A Mouse Called Wolf by Dick King-Smith

A Mouse Called Wolf (1997)

by Dick King-Smith

I liked this book for the plot, illustrations, and characters. The plot is very original; a mouse realizes his musical talent and saves a human he befriended. I also enjoyed the twist that the mouse could also compose. The few illustrations in the book enhanced the story by including visuals that would help the reader's visualize the characters. The picture of Mrs. Honeybee looking at Wolf on the top of the piano was able to depict her positive reaction towards the singing mouse. I also loved the character development of Wolf. First, he started out hating his name. Then, when he came to find his passion for music, his ironic name did not bother him. Finally, Mrs. Honeybee unknowingly names him the name that would fit this talented mouse perfectly--the name he already had. The message of this story is to be yourself and embrace who you are. Wolf was a mouse version of the man who's name he had, Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart. If he never accepted his love for music, he never would have been able to rescue Mrs. Honeybee or compose the beautiful music he did. ( )
  ocosta1 | Mar 5, 2014 |
Enchanting. After reading this book I know why King-Smith is such a prolific and popular author. He has the rare gift of charm without being cutsie or talking down to his audience. This book made me want to sit down and read everything he has ever written. ( )
  Inky_Fingers | Oct 31, 2012 |

We read this book aloud to Magda (she’s two-and-a-half), finishing around June 2, 2012. I asked Magda questions about it on June 5, 2012. Here’s what she had to say:

What book is this?
A Mouse Called Wolf
Who wrote it?
Wolfgang Amadeus!
Haha. No, that’s the character in the book. Who’s the author of the book?
Dick King-Smith
A animal.
Is it a wolf?
No, something else.
What?
A boy! A mouse who’s a boy.
What is so special about the mouse called Wolf?
I don’t know.
What is he doing on the cover?
He’s singing!
Can all mice sing?
Uh, I don’t know. Can they?
I don’t think so. What kinds of songs does Wolf sing?
Wolfgang Amadeus.
Yes, Wolfgang Amadeus. Do you remember any of the songs?
Uh, Three Blind Mice and another one, I can’t remember.
Where does Wolf live?
In his house.
Who else lives there?
Her mom and...who else?
Is there a person?
Oh, yes, Mrs. Honeybee!
Wolf is sort of her pet mouse. Would you like a pet mouse?
Uh...do pet mouse...? Uh, yes! I’m going to carry the pet mouse and then I can handle a dog! ( )
  CozyBookJournal | Jun 8, 2012 |
Wolfgang Adadeus Mouse is a big name to fill, isn't it? Well in this book A Mouse Called Wolf that is exactly what Wolf (for short) did. What he had accomplished in this book was that he showed that runts can be spectacular! Wolf lived underneath a piano at Mrs.HoneyBee's house and that led him to being a spectacular singing mouse!
This book was kind of an inspiring to me because it was about a mouse that go over how he looked ( he was a runt to he was small and he had big ears) and he got up and did what he was meant to do. There for he became the first singing mouse according to Dick-Smith (the author). Also he got his mother to be okay with humans and trust them.
Dick-Smith did a very well job writing this book. One thing i did not like was that some parts were not well explained and I was confused in some parts. But otherwise than some minor confusion the book was well written and an inspiring book to me. :) ( )
  ctmserpr | Sep 8, 2011 |
Early Chapter Book. This is a funny book about a mouse who has a great musical talent. The old lady his family lives with has a piano. They old lady realizes that he can sing. She plays him new tunes for him to learn. Wolfgang Amadeus Mouse ("Wolf," for short) has a big name for such a little mouse. But the name fits. His favorite pastime is listening to Mrs. Honeybee, the lady of the house, play the piano. If only he could sing along to the music! One day, Wolf decides to try -- and to his surprise, out of his mouth comes a perfect melody. It's not long before Wolf is singing everything from "Three Blind Mice" to Chopin to the Beatles, all to Mrs. Honeybee's accompaniment. Then an accident leaves Mrs. Honeybee in danger, and it's up to Wolf to save her... the only way he knows how. I would use this book in the classroom to show students that who every you are you are talented, special and needed.
  champlin | Jun 9, 2008 |

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:59:01 -0400)

A mouse with an unusual name shares his musical gift with a widowed concert pianist.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,555,034 books! | Top bar: Always visible