Cruel Shoes by Steve Martin

Cruel Shoes (1978)

by Steve Martin

Pure Drivel by Steve Martin (Anonymous user)
    Saturday Night Live: The First Twenty Years by Michael Cader (Anonymous user)
    Shopgirl by Steve Martin (Anonymous user)

Excellent short book of parables, stories, fragments, and literary absurdities from Actor, Comic and Musician Steve Martin. I am happy to have had time to read this now as I think it was well done. It probably couldn't be written now due to Sexism (Chapter titled, She Had the Jugs) and violence (suggestion to destroy works of art in Comedy Events You Can Do).
This book seems modeled on Jonathan Livingston Seagull's wisdom-on-every-page parable. The book design mimics the popular edition of Jonathan Livingston Seagull. It also seems modeled on Alice in Wonderland's logical non-sequiturs for its dry humor (for example The Complete Works of Alredo Francesi). Martin has written other works which since this aspire to higher seriousness, but this is short and still worth reading even now.
B&W Photos. ( )
  sacredheart25 | Apr 21, 2018 |
A collection of short stories so short that they would be called “flash fiction” today, Cruel Shoes highlights Martin’s absurdist sense of humor. The title story involves a shoe store clerk offering every pair of shoes in the store to a client and then saying “you’ve tried everything except for the cruel shoes,” which turn out to have non-Euclidean twists and turns and the client thinks they’re perfect. I’ll be honest, most of the stories make very little sense, but somehow they are still entertaining. Also, Steve Martin looks like a total badass on the cover. It’s a really quick read and I imagine any Steve Martin aficionado will enjoy it. ( )
  Jessiqa | Apr 17, 2018 |
So the good news it is Steve Martin, and this particular copy is from my grandparents - I remember my grandfather re-enacting 'well Ex-cuuuuuuuse me' and being a a 'wild and crazy guy'. I love Steve Martin now, saw him in concert a few years ago with the banjo. I wonder how well the act ages - written down, doesn't seem to be much here. Which of course was the point, all along. Its funny if you feel like laughing. ( )
  kcshankd | Sep 13, 2016 |
Ok, I laughed & laughed. We all know what a wild & crazy guy Steve is, this book proves it…SMILE* ( )
  Madamxtra | Jul 13, 2013 |
I totally get Steve Martin. I think. His humor isn’t always funny, but that’s what makes it so funny sometimes.

When reading Cruel Shoes, a collection of shorts written by Martin, I found myself sometimes laughing out loud, to the concern of my family. Other passages were so funny that they warranted non-laughter. Still others were unfunny, and at this, I had to make a decision as to whether I should laugh anyway or not, just in case somebody saw me reading the book, not laughing, and wondering “Does he even get it?”

Steve Martin is quite a character: a musician, a writer, and actor, and often, all three at once. He can sputter sheer gibberish for 30 minutes and make it funny. While other comedians may try this as well, it typically fails. I think the key differences is that we KNOW that Martin is intelligent. He has a track record. With the other comedians, we wonder if they’re just “special.”

Nevertheless, Martin shows off his skill with the pen in this collection, and his skill compares to his mastery of acting, or even of banjo playing. Ultimately, if you enjoy his work, for whatever media that may be, you may also enjoy this little volume. ( )
  aethercowboy | Dec 28, 2012 |
To the audience, without whom I would only be myself.
You are walking down a country road.

Martin's extravagant sense of wit marks this collection of previously unreleased short pieces introducing such potential classics as "Women without Bones," "How to Fold Soup," and "Dogs in My Nose."

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,227,607 books! | Top bar: Always visible