Annie on My Mind by Nancy Garden

Annie on My Mind (1982)

by Nancy Garden

Young adult book about two 17-year-old girls falling in love. First published in 1982, it was groundbreaking at the time. I only discovered it recently, although I was a big fan of Garden's fantasy, Fours Crossing, published just the year before—indicating that Annie must not have been available in the libraries I frequented. A nice book, and definitely tame by present standards. The 25th anniversary commemorative edition that I borrowed from the library contained an interesting interview with the author. ( )
  SylviaC | Nov 24, 2015 |
I can't believe I hadn't read this novel before, as it's obviously a classic among lesbian young adult literature. A very sweet story that still feels very contemporary, even though it was written more than 25 years ago. All young people should have the chance to read a story like this, just to see what love between girls might look like from the inside. ( )
  PerpetualRevision | Oct 25, 2015 |
Classic (published in 1982) coming of age story, this book was one of the first to positively portray teen lesbians finding both themselves and each other. Highly controversial in the early 80s, it is now found in most school and public libraries serving young teens. One of the first "coming out" stories to not end in violence/suicide/or some other horrible fate for the main characters. (Karen) ( )
  GayCityLGBTLibrary | Jun 6, 2015 |
Oh for pete's sake. I was going to say that this book is somewhat dated, a little contrived, but overall lovely and still valuable to those who still feel a bit squeamish about lesbian love.

But then I read the gr community reviews. Such bigotry, such hate... I'm appalled that there are still people, apparently people with access to the English language and to books, who don't recognize that love is what matters, and that it's none of their business what happens in other people's bedrooms.

So, read this book and get the word out so fewer people have to deal with being called 'sinful' or 'disturbed' or 'sick' just because they love someone of the same gender. Some day this book will be only of relevance to historians. Would that day come soon. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
Annie on My Mind. By Nancy Garden. McGraw-Hill Ryerson, Ltd. 1982. 234 pages. 0374303665. Grades 8-12.

When Liza happens upon Annie at the Metropolitan Museum of Art, she feels despite their different personalities and backgrounds that she has met a lifelong friend. As they grow closer, however, Liza realizes that her feelings for Annie run deeper than just friendship – and luckily Annie feels the same way. Their relationship blooms tenderly until it is discovered, and Liza feels like her life is crashing down around her. Though societal attitudes towards homosexuality have changed (for the most part), Garden’s novel is still a seminal text in the canon of lesbian YA fiction, especially for lesbian youth awash in pop-culture depictions of male homosexuality (not that the “gay best friend” trope does much in advancing representation of gay male youth). The novel’s themes are universal – teenage love, acceptance, self-discovery – and Garden’s deft portrayal of the girls’ romantic intertwining from Liza’s point of view is a compelling and realistic depiction of teenage emotions. The work has aged well (in both its New York setting and observant representation of adolescence, it reads like a lesbian Judy Blume novel) – slight chronological dissonances do not detract from the emotional journey upon which the invested reader accompanies Liza, as many gay teenagers do face similar issues in forging romantic relationships, coming out, and discovering themselves. Keep Annie on My Mind on the shelf for all the young women, questioning or self-affirmed, who would like to read and learn from the experiences of those who came before them. Recommended. ( )
  tierneyc | Oct 23, 2014 |

This groundbreaking book, first published in 1982, is the story of two teenage girls whose friendship blossoms into love and who, despite pressures from family and school that threaten their relationship, promise to be true to each other and their feelings.
Of the author and the book, the Margaret A. Edwards Award committee said, "Nancy Garden has the distinction of being the first author for young adults to create a lesbian love story with a positive ending. Using a fluid, readable style, Garden opens a window through which readers can find courage to be true to themselves."
The 25th Anniversary Edition features a full-length interview with the author by Kathleen T. Horning, Director of the Cooperative Children's Book Center. Ms. Garden answers such revealing questions as how she knew she was gay, why she wrote the book, censorship, and the book's impact on readers - then and now.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:48 -0400)

Liza tries to put aside her feelings for Annie after the disaster at Foster Academy, but eventually she allows love to triumph over the ignorance of others.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,957,911 books! | Top bar: Always visible