Affinity by Sarah Waters

Affinity (original 1999; edition 2002)

by Sarah Waters

Authors:Sarah Waters
Info:Riverhead Trade (2002), Paperback, 368 pages
Tags:British, lesbian, historical, fiction, read

Affinity by Sarah Waters (1999)

English (101)  Portuguese (1)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  All languages (104)
I am embarrassed at how long it took me to start suspecting the twist at the end, but it was such a beautiful story! ( )
  jen.e.moore | Nov 27, 2015 |
This is a dark and spiritually disturbing novel. It's all in here: imprisonment, dehumanisation, the destruction of faith, a state run system of consentless BDSM, and over it all the black spectre of death. Reading it thrust me into a frightening state of mind where I found myself stalked by thoughts of the failures of my life and the lack of control I have over it. I'm not kidding, so don't say I didn't warn you, Folks. I would turn to the beginning of each new prison chapter with a real sense of dread and found myself hoping this was a horror novel, because if it's a horror novel then everything will be all right in the end. ( )
  Lukerik | Oct 27, 2015 |
A sad Gothic novel filled with a continuing feeling of dread.

Margaret Prior is recovering from a suicide attempt. After the death of her father she arranges to attend a local prison a few days a week to visit the prisoners - to talk and comfort them. On her rounds she meets Selina Dawes, and the two strike up a friendship. Selina is a medium, imprisoned for a seance gone wrong. Unsure whether to believe Selina’s gifts are real, Margaret is drawn to the prison more and more, desperate to understand who and what Selina really is.

This book is a hard one for me to describe. This is the first time I have ever read anything by Sarah Waters, and having read the synopsis for the book I was quite excited to read it. I love Gothic novels and this one, with the hint of supernatural just sounded fantastic. Alas I came away feeling somewhat disappointed.

The novel is certainly a dreary one, and I often felt a little boring, crawling through pages of depressing monologue. I often found I had to put it down and read something a bit more entertaining and then return to it. On that notion I was planning to give this book only two stars, it was a little long winded for me.

But then when I finally finished the book (for it took me a while) I had the strange feeling that I’d just finishing something incredible. It deals a lot with social conventions of the time on subjects such as suicide and lesbianism, both punishable extremely severely, and the idea that because Margaret is a lady, her suicide attempt is swept under the rug. It has much to say about the double standards between different classes in the Victorian period. It also deals a lot with the prison system and how prisoners were treated in that time, there are some intense, almost frightening chapters in which prisoners are taken to solitary confinement, and the way they are horrifically treated.

The thing that stood out most for me was the mystery element. That I really enjoyed. The whole plot keeps you guessing, can Selina really contact spirits, or is a conjurer of cheap tricks? The whole story is a very sad and dismal love story. I also rather liked the switching of point of view for each chapter. Half the chapters follow Margaret as she goes to the prison, deals with her sisters marriage and her invasive mother, and the other half tell the story of Selina before she was imprisoned. I preferred Selina’s chapters myself as I found them more interesting, leaving little clues to the possibility of her being a medium or not.

Affinity is a very subtle and moving novel. It is filled with dense, bleak imagery that really does conjure up a very intense atmosphere of despair. This book may not be for everyone, but if you’re looking for something outside of the box, this one might be just what you’re looking for. ( )
  ColeReadsBooks | Mar 9, 2015 |
3.5 stars

It is 1874 and Margaret Prior is visiting a women's prison to hear some of the stories of some of the prisoners. She becomes particularly interested in one prisoner, Selena Dawes, who is a medium and was imprisoned for murdering a woman who took her in, but Selena insists it was a spirit who caused the woman's death.

The book alternated between Margaret in “present” day and Selena's perspective beginning two years earlier. I found the “present” day storyline much more interesting, though there were still parts I glossed over a bit. It's not fast-moving, but it's a good story and it did pick up at the end. I didn't think I was going to like the ending, but wow, I was in for a surprise! I do approve of the ending, after all. ( )
  LibraryCin | Feb 22, 2015 |
Maybe even 2 stars. I got bored by this book by page 250 and had to force myself through the last 100 pages. Some lovely descriptive passages but too slow moving for my tastes -- still, if that was all I would have given it 3 or even 3 1/2 stars. However, I found the plot completely predictable and the characters unappealing. And why is this billed as a mystery? Romance, yes; ghost story, okay but mystery, no! ( )
  leslie.98 | Feb 22, 2015 |

Сафронова, АлександраTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
אינגה מיכאליTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Affinity ( [2008]IMDb)
To Caroline Halliday
I was never so frightened as I am now.

Set in and around the women's prison at Milbank in the 1870's , AFFINITY is an eerie and utterly compelling ghost story, a complex and intriguing literary mystery and a poignant love story with an unexpected twist in the tale. Following the death of her father, Margaret Prior has decided to pursue some 'good work' with the lady criminals of one of London's most notorious gaols. Surrounded by prisoners, murderers and common thieves, Margaret feels herself drawn to one of the prisons more unlikely inmates - the imprisoned spiritualist - Selina Dawes. Sympathetic to the plight of this innocent-seeming girl, Margaret sees herself dispensing guidance and perhaps friendship on her visits, little expecting to find herself dabbling in a twilight world of seances, shadows, unruly spirits and unseemly passions.

Margaret Prior, assigned to visit the women's ward of Victorian London's Millbank prison as part of her rehabilitative charity work for a suicide attempt, is drawn into a dark romance with spiritualist Selina Dawes who has been jailed after a seance she was conducting went horribly wrong.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,954,413 books! | Top bar: Always visible