The Time Machine Did It by John Swartzwelder

The Time Machine Did It (edition 2004)

by John Swartzwelder

Member:EmScape
Title:The Time Machine Did It
Authors:John Swartzwelder
Info:Kennydale Books (2004), Paperback, 144 pages
Collections:All the Ebooks, Calibre Import
Tags:Calibre import

The Time Machine Did It by John Swartzwelder

It was while listening to the DVD Commentary of the Simpsons circa Season 8 or so that I learnt that John Swartzwelder was now churning out novels. Suffice to say, I went "online" (as the young folks say) and ordered a copy of "The Time Machine Did It" from our friends at Amazon.

As other, wiser reviewers have noted, the book is about a time machine. And a dectective named Frank Burly. 'Tis a bizarre sense of humour this Swartzelder has but I found myself laughing laud and often as I read it. I then lent out to a number of miscreants I call my friends and they too reported laughing loud and often. Indeed, one of the people decided they would be better off owning the book and has no plans to return it. Nevermind, my revenge will be both sweet and mindboggling.

I've also started buying other Swartzwelder books and can report there are laughs to be had with those too. ( )
  MiaCulpa | Mar 14, 2014 |
I can see where the jokes are in this book, but didn't really find them funny. It just wasn't for me, essentially. I'm sure it is great for other people. ( )
  g33kgrrl | Dec 29, 2013 |
After receiving this slim volume as an early Christmas gift, I devoured it in one day—laughing my butt off throughout. As the cover so discreetly points out (this fact and the title are the only elements on the front of the book), Swartzwelder is better known as the author of 59 episodes of The Simpsons. The same twisted sense of humor that made the Swartzwelder years so hilarious is in full effect here.

Pretty much everything you need to know is right there on that minimalist cover: there is going to be a time machine involved, and Swartzwelder has proven himself to be a very twisted individual. 59 times, in fact.

The antics of Frank Burly, the world’s stupidest private investigator, found me searching for my Simpsons guide to see who penned Time and Punishment, the Treehouse of Horror episode where Homer inadvertently builds a time machine while trying to fix the toaster. It wasn’t Swartzwelder who wrote it, and maybe this is his way of getting back for not being invited to that party. Whatever his motivation, it’s a hit, and I’m looking forward to cracking open the next episode ... ’erm, book. ( )
1 vote railarson | Dec 14, 2008 |
Not as funny as the other Simpsons writers made it out to be. The familiar Swartzwelder-ian humor is there, but it kind of flops at times. It IS good enough to make me want to read his other novels. ( )
  kaboomcju | Mar 3, 2008 |
Being that this author is an alumni of The Simpsons writing cast, I went out and read this immediately. Fun book and I can almost imagine this character animated as a Simpson. Anyone who likes the show will like this silly book. ( )
  HvyMetalMG | Aug 22, 2007 |

Humor/mystery novel by the writer of 59 episodes of The Simpsons.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:24:15 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,700,204 books! | Top bar: Always visible