dismiss

Annie on My Mind by Nancy Garden

Annie on My Mind (original 1982; edition 2007)

by Nancy Garden (Author)

Liza puts aside her feelings for Annie after the disaster at school, but eventually she allows love to triumph over the ignorance of people.
Member:Shareuv
Title:Annie on My Mind
Authors:Nancy Garden (Author)
Info:Square Fish (2007), Edition: 1st, 272 pages

Annie on My Mind by Nancy Garden (1982)

Pink by Lili Wilkinson (kaledrina)
    The Bermudez Triangle by Maureen Johnson (kaledrina)
    My Tiki Girl by Jennifer McMahon (CurrerBell)
    CurrerBell: Annie on My Mind is the classic; but, first published in 1982, it may be a bit dated in the issue that it addresses. My Tiki Girl (2008), which deals with peer pressure and harassment and also includes issues of children suffering from parental abuse or neglect, may be of more immediate contemporary interest.… (more)
    Happy Endings Are All Alike by Sandra Scoppettone (veritas)
    Nothing Pink by Mark Hardy (weener)
    Crush (Orca Soundings) by Carrie Mac (infiniteletters)
    Dare Truth or Promise by Paula Boock (Aquila)
    Aquila: This won the NZ children's book awards a few years back.

All I can say is even after 20+ years, it's still a classic that holds up over time. Well worth the read. ( )
  EdGoldberg | May 16, 2020 |
A very sweet book I'd recommend for everyone! This is less about homosexuality than the complications that arise from falling in love with the "wrong" person, and the romance in here is very tenderly, very sympathetically portrayed, and despite those weird affectations in dialogue and mannerism that seem recurring in all 70s/80s YA fiction (who talks like this??) is realistic. I relate more to GLBT lit for kids than regular lit for kids because it deals with stuff outside the typical straight lady paradigms of shopping, boys, whatever. I read this after watching "Heavenly Creatures", because even though I don't identify as a matricidal young lesbian, I relate to that movie intensely. Same here: we're kind of reconciled to the impossibility of their relationship early on and their outsider status, so the book explores more complex emotions, the girls have hobbies outside of one another, they're more interesting and more dynamic than say, Bella from Twilight, or any of the Judy Blume characters praying for big tits and true love. The prose in here is surprisingly nice, totally navigable for pre-teens but with touches of real grace and eloquence too. Lovely! ( )
  uncleflannery | May 16, 2020 |
Annie On My Mind was published 36 years ago. People, 36 years ago!

Oh! My! God! This is such a astoundingly beautiful book, it should be made compulsory reading in schools instead of being banned.

Read full review @https://www.bestlesficreviews.com/2019/01/annie-on-my-mind-by-nancy-garden.html ( )
  LesficReviews | Feb 6, 2019 |
This is a fantastic book for a young adult questioning their sexuality. ( )
  Max_Tardiff | Oct 29, 2018 |
Such a sweet love story. ( )
  Katie80 | Oct 8, 2018 |
It's raining, Annie.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 149,098,511 books! | Top bar: Always visible