Before & After by Matthew Thomas

Before & After (edition 1999)

by Matthew Thomas

Member:TheDivineOomba
Title:Before & After
Authors:Matthew Thomas
Info:HarperCollins (UK) (1999), Edition: First Edition, Mass Market Paperback, 426 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***1/2
Tags:2012, From BookMooch, Given Away

Before and After by Matthew Thomas

Good Omens by Terry Pratchett (TheDivineOomba)
    TheDivineOomba: Very similiar in theme and quality, but Good Omens is a better book.

A story for fiber freaks and fans of post-apocalyptic fiction alike! So, the end of life as we know it is coming, so let's all hide out in the last bastion of wilderness in Britain, Wales! I had a good time, though the end lags a bit. ( )
  DinadansFriend | May 7, 2014 |
A thoroughly enjoyable read about the end of the world. No Deep thought required! The characters were a bit snarky, but in a good way. Sterotypes are embraced with this story, from Die-Hard Christian Evangelist, to Modern Woman Kicks ass. This book has great action, and it all fits. There are a few spots where the author stretched the silliness to make it absurd, but for the most part, a very enjoyable book. ( )
  TheDivineOomba | Nov 29, 2012 |
"Accursed is he who quotes the bible out of context. And that includes you, Aristo."

The Count of St Germain, 1676

It's 1999 and Nostradamus is alive and well, awaiting the coming Apocalypse while working as a history professor in a London university. Enjoyable, but a bit slow to really get going, and the humour seemed a little strained at times - I didn't get the impression of effortless flights of fancy that you get with Douglas Adams or Terry Pratchett. However by the half-way point it was definitely improving, and I was giggling as I read the last 20 pages this lunchtime. But it is a pity that we never found out what was going on with Colin and his mates in the field. ( )
  isabelx | Apr 10, 2011 |
Please read my review here.
  fortrixenigma | Jun 30, 2007 |
Sheep. Explosions. Giant lobsters. Biblical apocalypse. I read this a few years ago and remember laughing a *lot*. Similar in style to Douglas Adams or Terry Pratchett. ( )
  krypto | Sep 16, 2005 |
Dedicated to N. G. Jones
and O. M. Jones
It was a beautiful summer day which, if anything, made events all the harder to take.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,359,259 books! | Top bar: Always visible