Bastard out of Carolina: (Plume Essential…

Bastard out of Carolina: (Plume Essential Edition) (edition 2005)

by Dorothy Allison

Member:beachmama43
Title:Bastard out of Carolina: (Plume Essential Edition)
Authors:Dorothy Allison
Info:Plume (2005), Mass Market Paperback, 320 pages
Collections:Read but unowned

Bastard Out of Carolina by Dorothy Allison

Recently added bysangreal, eurekajim, private library, AntT, leselotte, librarycatnip, jamieschecter, Vernawrites
    Ellen Foster by Kaye Gibbons (shesinplainview)
    The Man with the Golden Arm by Nelson Algren (echo2)
    echo2: These books are both epic, heartbreaking novels that explore the impact of poverty and addiction on families -- albeit they seem nothing alike in any other respect.
    I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou (Anonymous user)
    Baby of the Family by Tina McElroy Ansa (Anonymous user)
    The Beans of Egypt, Maine by Carolyn Chute (SJaneDoe)
    The Glass Castle: A Memoir by Jeannette Walls (RidgewayGirl)
    RidgewayGirl: A memoir of childhood resilience and survival, it resonates in a similar way.
    Before Women Had Wings by Connie May Fowler (cataylor)
    Mother of Pearl by Melinda Haynes (LCBrooks)

This is such a well-written book that one forgets about how distasteful some of the subject matter is. I highly recommend it to anyone who's interested in masterful use of the language. ( )
  AntT | Jan 24, 2015 |
  AntT | Jan 24, 2015 |
First book by author and is semi-autobiographical, it is set in Greenville, South Carolina in the 50's. For some reason I had originally thought this was the story of a black girl, then realized that Ruth "Bones" Boatwright is white. This is a story of family and family loyalties, Bone suffers abuse at the hands of her stepfather, Daddy Glen, and this book is about not only how Bone deals with the abuse, but how her whole family deals with it. Loyalties are tested and hard choices are made. The family is lower-class and poor in the South in the 50's and 60's and the family members often stick to their traditional gender stereotypes. I thought it was really well written, and the story was engaging. It was a can't put down read for me. Being such a controversial book, I have read plenty on the story line, and I may have even seen the movie once. So I knew the general storyline before I read, but that didn't stop me from wanting to know what would happen next. I cried that whole last chapter because I was so invested in the characters.

For more reviews, please read my blog: http://adventuresofabibliophile.blogs.com ( )
  Serinde24 | Sep 27, 2014 |
completed 7/2/14. 4.5 stars ( )
  bookmagic | Jul 7, 2014 |
Dorothy Allison’s Bastard Out of Carolina is my current new favorite book, and I don’t say that lightly. On Goodreads, I have a “my favorites” list, but I rarely add books to it. Last year I read 48 books and added 2 to the “my favorites” list, so this is big, guys.

Bastard Out of Carolina is the story of Bone, an illegitimate (I hate that term) Southern girl who wants nothing more than for her mother’s allegiance to lie with her, rather than with Bone’s abusive stepfather. From the time she is a small child, Daddy Glen abuses her in every way possible — emotionally, verbally, physically, and sexually. Rather than divorcing Daddy Glen, Bone’s mother foists her daughter off on various aunts to keep her out of the house and out of harm’s way, leaving Bone feeling abandoned, punished, and angry. But Daddy Glen’s abuse continues to escalate throughout the novel, leading to a harrowing ending.

To me, characters are the most important aspect of a novel, and Bone was definitely in my Top 10. She was so honest, and so complex and hurt and strong. I love emotional books, especially ones where you are really rooting for a character who is struggling within herself. Because not only did Bone feel anger toward her mother and stepfather, she also had internal struggles: feeling as though she was “bad,” poor, trash, etc. and didn’t fit within either her immediate or extended family.

I also really appreciate a strong female “cast” in novels, and this book had just that. These women were very real — they struggled with families, illness, poverty. I especially liked Bone’s aunt Raylene, a lesbian who formed a foil for her straight (and often men-dependent) sisters. She was strong and cared for Bone when Bone’s mother could not.

I was captivated by this novel. It wasn’t particularly fast-paced, but it felt as though it was, because Bone’s internal conflict was ever-changing and intense. The last thirty pages were so incredibly heartrending I could hardly put the novel down, even after I had finished it. It was one of those books that I wanted to lament and exclaim and gush over with other people (and I proceeded to highly recommend it to several friends). ( )
  blackrabbit89 | Jun 24, 2014 |
People pay for what they do, and still more for what they have allowed themselves to become. And they pay for it simply: by the lives they lead.

-James Baldwin
For Mama Ruth Gibson Allison 1935-1990
I've been called Bone all my life, but my name's Ruth Anne.

This book is fiction, but it comes so real with the feeling of an amateur autobiography. The author is so descriptive, she takes you to the time and place and puts you right there watching it all happen. It was a very captivating, but sad story.

Ruth Ann Boatwright, a South Carolina bastard, tells her life with her family and the emotional and physical violence she experiences.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,127,986 books! | Top bar: Always visible