Too Close to Home by Linwood Barclay

Too Close to Home (original 2008; edition 2009)

by Linwood Barclay

Title:Too Close to Home
Authors:Linwood Barclay
Info:Bantam (2009), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 512 pages
Collections:Your library, To read
Tags:Fiction, mystery/thriller

Too Close to Home by Linwood Barclay (2008)

English (36)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  All languages (39)
As a latecomer to discover Linwood Barclay’s novels, my first read in 2013 was "No Time for Goodbye". WoW! I couldn't imagine anything another novel more riveting or powerful at the time. However, I started reading “Too Close to Home” and read it in two (2) days. I couldn't put it down! Thank goodness I opened the book on a weekend! WoW! In a quiet neighborhood, on an ordinary night, murder and mayhem intrude and family secrets and community secrets begin to unravel. It’s an absolutely incredible speed boat ride of suspense and chilling excitement from cover-to-cover and yet I wanted to read the novel as though on a sailboat on the calmest of waters to catch every detail of the experience so I didn’t miss a clue in the descriptions or dialogue, and to understand every nuance in each characterization. It was intense, intricate, and presented at a pace that was fast and furious and yet didn’t skip a beat. There are only three words to share, “Don’t miss it!”

After adding a comment to the author’s Facebook page about the incredible whirlwind I felt reading “Too Close to Home”, I learned that many of the characters will return in this year’s release of the title, “Broken Promise”. I can’t wait! ( )
  Corduroy7 | Mar 15, 2015 |
What a great book!
The Langleys are going on vacation for a week so their neighbor Derek Cutter, who is their son`s Adam best friend decides to hide in the house so he can have a 'Love nest' with his girlfriend. Unfortunately, Mrs. Langley is not feeling well and they come back a few hours later. Derek, afraid to be founf out, decides to hide until the coast is clear. Too bad for him, someone knoks on the door and kills the Langleys. Who wants them dead and why are the Cutters involved in this?

The suspense was right on. The story was moving at the right pace. A page turner! ( )
  dom76 | Dec 31, 2014 |
Knew the answer before halfway through the book. Hate that. ( )
  olegalCA | Dec 9, 2014 |
Knew the answer before halfway through the book. Hate that. ( )
  olegalCA | Dec 9, 2014 |
Another interesting thriller from Linwood Barclay. This time there are so many murders, I wondered which ones I should focus on. Barclay does a great job of managing the information critical to the reader, and gives us good depth of character for the principal players.

I'm always awaiting another Linwood Barclay novel. ( )
  Patbilly | Apr 29, 2014 |
This book follows last year's acclaimed No Time for Goodbye..This also has some unexpected twists and turns, not to mention some very good red herrings, but while I was kept guessing right to the end, the surprise finale was unconvincing.
added by vancouverdeb | editguardian.co.uk (Jan 15, 2011)

Linwood Barclayprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Aurstad, ToreTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Barfoed, ErikTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fredholm, ElisabetTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Neetha.
Derek figured, when the time came, the crawlspace would be the best place to hide.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 055359043X, Mass Market Paperback)

Critically acclaimed and bestselling author Linwood Barclay brings terror closer than ever before in a stunning thriller in which murder strikes in the place we should feel safest of all….

In a quiet neighborhood, in the house next door, a family is brutally murdered for no apparent reason. You can’t help thinking, It could have been us. And you start to wonder: What if we’re next?

Promise Falls isn’t the kind of community where families are shot to death in their own homes. But how well did Jim and Ellen Cutter really know their neighbors—or the darker secrets of their small town? They don’t have to look further than their own marriage to know that things aren’t always what they seem. Now the Cutters and their son, Derek, must face the unthinkable: that a murderer isn’t just stalking too close to home…but is inside it already.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:36 -0400)

Using his neighbor's house to spend some private time with his girlfriend while the Barclays are on vacation, Derek Cutter suddenly becomes the prime suspect in a small-town murder case when the Barclays return home early and are unexpectedly killed--with Derek still hiding in their basement.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,887,902 books! | Top bar: Always visible