Frog and toad together by Arnold Lobel

Frog and toad together (original 1971; edition 1972)

by Arnold Lobel

Member:AlyshaKnandel
Title:Frog and toad together
Authors:Arnold Lobel
Info:New York, Harper & Row [1972]
Tags:Fantasy

Frog and Toad Together by Arnold Lobel (1971)

Frog and Toad Together is a short chapter book that is about a close friendship between two friends that are always together. The book has 5 chapters in it and they each tell different stories about their lives. All of the stories are extremely different, but some of my favorite is The Garden and Cookies. In The Garden, Frog give Toad some seeds to start his very own garden, with the warning that having a garden was a lot of work. Toad took on the challenge and did everything that he could to have his seeds grow. Once his seeds blossomed, he realized how much hard work really pays off in the end. Cookies is a chapter on the practice of will power. Toad made cookies to share with Frog, they were the best cookies ever, but they didn't want to eat all of them so they came up with different ideas to not eat the cookies. This book would be a great book to read during different parts of the year. I would read The Garden towards the end of the year to keep my students motivated to work hard. This would also be a great take-home book for students to read with their guardians. Genre: realistic fiction, fantasy. ( )
  amassingale | Jan 23, 2015 |
Frog and Toad are best friends and they do everything together. When Toad admires the flowers in Frog's garden, Frog gives him seeds to grow a garden of his own. When Toad bakes cookies, Frog helps him eat them. And when both Frog and Toad are scared, they are brave. I remember reading Frog and Toad when I was a kid. They are kid transition books.
  bzittlosen | Dec 17, 2014 |
"Toad looked at the sunshine coming through the window. 'Frog,' he said, 'I am so glad that you came over.'

"'I always do,' said Frog.

"Then Frog and Toad ate a big breakfast.

"And after that they spent a fine, long day together." ( )
1 vote MeditationesMartini | Dec 16, 2014 |
Summary: Frog and toad are best friends and do everything together. When one bakes, he gives the other cookies; and when one loves the garden, he gives the other seeds to grow his own. When one is scared, they become brave together. The adventures frog and toad endure are filled with affection and humor.

Personal Reaction: I love this book because it shows how two best friends are there for each other through every circumstance. It is good for young children to hear this message.

Classroom Extension Ideas:
1. Have the students write down one memorable event that involved their best friend.
2. Draw a picture that describes this experience.
  kwander | Nov 10, 2014 |
Summary:
This is a collection of five different stories of Frog and Toad. Each story tells about a different event in their lives and the crazy stuff they would do together. In one story Frog chases down Toad's to do list since Frog couldn't (it wasn't on his to do list). Another time, they battle their own giants and dragons and narrowly escape them by running away. The way Frog and Toad approach everyday problems are very entertaining, like when they tie a box to keep them from eating the cookies inside. Overall, this book could be read all in one sitting or one a day.
Personal Reaction:
I was surprised when I saw that there were five different independent stories because from reading it as a child I felt like I remembered one longer story. I also enjoyed the way Frog and Toad share everything and always incorporate the other in everything.

Classroom Extension Ideas:
1) In an older classroom we would use this book as a fun introduction to the difference between a North American frog and a North American toad. Or if doing a unit on frogs read a story a day for a week as a light hearted beginning to the days lesson
2) We could read the Garden chapter and talk about how photosynthesis works and place seeds in water and watch the seeds grow roots and learn that Toad yelling at the seeds really had no effect on them growing or not.
3) Another way we could use this book would be to read the cookie chapter and then make cookies using a recipe in order to practice and learn measurements and chill them and allow them to cut them out and cook that night and ice the next day, assuming no major allergies
  yourfavhannah | Nov 5, 2014 |
For Barbara Dicks
One morning Toad sat in bed.

Similar to Days with Frog and Toad -- a collection of Frog and Toad stories in which the two are shown to be best friends who help each other out (despite not always making the most sensible decisions, either separately or together). A wonderful read for young children, with simple and comforting stories. Preschool-primary.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0064440214, Paperback)

"You know, Toad," said Frog with his mouth full, "I think we should stop eating. We will soon be sick." "You are right," said Toad. "Let us eat one last cookie, and then we will stop." Many "last cookies" later, Frog and Toad come up with an ingenious solution to their uncontrolled cookie consumption.

This pair of amphibian pals likes to do everything together, from list making to flower growing to dragon vanquishing. And when Toad bakes cookies one day, the two try to develop willpower together. The Frog and Toad series, including Frog and Toad Are Friends, Frog and Toad All Year, and Days with Frog and Toad, is perfect for new readers. Simple text and charming, frog-hued pictures combined with sensitive, funny, original stories show children what real friendship is all about. This Newbery Honor Book perpetuates and confirms Frog and Toad's status as children's classics. (Ages 4 to 8) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:43:51 -0400)

Five further adventures of two best friends as they share cookies, plant a garden, and test their bravery.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,167,118 books! | Top bar: Always visible