Bastard out of Carolina: (Plume Essential…

Bastard out of Carolina: (Plume Essential Edition) (edition 2005)

by Dorothy Allison

3,627781,453 (4)118
Member:beachmama43
Title:Bastard out of Carolina: (Plume Essential Edition)
Authors:Dorothy Allison
Info:Plume (2005), Mass Market Paperback, 320 pages
Collections:Read but unowned

Bastard Out of Carolina by Dorothy Allison

Ellen Foster by Kaye Gibbons (shesinplainview)
    The Man with the Golden Arm by Nelson Algren (echo2)
    echo2: These books are both epic, heartbreaking novels that explore the impact of poverty and addiction on families -- albeit they seem nothing alike in any other respect.
    The Glass Castle: A Memoir by Jeannette Walls (RidgewayGirl)
    RidgewayGirl: A memoir of childhood resilience and survival, it resonates in a similar way.
    I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou (Anonymous user)
    The Beans of Egypt, Maine by Carolyn Chute (SJaneDoe)
    Before Women Had Wings by Connie May Fowler (cataylor)
    Baby of the Family by Tina McElroy Ansa (Anonymous user)
    Mother of Pearl by Melinda Haynes (LCBrooks)

completed 7/2/14. 4.5 stars ( )
  bookmagic | Jul 7, 2014 |
Dorothy Allison’s Bastard Out of Carolina is my current new favorite book, and I don’t say that lightly. On Goodreads, I have a “my favorites” list, but I rarely add books to it. Last year I read 48 books and added 2 to the “my favorites” list, so this is big, guys.

Bastard Out of Carolina is the story of Bone, an illegitimate (I hate that term) Southern girl who wants nothing more than for her mother’s allegiance to lie with her, rather than with Bone’s abusive stepfather. From the time she is a small child, Daddy Glen abuses her in every way possible — emotionally, verbally, physically, and sexually. Rather than divorcing Daddy Glen, Bone’s mother foists her daughter off on various aunts to keep her out of the house and out of harm’s way, leaving Bone feeling abandoned, punished, and angry. But Daddy Glen’s abuse continues to escalate throughout the novel, leading to a harrowing ending.

To me, characters are the most important aspect of a novel, and Bone was definitely in my Top 10. She was so honest, and so complex and hurt and strong. I love emotional books, especially ones where you are really rooting for a character who is struggling within herself. Because not only did Bone feel anger toward her mother and stepfather, she also had internal struggles: feeling as though she was “bad,” poor, trash, etc. and didn’t fit within either her immediate or extended family.

I also really appreciate a strong female “cast” in novels, and this book had just that. These women were very real — they struggled with families, illness, poverty. I especially liked Bone’s aunt Raylene, a lesbian who formed a foil for her straight (and often men-dependent) sisters. She was strong and cared for Bone when Bone’s mother could not.

I was captivated by this novel. It wasn’t particularly fast-paced, but it felt as though it was, because Bone’s internal conflict was ever-changing and intense. The last thirty pages were so incredibly heartrending I could hardly put the novel down, even after I had finished it. It was one of those books that I wanted to lament and exclaim and gush over with other people (and I proceeded to highly recommend it to several friends). ( )
  blackrabbit89 | Jun 24, 2014 |
I'm looking forward to rereading this sometime in the future. It's vivid, sometimes painfully so; it's strong and fearless; it's incredibly powerful. I've read wonderful works that I would describe the same way but this narrative is somehow different. There's raw honesty behind each and every word--a rawness that only Allison can write with grit, beauty, and pain. ( )
  AaronKappel | May 22, 2014 |
I was given the opportunity to read this for free in exchange for an honest review from librarything.com.

First off I want to say that I am honored to have received a copy of this book. I was a senior in high school when it was published, and although I do not remember the book's release, I do remember when the movie came out. It was always on my to watch list, but I never got around to seeing the movie. Now I am glad that I did not, at least before I read the book.

I, too, was raised in the south, but I was born 20 years after this books setting. I was also born illegitimate. It really hit home with me at how much different my life COULD have been. My saving grace was that my mother decided she did not ever want to marry, therefore I did not have to worry about any type of "Daddy Glen" being around. This story is heartbreaking and gut wrenching, but all too real in so many households, even today.

It is a shame that in the afterward, the author talks about people STILL banning this book. Maybe it isn't for a young teen, but I feel juniors or seniors in high school would take away good life's lessons by reading it. Possibly about how not to judge people only on their appearance, how other people go through bad things too, or even to just show some compassion. This generation sees sex and violence everywhere now days, and their parents are fine with that. Why not read a semi-biography on someone's pain?

I recommend this book to anyone with a heart. ( )
  LoriHopkins | Mar 16, 2014 |
Shitty book. Not badly written-characters not flat or cardboard. So I really had to ask myself, "Why is this book so bad? Why did I dislike it so much?"

Answer: because it's boring. Sure, stuff happens. It's not logged down with too much detail, or badly executed, or anything like that. The story, the events, the plot itself, is one of the most boring I've ever came across.

We have this little girl. She's born into bad circumstances, and that's okay. But then bad shit happens to her. Again. Again. Lather, rinse, repeat repeat repeat. No conflict, no real struggle, just all this bad shit happening, and it damaging her.

By the time something finally happens in the end, you've given up and slunk into weary page turning, all interest having fled.

Hey, at least I got a thrill when the librarian said "bastard" when she was announcing my fines. ( )
  broccolima | Jan 26, 2014 |
People pay for what they do, and still more for what they have allowed themselves to become. And they pay for it simply: by the lives they lead.

-James Baldwin
For Mama Ruth Gibson Allison 1935-1990
I've been called Bone all my life, but my name's Ruth Anne.

This book is fiction, but it comes so real with the feeling of an amateur autobiography. The author is so descriptive, she takes you to the time and place and puts you right there watching it all happen. It was a very captivating, but sad story.

Ruth Ann Boatwright, a South Carolina bastard, tells her life with her family and the emotional and physical violence she experiences.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,479,803 books! | Top bar: Always visible