The Fairy Godmother by Mercedes Lackey

The Fairy Godmother (original 2004; edition 2004)

by Mercedes Lackey

Member:ktoonen
Title:The Fairy Godmother
Authors:Mercedes Lackey
Info:Luna (2004), Edition: 1ST, Hardcover, 432 pages
Tags:Fantasy, Magic, Fae, Coming of Age, Romance (Historical), Adventure

The Fairy Godmother by Mercedes Lackey (2004)

Recently added bycmlasky, deshanya, Ray.Gun, terralech
    Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones (Anonymous user)
    Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen (Alliebadger)
    Godmother: The Secret Cinderella Story by Carolyn Turgeon (generalkala)
    Into the Wild by Sarah Beth Durst (Jenson_AKA_DL)
    Jenson_AKA_DL: For the "fairy tale taking control" theme, which seems rather unusual in and of itself, both of these books qualify.

English (50)  German (1)  All languages (51)
I can't wait to read the next one!!!! ( )
  CAMMD | Aug 4, 2014 |
I like the mash-up of various fairy tales, and the background story that justifies this world. Not sure Elena's maturation is convincing, particularly as she is shown as a worker, but not particularly clever or ambitious in the first chapter. She's been waiting for that prince, though she consciously rejects that trope. The prince that eventually does appear is very nicely drawn. His growing awareness and self-awareness make the story come alive. He and his brothers and Elena's staff are all well-rounded characters. Enjoyable. Will read more of the series. ( )
  2wonderY | Oct 22, 2013 |
As I commented before, Elena is a wonderful main character; her initial ignorance to the Tradition and magic provides a clever way for Lackey to introduce these concepts to new readers of the series. I highly recommend reading this book as an opening to the series (not only because Lackey intended it that way, but also as a personal suggestion).

Also, I love that Alexander isn't the traditional Hero or romantic partner. He takes some refining and a lot of patience to deal with, which in my case made him more endearing over time. Lackey conducted his change brilliantly.

hanbridturner | Sep 25, 2013 |
I threw these notes together for a review when I first finished the book, but am now too lazy to put them into paragraph form. Here are the thoughts themselves.

Magic system – fabulous premise, mediocre development and execution

Protagonist – Elena has no character development, is basically a Mary Sue

Love interest – Alexander has much more development, and by the end of the book seems more like the protagonist than Elena does

Romance – choppy, rushed, and underdeveloped

Side characters – one-dimensional

Writing – basic

Plot - predictable; only twist of actual moral stress turned out not to be the case, diminishing what little tension this story actually had

Two stars because the magic system's premise is good enough to bump it up from one. Really, the rest of the book did nothing for me. ( )
  NeitherNora | Sep 7, 2013 |
After the death of her father Elena lives under the tyrannical rule of her step-mother and greedy, spoiled stepsisters. A Cinderella-esque beginning, but, at the age of 21, Elena has given up yearning for her prince charming (or the farmer’s son, or, really, anyone) to come and sweep her off her feet and away from “The Horrids”. Then, a Fairy Godmother offers Elena a chance for a new life.
In a land where fairy tales are shaped into being by the mysterious Tradition, an overwhelming force that steers suitable characters into sometimes not-so-happily-ever-after tales, Elena chooses to use the Tradition to her advantage to create her own tale.
Lackey brings fairy tale classics to a new level with this book (and the rest of the Five Hundred Kingdoms series). I love this incorporation of the stories I heard as a child. I also love the explanation of how the magical world of damsels in distress, princes, Godmothers, evil sorceresses, curses, and happily-ever-afters is pushed along by the Tradition. One of my favorite books and one I love to reread. ( )
  Caitiekat | Aug 3, 2013 |
Dedicated to the members of the FDNY, lost 9/11/01
This is not the way to spend a beautiful spring morning!

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0373802455, Mass Market Paperback)

From the bestselling author of the Heralds of Valdemar series comes an enchanting novel.

In the land of the Five Hundred Kingdoms, if you can't carry out your legendary role, life is no fairy tale. . .

Elena Klovis was supposedto be her kingdom's Cinderella--until fate left her with a completely inappropriate prince! So she set out to make a new life for herself. But breaking with "The Tradition" was no easy matter--until she got a little help from her own fairy godmother. Who promptly offered Elena a most unexpected job. . .

Now, instead of sleeping in the chimney. She has to deal with arrogant, stuffed-shirt princes who keep trying to rise above their place in the tale. And there's one in particular who needs to be dealt with. . .

Sometimes a fairy godmother's work is never done. . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:51:48 -0400)

In the mystical realm of the Five Hundred Kingdoms, the newest Fairy Godmother tries to help three impossible princes find the women of their dreams, while fending off an evil sorcerer who is determined to destroy her kingdom.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,329,110 books! | Top bar: Always visible