A Mortal Curiosity by Ann Granger

A Mortal Curiosity (edition 2008)

by Ann Granger

Member:bhowell
Title:A Mortal Curiosity
Authors:Ann Granger
Info:Headline (2008), Paperback, 416 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:fiction, Crime Thriller & Mystery, British mystery, WBI

A Mortal Curiosity by Ann Granger

The only bad thing I can say about this book is that I have now, to the best of my knowledge, read all of the Lizzie Martin & Inspector Ben Ross mysteries and will have to wait until Ann Granger writes more. These books are a sheer delight. The real subject of all of them--beyond murder and investigation--is a stark criticism of the elaborate class system of Victorian England, with respect to landowners, servants, police officers and women in particular. Ms. Granger also includes details that make the reader feel they've truly been transported back in time: the period dress, the thick fog caused by coal-burning factories, the expectations on children, even the food people eat. All of it combines to guide the reader through a tour of London and its surroundings circa the 1860's, and invites them to stay to solve a murder or two while they're at it. ( )
  CozyBookJournal | Apr 14, 2012 |
I've enjoyed many of Ann Granger's books without finding them particularly exceptional - and this was pretty much the same as ever. I like the characters - a forthright Victorian woman and her Scotland Yard boyfriend - and I end up thinking the plot is pretty good too. But somewhere along the line nothing is really impressing me and making me want to pick up another one all the same. I like the Fran Varady series much better.
  nocto | Dec 8, 2010 |
I am completely neutral about this book. I don't hate it, but I'm not absolutely sure that I like it, My problem is that I just couldn't care about the characters in the book, and as this is a murder mystery that is important. The setting did feel authentic though. ( )
  riverwillow | Mar 6, 2009 |
19th century London-readable but not wonderful ( )
  ReadingKnitter01 | Nov 20, 2008 |
The man opposite in the first-class compartment wore a shiny black top hat draped from crown to brim in a large white silk handkerchief.

It’s 1864 and Lizzie Martin is leaving London for the south coast of England to be the companion of Lucy Craven, a teenager who lives in seclusion with her aunts and has recently lost an infant daughter to illness. En route, Lizzie meets Doctor Lefebre, a slightly off-putting gentleman headed for the same destination. Lefebre, it turns out, is an alienist hired by Lucy’s family to determine whether the young woman is mad. And he discloses something shocking: Lucy Craven doesn’t believe her daughter is dead; she insists the baby was stolen from her.

In Hampshire, complications mount. Late at night, Lizzie hears furtive voices outside, there’s a gentleman farmer whose demeanor with Lucy seems unusually familiar, and, while Lucy proves a bit moody, she hardly seems deranged. The girl’s aunts are clearly withholding something. . . . These tensions come to a head when a man is found dead in the garden, stabbed with a knife from the aunts’ home.

Lizzie calls upon her beau, Inspector Benjamin Ross. Together, they find themselves entangled in a mystery as bewildering as any they’ve faced.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:29:26 -0400)

Hired as a companion to Lucy Craven, a teenager who recently had lost an infant daughter to illness, Lizzie Martin soon discovers that her charge does not believe the child is dead but rather has been stolen from her, a situation that is complicated by family secrets and murder, forcing her to once again enlist the aid of her beau, Scotland Yard detective Benjamin Ross.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,694,138 books! | Top bar: Always visible