Bastard out of Carolina: (Plume Essential…

Bastard out of Carolina: (Plume Essential Edition) (edition 2005)

by Dorothy Allison

Title:Bastard out of Carolina: (Plume Essential Edition)
Authors:Dorothy Allison
Info:Plume (2005), Mass Market Paperback, 320 pages
Collections:Read but unowned

Bastard Out of Carolina by Dorothy Allison

I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou (Anonymous user)
    The Man with the Golden Arm by Nelson Algren (echo2)
    echo2: These books are both epic, heartbreaking novels that explore the impact of poverty and addiction on families -- albeit they seem nothing alike in any other respect.
    Ellen Foster by Kaye Gibbons (shesinplainview)
    Baby of the Family by Tina McElroy Ansa (Anonymous user)
    The Beans of Egypt, Maine by Carolyn Chute (SJaneDoe)
    The Glass Castle: A Memoir by Jeannette Walls (RidgewayGirl)
    RidgewayGirl: A memoir of childhood resilience and survival, it resonates in a similar way.
    Before Women Had Wings by Connie May Fowler (cataylor)
    Mother of Pearl by Melinda Haynes (LCBrooks)

This book was amazing. Allison has a way of setting the scene so clearly you can feel the hot Southern air heavy on your face and feel the gritty dirt between your teeth. Her language is gorgeous yet very sparse; she writes without many adjectives and adverbs but paints a picture more vivid than many books I've read. Best of all, nothing about this book was typical. I kept thinking I knew what was coming next, but it never happened that way. I took a long time to finish it, simply because I didn't want the story to end. Absolutely fantastic. ( )
  howifeelaboutbooks | Nov 4, 2015 |
One of my favorite books of all time. Allison's writing takes you down a southern rural road and onto a back porch among the barefoot children, the cigarette smoking, whiskey drinking Daddy's and the work worn Mama's trying to hold it together, somehow. ( )
  DonnaEverhart | Oct 27, 2015 |
this book is breathtaking. in the breadth and depth of the story and content as well as the writing. i wish i wasn't rushed to finish it because i want to read this one slowly; it deserves to be read slowly. it is so full of emotion (mostly pain, but some hope) that it should be read and sat with, and i didn't really get to do that. but i so appreciate what she has done here - shining a light on abuse and violence in a way that was so important when this was written. she shows such a personal story of living with violence, but also how the community supports and fails the people in it. how inescapable certain things seem - and maybe are - but also the potential people have.

i don't know what i want to say. this book is powerful and beautiful in all the ugliness and so hard and necessary to read. there are only (can i say that?) a few parts that were brutal (although in my memory of it, the entire book was this way, so they are awfully tough and they are memorable) to read, but oh there is so much heartbreak here. as a reader invested in the characters you want so badly for certain things to happen, but as a reader who wants the truth you know that it can't turn out that way. and it wrecks you.

"Mama smiled, joked, slapped ass, and firmly passed back anything that looked like a down payment on something she didn't want to sell."

"Moving gave me a sense of time passing and everything sliding, as if nothing could be held on to anyway. It made me feel ghostly, unreal and unimportant, like a box that goes missing and then turns up but you realize you never needed anything in it anyway."

"'They want you, oh yes, they want you. Till they get you. An't nothing in this world more useless than a hardworking religious fool. It an't that you get religion. Religion gets you and then milks you dry. Won't let you drink a little whiskey. Won't let you make no fat-assed girls grin and giggle. Won't let you do a damn thing except work for what you'll get in the hereafter. I live in the here and now, and I need my sleep on a Sunday morning. But I'll tell you, Bone, I like it that they want me, Catholics and Baptists and Church of Gods and Methodists and Seventh-Day Adventists, all of them hungry for my dirty white hide, my pitiful human soul. Hell! None of them would give two drops of piss for me if I was already part of their saggy-assed congregations.'" ( )
1 vote elisa.saphier | Sep 3, 2015 |
I tore right through this novel and felt the entire spectrum of emotions. Bone and Annie were with me long after I finished the book, forcing me to think about the complex nature of abusive relationships and the vulnerability of children. I remember this novel being very well written.

I do not recommend this to anyone who reads for the sake of getting OUT of depression....

engpunk77 | Aug 14, 2015 |
This certainly has its charms, especially in the way it manages to draw the educated, literary reader into a kind of sympathy with a way of life they would normally see as truly repulsive in every aspect. But that is largely a trick, and it's one that many other writers about the Southern US have pulled off equally successfully. This book really stands or falls on its merits as literature-as-therapy, and it's hard to be objective about that. If you haven't been a victim of childhood abuse you don't feel that you have a right to comment; if you have then your reaction is going to be subjective by definition. It's probably a good thing that there are books like this and that the subject should be one we can talk about freely, and I'm inclined to agree with Allison's argument that it's better on the whole to have artistically-contrived fictional accounts than sob-memoirs, and that the "cult of non-fiction" can become a dangerous distraction from the real issues. But it's also important that we don't allow this sort of thing to devalue literature-as-entertainment. ( )
  thorold | Aug 11, 2015 |
People pay for what they do, and still more for what they have allowed themselves to become. And they pay for it simply: by the lives they lead.

-James Baldwin
For Mama Ruth Gibson Allison 1935-1990
I've been called Bone all my life, but my name's Ruth Anne.

This book is fiction, but it comes so real with the feeling of an amateur autobiography. The author is so descriptive, she takes you to the time and place and puts you right there watching it all happen. It was a very captivating, but sad story.

Ruth Ann Boatwright, a South Carolina bastard, tells her life with her family and the emotional and physical violence she experiences.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,847,560 books! | Top bar: Always visible