The Fairy Godmother by Mercedes Lackey

The Fairy Godmother (original 2004; edition 2004)

by Mercedes Lackey

Title:The Fairy Godmother
Authors:Mercedes Lackey
Info:Luna (2004), Edition: 1ST, Hardcover, 432 pages
Tags:Fantasy, Magic, Fae, Coming of Age, Romance (Historical), Adventure

The Fairy Godmother by Mercedes Lackey (2004)

Recently added byfields.steph, sherribelcher, frootbat, Schlyne, private library, gibcat
    Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones (Anonymous user)
    Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen (Alliebadger)
    Godmother: The Secret Cinderella Story by Carolyn Turgeon (generalkala)
    Into the Wild by Sarah Beth Durst (Jenson_AKA_DL)
    Jenson_AKA_DL: For the "fairy tale taking control" theme, which seems rather unusual in and of itself, both of these books qualify.

English (56)  German (1)  All languages (57)
An interesting twist on my favorite fairy tale - I just couldn't get into it :-/ ( )
  MeezCarrie | Aug 31, 2015 |
As I enjoy retold Fairy Tales, particular those with a twist, this seemed like just my sort of story. And for the most part, it was. I enjoyed Lackey's world building, the idea of The Tradition, and the way it shapes the 500 Kingdoms. Elena is a pleasing main character - strong, smart, and feminine without being whiny or bitchy. She was clever and wise in how she handled the issues she confronted. I very much enjoyed the progress of the Prince, and what she did to him. And the love story was well-done, the magic seemed to make sense, and the secondary characters had depth and humor. It did have some flaws - some events were drawn out too long while other things were just glossed over. It left the story feeling slightly lopsided. And the sex scenes took me by surprise - way more graphic that I was anticipating and they added very little to the story. Despite these minor things, over all, this was a fun read and an excellent addition to my fairy tale collection. ( )
  empress8411 | Aug 16, 2015 |
ever read and liked fairy tales? Not the Disneyfied limited versions but the real ones? where the characters really suffered before the happy ending (if they had one). What happens if Cinderella's prince is a 10 year old boy or doesn't exist? Why does the fairy god mother not intervene until the end? This book answers your questions with a wonderful twist and brings up fairy tales that haven't been popularized yet. ( )
  karidrgn | Jul 6, 2015 |
Should satisfy both fantasy and romance readers. I loved the world-building. The characters were believable, sufficiently complex. A little fluffy - I find I'm having to think a bit to recall exactly what I liked about it. But plenty of fun. Bottom line, if you are trying to decide whether or not to read it, I recommend you do. If you think it's probably not something you'd like, don't. Simple as that, really. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
Fairy stories seem predestined to have happy endings but what if the timing was off? What if Cinderella was ready for the ball before the prince was grown up. This is the story that Mercedes Lackey presents in The Fairy Godmother. Our potential Cinderella is Elena, who has been mistreated and bullied by her evil stepmother and two stepsisters and is due to be given her chance at a happy ending but, unfortunately the prince is only eleven years old. The fairy godmother resolves the problem was offering Elena the chance of training to be a fairy godmother herself, and Elena jumps at the offer.

One of the first things we learn is that the fate of the people who inhabit these Five Hundred Kingdoms are steered through life by “Tradition”. Fates are pre-ordained and it is the job of the fairy godmother to help people to reach their appointed destinations. Of course, the work isn't all easy going, fate can be a fickle companion and people sometimes fight their destiny. Elena herself wonders if her choice means that true love will not find her, but she need not worry as all too soon Alexander arrives on the scene.

The Fairy Godmother was a light and fun story that takes the traditional Cinderella tale and twists it into something equally as magical. The author’s light touch and humor makes this story seem fresh and new. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | Apr 7, 2015 |
Dedicated to the members of the FDNY, lost 9/11/01
This is not the way to spend a beautiful spring morning!

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0373802455, Mass Market Paperback)

From the bestselling author of the Heralds of Valdemar series comes an enchanting novel.

In the land of the Five Hundred Kingdoms, if you can't carry out your legendary role, life is no fairy tale. . .

Elena Klovis was supposedto be her kingdom's Cinderella--until fate left her with a completely inappropriate prince! So she set out to make a new life for herself. But breaking with "The Tradition" was no easy matter--until she got a little help from her own fairy godmother. Who promptly offered Elena a most unexpected job. . .

Now, instead of sleeping in the chimney. She has to deal with arrogant, stuffed-shirt princes who keep trying to rise above their place in the tale. And there's one in particular who needs to be dealt with. . .

Sometimes a fairy godmother's work is never done. . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:58 -0400)

In the mystical realm of the Five Hundred Kingdoms, the newest Fairy Godmother tries to help three impossible princes find the women of their dreams, while fending off an evil sorcerer who is determined to destroy her kingdom.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,908,600 books! | Top bar: Always visible