Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen

Water for Elephants (original 2006; edition 2006)

by Sara Gruen, David LeDoux (Reader), John Randolph Jones (Reader)

22,044104359 (4.08)1 / 816
Member:laur04
Title:Water for Elephants
Authors:Sara Gruen
Other authors:David LeDoux (Reader), John Randolph Jones (Reader)
Info:HighBridge Company (2006), Edition: Unabridged, Audio CD
Rating:***

Water for Elephants: A Novel by Sara Gruen (2006)

Geek Love by Katherine Dunn (Pax_Biblio, starfishian)
    The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern (LindsayGentles)
    The Autobiography of Mrs. Tom Thumb: A Novel by Melanie Benjamin (Alliebadger)
    Alliebadger: Both well-written stories about the performing life. Very different sides of it, and in very different time periods, but both well-written and exciting.
    Mr. Vertigo by Paul Auster (Smiler69)
    Smiler69: Set during the Great Depression, a young boy is taught how to fly to become part of a travelling vaudeville act.
    Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck (shesinplainview)
    Nights at the Circus by Angela Carter (Pax_Biblio)
    The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck (sturlington)
    The spangled road by Borden Deal (VictoriaPL)
    Seabiscuit: An American Legend by Laura Hillenbrand (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Though Gruen's story is fiction and Hillenbrand's journalistic nonfiction, both reveal relationships between humans and animals in the Great Depression's entertainment field. Each describes the backstage training, care, and abuse of performing animals and people in candid, engaging language.… (more)
    At the Water's Edge by Sara Gruen (Eowyn1)
    Holy Fools by Joanne Harris (ecleirs24)
    The Gargoyle by Andrew Davidson (heidilove)
    heidilove: If the power of story compels you, you'll like this as well.
    Burning Bright by Tracy Chevalier (PaperbackPirate)
    PaperbackPirate: circus
    The Circus in Winter by Cathy Day (sibyllacumaea)
    Cat Man: A Novel by Edward Hoagland (Stbalbach)
    Stbalbach: Considered by some (in the business) to be the best (most accurate) circus novel ever written.
    One Good Dog by Susan Wilson (SATURNBEAR)
    SATURNBEAR: A great story of animals and people coming together and overcoming painful histories.
    Walking on Air by Pierre Delattre (cammykitty)
    Daisy Fay and the Miracle Man by Fannie Flagg (Cecilturtle)
    Little Heathens by Mildred Armstrong Kalish (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Readers of Water for Elephants may enjoy reading this memoir of farm life during the Great Depression; though the experiences are rather different, Little Heathens offers a complementary view of the period.
    The Catch Trap by Marion Zimmer Bradley (Hibou8)

English (1,021)  Dutch (4)  Spanish (4)  French (2)  Norwegian (2)  Finnish (2)  Danish (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Italian (1)  German (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (1,043)
Gritty, sensual and charged with dark secretsinvolving love, murder, and a majestic, mute heroine.
  PendleHillLibrary | Feb 10, 2016 |
This book was recommended to me by a friend- and I'm so grateful that I took the time to read it.
*******SOME SPOILERS**************

I'd like to start out by saying, that when I'm 90 (or 93?) I hope to have the same kind of moxy as the protagonist of the story. I hope that if I am placed in a nursing home, that I'm still right of mind to be feisty.

That being said, after the first few chapters, the story was rather predictable, something I normally do not enjoy. What I hadn't planned on, was developing relationships with each character. You felt the pain of Jacob's parents death, the agony of identifying them in the morgue, the desperation as he hopped the train. But it wasn't just the protagonist, even the smaller characters of the book you grew to love.

Along with falling in love with the characters, I absolutely loved all the detail put into the book. The colors of the costumes, the sounds, the conditions of the train cars. What I wasn't expecting was the surprise condition of August. Personally, I just thought he was loony, or bi-polar, so when the truth came out, it absolutely made sense.

All in all, this was a terrific book. I did not watch the movie prior, so I hope that doesn't ruin my feelings. ( )
  mspoet569 | Feb 9, 2016 |
This may be one of my favorite books. The author did an excellent job of creating a realistic and believable world, especially since she had no personal experience with circus' prior to writing this novel. I loved how she wove in details that seemed minor but still added to the story. The only thing I didn't really like was the death of Walter, but in order for the book to have a legitimate ending it probably was the only way to close that storyline. I was worried near the end that this was going to have some surprise ending, like discovering that Jacob was just like the other old man in the home, that all of his memories were false, but he believed them so much that they became real to him. I was very glad that did not happen! ( )
  twileteyes | Feb 4, 2016 |
Did not like the amount of graphic animal cruelty, the domestic violence, gritty circus life details. Too dreary. ( )
  Erika.D | Jan 28, 2016 |
So good! ( )
  Kathiroo | Jan 25, 2016 |
It's a favorite of book clubs and reading groups, and is supposedly rife with parallels between the protagonist, Jacob Jankowski and Jacob, grandson of Abraham, in the Bible. I wish one of you would tell me what they are. They are not obvious to me, other than a cryptic "Jacob's ladder" parallel to the ladder on the train cars that give access to the roof and that will be important late in the story. What is obvious to me is this is a book about memory, something elephants are famous for and something humans are famous for treating as reliable when it isn't.
added by paradoxosalpha | editDaily Kos, Limelite (Jul 28, 2011)

WOW! This book has been sitting on my bookshelf for longer than I care to admit. Something about it drew me in enough to buy it but there always seemed to be something else that I would rather be reading so, it sat and sat and sat. I am so glad that I finally challenged myself to read it because it has to be one of my favourite books in a LOOOOOOONG time. What a great story.

While I know that the book is a work of fiction, it really did feel like I was right there, in the circus, with Jacob, Marlena and August. I could see each of them (and of course Jacob was as yummy as Edward ~Robert Pattinson~), I could touch the animals, hear the music and feel the crunch of the peanuts beneath my feet. I loved that each of the chapters started with a picture showing the history of the circus because it brought me to the right time frame in my mind. The movement between Jacob as a 90 (or 93) year old in a nursing home and Jacob as a man in his early 20's were seemless. In some novels past, the 'current' story seemed forced and very out of place but here, it was a welcome part of the story.

Overall, I feel like this is a book that anyone would enjoy. Whether you are an adult, a child, a tween, a senior, this book will delight you! It is a fast, fun read. Please pick it up and spend some time aboard the train with the 'Benzini Brothers Most Spectacular Show on Earth'.

At its finest, "Water for Elephants" resembles stealth hits like "The Giant's House," by Elizabeth McCracken, or "The Lovely Bones," by Alice Sebold, books that combine outrageously whimsical premises with crowd-pleasing romanticism. But Gruen's prose is merely serviceable, and she hurtles through cataclysmic events, overstuffing her whiplash narrative with drama (there's an animal stampede, two murders and countless fights).

What goes on under the big top is nothing compared with the show backstage.
added by Shortride | editTime, Lev Grossman (Jul 16, 2006)

Sara Gruenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Jones, John RandolphNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
LeDoux, DavidNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Manson,CharlesJacket Photosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Werner, Honijacket designsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I meant what I said, and I said what I meant...
An elephant's faithful--one hundred per cent!
--Theodor Seuss Geisel, Horton Hatches the Egg, 1940
For Bob, still my secret weapon
I am ninety. Or ninety-three. One or the other.
Only three people were left under the red and white awning of the grease joint: Grady, me, and the fry cook. (Prologue)
The idea for this book came unexpectedly: In early 2003 I was gearing up to write an entirely different book when the Chicago Tribune ran an article on Edward J. Kelty, a photographer who followed traveling circuses around America in the 1920s and '30s. (Author's Note)
Is where you’re from the place you’re leaving or where you have roots?
I wasn’t aware of dozing, but that’s how it goes these days. I seem to slip in and out of time and space.
With a secret like that, at some point the secret itself becomes irrelevant. The fact that you kept it does not.

Jacob Jankowski is left without money and family when his parents are killed suddenly in an automobile accident. He leaves veterinarian school right before he finishes his final exam and accidentally becomes the veterinarian for the Benzini Brothers Circus. There he meets Rosie the Elephant and Marlene, a beautiful (and married) performer in the circus.

AR Level 4.4, 14 pts

A novel of star-crossed lovers, set in the circus world circa 1932. When Jacob Jankowski, recently orphaned and suddenly adrift, jumps onto a passing train, he enters a world of freaks, grifters, and misfits, a second-rate circus struggling to survive during the Great Depression, making one-night stands in town after endless town. A veterinary student who almost earned his degree, Jacob is put in charge of caring for the circus menagerie. It is there that he meets Marlena, the beautiful young star of the equestrian act, who is married to August, the charismatic but twisted animal trainer. He also meets Rosie, an elephant who seems untrainable until he discovers a way to reach her.--From publisher description.… (more)

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,191,292 books! | Top bar: Always visible