believed that they had scattered the pieces of the Montglane Service around the world, burying with them the secrets of the power that comes with possessing it. But Alexandra arrives to find that her mother is missing and that a series of strategically placed clues, followed swiftly by the unexpected arrival of a mysterious assortment of houseguests, indicates that something sinister is afoot. 1822, Albania: Thirty years after the French Revolution, when the chess service was unearthed, all of Europe hovers on the brink of the War of Greek Independence. Ali Pasha, the most powerful ruler in the Ottoman Empire, has angered the sultan and is about to be attacked by Turkish forces. Now he sends the only person he can rely upon-his young daughter, Haidee--on a dangerous mission to smuggle a valuable relic out of Albania, through the mountains and over the sea, to the hands of the one man who might be able to save it.… (more)
Member:littlebookworm
Title:The Fire: A Novel
Authors:Katherine Neville
Info:Ballantine Books (2008), Hardcover, 464 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***
Tags:arc, read 2009, thriller, given away

The Fire by Katherine Neville

The Eight by Katherine Neville (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: The two books are connected by the Montglane Service and The Game
    Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: Numerology, arcane science, secret societies and foreign languages bind these two works together.
    Angels & Demons by Dan Brown (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: Both works feature mystic orders carrying secret information. Both are founded on just enough history to leave you wondering if really could be true.
    Black Market Truth by Sharon Kaye (cat505)

English (206)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  All languages (209)
Her book "The Eight" is one of my favorites. this followup is horrid, tedious, flat, and not fun and worst of all, the ending is unfulfilling. ( )
  JohnKaess | Jul 23, 2020 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I wanted to read the first book in the series before I read this second one. I bought it and started it, but haven't been able to get into it enough to finish it yet. My mother read both and enjoyed them. Although our tastes in books tend to be different, I will try to get back to the books in the future.
  wphilbrook | Jun 5, 2020 |
Not bad, interesting story...got a little tired in the middle. ( )
  leebill | Apr 30, 2020 |
Nearly a DNF for me . . . ( )
  nkmunn | Nov 17, 2018 |
In this entertaining and well-constructed follow-up (prequel and sequel at the same time) to THE EIGHT of over two decades ago, Neville revisits a few of the characters from the first story while introducing many new ones in a tale--part thriller, part mystery, part many other things--that is once again built around the game of chess. As in the earlier book, the story more or less takes place in two timelines; one is largely Europe of the 1820s and the other is mainly here in the States at the start of this millennium, in the days following our return engagement in Baghdad and Iraq. With one glaring (to me, at least) exception, Neville's research and attention to detail are once again obvious and solid all around. The characters are fascinating--almost too smart and too good to be realistic in many cases--and the narrative is very good overall, although the pacing is inconsistent at times. The resolution is satisfying in some ways and rather disappointing and anticlimactic in others. My biggest complaint is that there would have been little story to tell if the characters had simply been open and honest with one another throughout, instead of pretty much all acting secretively, cryptically, obscurely and what have you. Imagine if I were to tell you that I'd like to get together over lunch, but instead of telling you the name of the place where I would like to meet, I simply left you a partial list of vague clues designed to lead you to the restaurant. You'd probably slap me and tell me to stop being a vague idiot. But I suppose that's true for a great deal of fiction, and mystery fiction in particular. In the end, if you haven't read either of the two books, then you're in for a treat; if you've already read the first outing, then you owe it to yourself to revisit the story to see how things all turn out. ( )
  jimgysin | Jun 19, 2017 |

Belongs to Series

To Solano
Solarin gripped his little daughter's mittened hand firmly in his own.
"...what game was it?" "An ancient Game,...that was based upon a rare and valuable bejweled Mesopotamian chess set that once belonged to Charlemagne. It was believed to have certain dangerous powers and to be possessed by a curse."

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Katherine Neville's book The Fire was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,409,845 books! | Top bar: Always visible