The Diary of Anne Frank: The Revised…

The Diary of Anne Frank: The Revised Critical Edition

by Anne Frank

I was 14 when I first set my eyes on a copy of Anne Frank's diary. It was the first "adult" book I ever bought on my own. I had seen the film the year before, and it had torn my heart out of my body and stomped on it continuously for several days. Why on earth I thought that it would be easier to read the book is a mystery to this day. Yet, I bought the book. It would be only the first copy I would purchaae through my life. The revised critical edition is probablly the last copy.

I wasn't sure that it was possible to make one of the greatest books ever written any better. But, then, I didn't know how much material had been cut by various editors (including Anne's father, Otto). The editing was done because of the morals of the days in which it's been published -- after all, would you want your little girl to learn about sex from a dead kid? Even if what the dead girl said wasn't very racy, even in the 1950's?

Fortunately, this edition doesn't worry about such tiny things. It's much more concerned with presenting the first real, unaltered look at the lives of Geman Jews who went into hiding rather than be taken to a death camp by the Nazis. It's about what a young woman thought, did, and didn't do. It's about being stuck in a small attic for months on end, unable to move about during the day for fear that someone working on the floor below might hear a noise, Can you imagine not even being able to go to the bathroom for 8 hours because the sound of urine hitting the water in the toilet might alert someone?

Anne Frank is not an angel. She had the same wants, needs, and pretensions that every little girl has had since the beginning of the species. She could be a brat -- and on some occasions, even a bitch. She and her mother never got along well, possibly because she was very much like her father. but also probably because she was a lot smarter than her mom (a problem with which I could appreciate since I shared it). She could be funny when she wanted to be, but also very serious when it was necessary. I suspect that, even at the end, after they had been arrested, she was able to keep hope alive that she would be rescued. And she certainly didn't deserve to die of typhus anymore than she would have deserved to be murdered in any of the other myriad ways that the Nazis developed over the years.

If she was alive today, she'd be 85. She might have had great-grandchildren to bring her flowers and love. Instead, she will forever be a young teenager, full of potential and hope, looking forward to the day when she could walk down those stairs from the Secret Annex to join the world again.

"It's difficult in times like these: ideals, dreams and cherished hopes rise within us, only to be crushed by grim reality. It's a wonder I haven't abandoned all my ideals, they seem so absurd and impractical. Yet I cling to them because I still believe, in spite of everything, that people are truly good at heart. I simply can't build my hopes on a foundation of confusion, misery, and death. I hear the approaching thunder that, one day, will destroy us too, I feel the suffering of millions. And yet, when I look up at the sky, I somehow feel that this cruelty too shall end, and that peace & tranquility will return once again."

If I could write just one paragraph as insightful and beautiful as this one, I would die a happy person. Thank you, Anne, for giving us your love. Because of you, I believe people are mostly good, too. ( )
  bfgar | Aug 9, 2014 |
Anne tries to live a normal girl's life while simultaneously depicting herself as the heroine of an adventure book she is writing. ( )
  sacredheart25 | Apr 16, 2012 |
Please do not combine this work with the regular, Critical, or Definitive editions of The Diary of Anne Frank/Diary of a Young Girl.
Please do not combine this work with the regular, Revised Critical, or Definitive editions of The Diary of Anne Frank/Diary of a Young Girl.

"Prepared by the Netherlands Institute for War Documentation, this monumental work allows the reader to compare the three versions of the diary itself: Anne's original entries: the diary as she herself edited it in the hiding place of the "Secret Annex"; and the version most popularly known, as edited by Anne's father, Otto Frank, and a Dutch publishing house after World War II, when they removed certain family and sexual references. Every aspect of the diary - including Anne's handwriting and the paper used - is meticulously examined, providing compelling proof and historical affirmation of its poignant testament. Absorbing biographical information on the Frank family enhances Anne's personal perceptions, and a summary of critical events during and after the family's arrest - including how the Nazi authorities learned about the Franks and their secret hiding place - adds a new dimension to this tragic, still resonant story."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,672,312 books! | Top bar: Always visible