Double Indemnity by James M. Cain

Double Indemnity (original 1936; edition 1989)

by James M. Cain

Member:Chris_Grosvenor
Title:Double Indemnity
Authors:James M. Cain
Info:Vintage (1989), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 115 pages
Collections:Novels
Rating:**

Double Indemnity by James M. Cain (1936)

English (34)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  All (36)
Double Indemnity was one of the defining movies of the Film Noir era and, having read the source novel you can see why. The story is taut and lean, without an ounce of fat on it. The plot is full of double crosses, the archetypal femme fatale and the poor schmuck who falls for her charms.

Told in the first person by Insurance salesman Huff, this is a dark, twisted tale of murder. James M. Cain's prose is sharp and to the point, maybe not as romantic as Chandler or Hammett, but tougher and the story moves along at a rapid pace.

One of the great thrillers. ( )
  David.Manns | Nov 28, 2016 |
Very intriguing. Once I started I could not put it down. I've always loved mystery novels. And this one was amazing. I got this novel asigned for my movie and literature class and was plesantly surprised by how much i enjoyed it. This novel is about murder and I love the way it was done. Ive always read the ones where you are trying to figure out who dun it? but on this one you know. You just have to wonder Are they going to catch him? ( )
  miss_booklion | Nov 6, 2016 |
Cain's original ending is so much more complicated and satisfying than the movie version. Who knew? ( )
  AnnAnderson | Jun 25, 2016 |
Huff, an insurance agent, meets Phyllis, a lonely housewife at home. She’s ready for action: she wants to murder her husband. There’s more to the story than that, as there always is with this type of thing, but all the fun of this novel is the finding out. Nothing beats the ending, though: death incarnate looms over a man, like the moon, which is a thief: it steals its fire from the sun; although in itself, the moon is dead, waxen, an inert body always staring, always staring. That is, the dark side of the moon rises w/o being seen. ( )
  evamat72 | Mar 31, 2016 |
The book the movie with Fred McMurray, Barbara Stanwyck, and Edward G. Robinson is based upon. I liked Keyes. He called it like it was but he could not prove it. I cannot say I liked the book better than the movie. There are changes in the movie but the story line is similar. The endings are different but both are plausible endings. I'm glad I read it. It is one of the few books of which I do not hate the movie. ( )
  Sheila1957 | Mar 17, 2016 |
I drove out to Glendale to put three new truck drivers on a brewery company bond, and then I remembered this renewal over in Hollywoodland.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0679723226, Paperback)

When smalltime insurance salesman Walter Huff meets seductive Phyllis Nirdlinger, the wife of one of his wealthy clients, it takes him only minutes to determine that she wants to get rid of her husband--and not much longer to decide to help her do it. Walter knows that accident insurance pays double indemnity on railroad mishaps, so he and Phyllis plot frantically to get Nirdlinger on--and off--a train without arousing the suspicions of the police, the insurance company, Nirdlinger's dishy daughter, her mysterious boyfriend, or Nirdlinger himself. This brief but complex novel is a perfect example of the ordinary-guy-gone-disastrously-wrong story that Cain always pulls off brilliantly.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:44 -0400)

Walter Huff is an insurance investigator like any other until one day he meets the beautiful and dangerous Phyllis Nirdlinger and falls under her spell. Together they plot to kill her husband and split the insurance. It'll be the perfect murder... Double Indemnity is the classic tale of an evil woman motivated by greed who corrupts a weak man motivated by lust.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,835,118 books! | Top bar: Always visible