Bride of the rat god by Barbara Hambly

Bride of the rat god (edition 1995)

by Barbara Hambly

Member:wyvernfriend
Title:Bride of the rat god
Authors:Barbara Hambly
Info:Robinson, 1995.
Collections:Your library, To read
Tags:fiction, tbr

Bride of the Rat God by Barbara Hambly

After a silent era movie actress wears a cursed Chinese necklace on screen, she discovers she has become fated to be the bride of, and sacrificed to, the Rat God. Dunh dunh dunnnhhhh!

This book was not as campy or as funny as I was expecting, so it disappointed me in that respect. Instead, is a fairly straightforward light mystery-romance, with some cliched fantasy elements thrown in (ancient Chinese wizard, etc.). Mildly entertaining, ultimately forgettable.

Read for SFFCat in 2015. ( )
  sturlington | Jan 8, 2015 |
Hollywood in the 1920s and a plot worthy of any great pulp fiction writer. Gripping, fast read with intelligent plotting and good writing. The pekes are wonderful!

Plot revolves around a silent film star whose lover gives her a necklace. The necklace is cursed...of course, you knew that. The Rat God is coming for his bride. Tongue in cheek and thoroughly enjoyable. I thought the characters were well drawn, also. Our hero is a photographer for the movie being made, and his opposite is the star's widowed sister (beautiful). Also loved the fading, alcoholic, and gay star. Quite a grand romp, all told. ( )
  Crotchetymama | Jun 26, 2014 |
Plot: 3 stars
Characters: 3 1/2 stars
Style: 3 stars
Pace: 2 stars

Look at this cover. Really. It's ABSURD. It fits this book perfectly. Cheesy pulp fantasy novel with stereotypes galore. The magical chinaman. The brash flapper with a heart of gold. 1920s Hollywood with enough blatant drugs/bootlegged alcohol to make the DEA even today drool. But eh, for a Friday of a lousy week? Not bad. ( )
1 vote Jami_Leigh | Jun 22, 2014 |
1920's film stars! Ancient demons! Romance! Magic! Cute puppies! This one's a winner. ( )
  Turrean | Feb 15, 2014 |
Bride of the Rat God by Barbara Hambly was originally released in paperback in 1994. It's now been rereleased in ebook form. Intrigued by the setting — 1923 Hollywood, and the mystery — an ancient Chinese curse, I decided to give the book a try.

Nora, a British WWI widow, comes to Hollywood where her sister is a silent movie sensation. After her arrival, members of the crew are brutally murdered. If Shang Ko, a self described Chinese wizard, is to be believed, the movie star sister is in danger — cursed by the very necklace she's been wearing in her current movie.

It sounds so good. It has a promising setting. The reviews, for the most part, have been ecstatic — praising the world building and the author's genre savvy. I expected to love the book with my film history background and my current interest in Chinese culture. Sadly, though, I failed, twice, to finish the book.

Bride of the Rat God failed to gel for me. After the initial discovery of a body, the book falls into a routine of describing Chrysanda Flamande's day to day schedule at the studio as well as her Pekinese dogs. Every so often Shang Ko will pop up, say something vaguely ominous.

The dogs end up being the true heros of the book, but not being a fan of the breed and usually finding pets in mysteries to be tedious at best, they didn't add much to the reading experience for me. But the actual mystery doesn't get back on track until well past the half way point of the book. By then, I was bored and ready to move on. ( )
1 vote pussreboots | May 12, 2013 |

Barbara Hamblyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gavin, MargueriteNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rey, LuisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rodriguez, RobertCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dedicated, with all my love, to Whiskey, Smudge, Nicholas, and the Eternally Beautiful Kismet, without whose love and company it would never even have occurred to me to write this book.
It was not that there were no warnings.
...not to use whatever power you've been given is not a neutral act. It's a blow struck for evil.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345381017, Mass Market Paperback)

Chrysanda Flamande was the sultriest vamp of the silver screen in Hollywood, California, in the year 1923. Then an elderly Chinese gentleman warned her that a trinket she'd worn in her last movie had marked her to be the bride of an ancient devil-god of Manchuria. Now the Rat God is stalking closer, and Chrysanda is discovering that there's no mousetrap big enough to keep her from being dragged unwilling to the altar!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:49:19 -0400)

Chrysanda Flamande, a hot actress of the silver screen, pays no attention to an elderly Chinese gentleman's warning about her becoming the bride of an ancient devil-god as the result of wearing an ancient and cursed piece of jewelry until the mysterious death of a stunt double who had also worn the jewel.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,810,861 books! | Top bar: Always visible