Annie on My Mind by Nancy Garden

Annie on My Mind (1982)

by Nancy Garden

Pink by Lili Wilkinson (kaledrina)
    The Bermudez Triangle by Maureen Johnson (kaledrina)
    My Tiki Girl by Jennifer McMahon (CurrerBell)
    CurrerBell: Annie on My Mind is the classic; but, first published in 1982, it may be a bit dated in the issue that it addresses. My Tiki Girl (2008), which deals with peer pressure and harassment and also includes issues of children suffering from parental abuse or neglect, may be of more immediate contemporary interest.… (more)
    Happy Endings Are All Alike by Sandra Scoppettone (veritas)
    Nothing Pink by Mark Hardy (weener)
    Crush (Orca Soundings) by Carrie Mac (infiniteletters)
    Dare Truth or Promise by Paula Boock (Aquila)
    Aquila: This won the NZ children's book awards a few years back.

This is a fantastic book for a young adult questioning their sexuality. ( )
  Max_Tardiff | Oct 29, 2018 |
Such a sweet love story. ( )
  Katie80 | Oct 8, 2018 |
Oh my God! This book was so absolutely amazing!

Starting off, I'd felt a bit bored, but once I really got into it, I couldn't stop reading! I just had to read the next chapter!

Annie On My Mind was eye opening, mind boggling, heartwarming and heart-wrenching all at the same time!

Liza and Annie's story was full of complications, misery, pain but also joy and love. It was a story to suffer through and still one to cherish.

I'd probably read it all over again, again and again, because that's how amazing it was!

5 stars, no doubt about that! ( )
  Swibells | Nov 28, 2017 |
A 1982 novel by about the romantic relationship between two 17-year-old New York City girls
  lilac_library | Oct 27, 2016 |
Oh for pete's sake. I was going to say that this book is somewhat dated, a little contrived, but overall lovely and still valuable to those who still feel a bit squeamish about lesbian love.

But then I read the gr community reviews. Such bigotry, such hate... I'm appalled that there are still people, apparently people with access to the English language and to books, who don't recognize that love is what matters, and that it's none of their business what happens in other people's bedrooms.

So, read this book and get the word out so fewer people have to deal with being called 'sinful' or 'disturbed' or 'sick' just because they love someone of the same gender. Some day this book will be only of relevance to historians. Would that day come soon. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |

This groundbreaking book, first published in 1982, is the story of two teenage girls whose friendship blossoms into love and who, despite pressures from family and school that threaten their relationship, promise to be true to each other and their feelings.

Of the author and the book, the Margaret A. Edwards Award committee said, "Nancy Garden has the distinction of being the first author for young adults to create a lesbian love story with a positive ending. Using a fluid, readable style, Garden opens a window through which readers can find courage to be true to themselves."

The 25th Anniversary Edition features a full-length interview with the author by Kathleen T. Horning, Director of the Cooperative Children's Book Center. Ms. Garden answers such revealing questions as how she knew she was gay, why she wrote the book, censorship, and the book's impact on readers - then and now.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:48 -0400)

Liza tries to put aside her feelings for Annie after the disaster at Foster Academy, but eventually she allows love to triumph over the ignorance of others.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,262,780 books! | Top bar: Always visible