One Part Angel: A Novel by George Shaffner

One Part Angel: A Novel

by George Shaffner

very good light, quick read. Vernon Moore returns to Ebb. NE to help the mother of his child. This books gives a little more insight to the history of Mr. Moore, but not much. Still shows the power of persuasion and my take is that is more tongue in cheek lessons in life than spirtual advice. Good book for all. ( )
  kelley1223 | Jul 5, 2010 |
This is the second book in this series.
Vernon Moore returns to Ebb Nebraska. This time to help the mother of his daughter. 3 men break into her salon and hurt her so badly she is in a coma. Wilma Porters eldest grandson is in jail and refuses to tell who the other 2 that were there are.
As before Vernon has a way of turning a town upside down in less than a week.
Very enjoyable story. ( )
  KathyWoodall | Mar 26, 2008 |
This book is just as incomprehensible to me as the first one (In the Land of Second Chances) was, possibly more so. In many ways this book is little more than a retread of In the Land... except the "sermonettes" are slightly different. Instead of hope and faith, we have the difference between smart and stupid, and strong and weak. But the reasoning is the same: Let me prove to you why it makes more sense, from a rational perspective, to behave a smart way, as defined by the author, of course.

It's clear, from the title, if nothing else, that we're supposed to believe that Vernon Moore is something close to an angel. Maybe that's why the entire town accepts him into their lives and treats him as their long-lost best friend. I found it entirely unbelievable though. Yes, it's a small, friendly town, and yes, he's a nice guy, but that's about it. And yet, the entire town comes to believe that he's the only answer to all their troubles. So much for that old-fashioned mid-west belief in self-reliance!

Fortunately for them, though, he does return, and does manage to solve all their problems, while at the same time maintaining his secret identity and denying that he had anything at all to do with getting things fixed. Humble to an extreme, and way past the extreme, if you asked me.

I had just one other problem with this book, and it grated on me so much that I feel like I have to mention it:
It's possible that Shaffner has never heard a teenage boy speak, even when he was one. He has his 16-year-old male character talking like a California valley girl who's been dropped into southeast Nebraska.

In short, this book bothered me on many levels and in ways that I can't fully explain. I'm only going to read the third book because I've already agreed to do so, but I hope some questions are answered there, because I'm certainly not going to read a fourth book (if there is one). ( )
  mzonderm | Feb 26, 2008 |
Sweet but very light read. ( )
  lcrouch | Feb 22, 2007 |

The residents of Ebb, Nebraska, could use another miracle. The last time they needed one, their salvation came in the form of a mysterious, well-dressed traveling salesman named Vernon Moore. Though he turned the town around in six days, now Ebb is right back in the soup, and plucky Wilma Porter–owner of the Come Again Bed and Breakfast–is praying for a return visit from the famous Mr. Moore.

Wilma’s prayers are answered, but not everyone is happy to see Vernon again. Clem Tucker, the richest man in town, is cooking up a business deal that could have dire consequences for Ebb–and he doesn’t like Vernon’s meddling. Nor does the recently arrived Reverend Gault, whose Divine Temple of the Everlasting God Almighty may have something to do with the town’s current troubles. Vernon aims to set them straight, even if it means putting himself and others in danger. But it’s Loretta Parson who needs his strange brand of magic the most–and in the end, Vernon just might need her even more . . . if he’s going to save the little town of Ebb.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:25:03 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,770,602 books! | Top bar: Always visible