All Hands Down: The True Story of the Soviet…

All Hands Down: The True Story of the Soviet Attack on the USS Scorpion (2008)

by Kenneth Sewell, Jerome Preisler (Author)

I thought this book was very well researched. I had no idea that the time frame was also associated with the Pueblo and John Walker..... Do I believe that our government would hide the truth from the families of these sailors and the nation? Yes, I do. ( )
  Laurie.Schultz | Mar 15, 2014 |
This book was as well documented as the author's other book, Red Star Rogue, (K-120) which sank when a fail-safe system went into play as the ship tried to launch a nuke at Pearl Harbor. The Russians, not knowing about the fail safe believed for a long time that she was sunk by the US. The sinking of the Scorpion was a pay-back. What is amazing is that both the US and Russia agreed to keep the events secret to avoid an all-out war. The book concludes with 37 pages of the authors documents, interviews and sources.

When I picked this book as one of my challenge reads I was not aware that it was so tightly connected to Red Star Rogue, one of my other reads. Reading the two of them so close together really helped make the situation much clearer.

Sewell writes military (naval) history very well. ( )
  mysterymax | Oct 30, 2013 |
I remember the loss of the Thresher and the Scorpion. And I remember that the Navy said both sank accidentally. The author of this book says the USSR baited the Scorpion into a kill box and torpedoed it. And that could be so. My quibble is that this book is written in such a way that the casual reader will think it's the official word, not one writer's opinion. ( )
  pwoodford | Jan 23, 2009 |

Kenneth Sewellprimary authorall editionscalculated
Preisler, JeromeAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
For the families left waiting in the storm.

Forty years ago, during the height of the Cold War, a U.S. submarine sank under mysterious circumstances with a loss of ninety-nine lives. Now, drawing on exclusive interviews and newly declassified U.S. and Soviet intelligence files, Sewell and Preisler explain what really happened to the Scorpion, and why the truth has been officially denied for forty years. In March 1968, a Soviet sub mysteriously sank near Hawaii, hundreds of miles from its normal station. Mistakenly believing that the U.S. was responsible, the Soviets plotted revenge. Using a valuable cryptographic unit that had been stolen from a U.S. intelligence ship to intercept classified naval communications, the Russians set a trap for the Scorpion.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,754,511 books! | Top bar: Always visible