Black and Blue: A Novel by Anna Quindlen

Black and Blue: A Novel (edition 2010)

by Anna Quindlen

Member:NStClair
Title:Black and Blue: A Novel
Authors:Anna Quindlen
Info:Random House Trade Paperbacks (2010), Paperback, 320 pages

Black and Blue by Anna Quindlen

English (44)  Dutch (1)  All languages (45)
Although I fear the subject matter has been tackled many times before, this is a well written, non judgemental novel about domestic abuse, recovery and its impact on children. ( )
  Betty.Ann.Beam | Mar 5, 2014 |
My wife and I listened to this on a trip to Texas and while it held our interest was just not as good as some others out there.

Fran Benedetto is a battered wife. She’s an RN whose abusive husband is a cop, and she has seen to what little effect orders of protection have. In fact, three women she had seen in the emergency room after being battered by their husbands of boyfriends were later killed by them despite the supposed legal remedy. So when Bobby, her husband, really smashes her about the face, she enlists the support of Patty Bancroft, the organizer and founder of an agency that relocates women and creates new identities for them so they can escape from their abusive partners.

Her torment lies in the fact that she still loves her husband and his passion. He had a brooding and magnetic personality and loved their son Robert, but his drinking and rages had become more and more violent. She escapes with Robert, a child of about twelve and settles in with a new identity in Florida. She constantly worries that her husband will seek her out and kill her. She knows he has the resources and connections to find her if he wants to. Despite her new name, new job, and new location, everything she does is tempered by the realization that Bobby could show up at any time to take away Robert and beat her again.

Quindlan renders the horrors of spousal abuse so realistically one has to wonder if she herself had perhaps been a battered spouse. There is a strong tension throughout the novel for the reader who wonders just when everything will fall apart and why. It remains a tragedy that society has yet to find a better way to deal with the terrible plight of women who find themselves in such a tragic situation.

ecw0647 | Sep 30, 2013 |
On Sunday, September 26, 2004 I wrote:
I loved reading this book. I hated it when I was finished. This book was definitely one of my favourite's this year.After reading this i wanted to read more books by Anna Quindlen.Next will be Blessings.
  Marlene-NL | Apr 12, 2013 |
i really loved quindlen's columns when she wrote for newsweek so perhaps i had inflated expectations for the first book of hers that i've read. it was actually not bad, just not great. from the work i've done with survivors, i think she gets most of the dynamics of domestic violence, but not all of it. her portrayal of the woman helping is unfortunate, and uncommon, from all that i've seen. also, as an aside because it's not her fault, this edition is fraught with typos. ( )
  elisa.saphier | Apr 2, 2013 |
I think it’s amazing when you meet characters in a book and they become so real that it becomes difficult to think they are just characters. They tell a story, so real, that you feel sympathy, worry, ache. I can only think of a few books that have left me with that feeling after putting the book down and this one was one of them.

Fran is one of the bravest characters I've ever "met". This book certainly tackles mature, sad and sensitive topics, but I thought it was done with an amazing amount of insight and experience. Though reading Quindlen's note at the end, that wasn't the case. I understood the end, it wasn't the perfect fairytale ending we all wish for in life, but it was real. ( )
  traciragas | May 22, 2012 |
For Quin Krovatin

From one writer to another,

with admiration and enormous love.
The first time my husband hit me I was nineteen years old.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0385333137, Paperback)

Oprah Book Club® Selection, April 1998: "The first time my husband hit me I was nineteen years old," begins Fran Benedetto, the broken heroine of Anna Quindlen's Black and Blue. With one sweeping sentence, the door to an abused and tortured world is swung wide open and the psyche of a crushed and tattered self-image exposed. "Frannie, Frannie, Fran"--as Bobby Benedetto liked to call her before smashing her into kitchen appliances--was a young, energetic nursing student when she met her husband-to-be at a local Brooklyn bar. She was instantly captivated by his dark, brooding looks and magnetic personality, but her fascination soon solidified into a marital prison sentence of incessant abuse and the destruction of her own identity. After an especially horrific beating and rape, Fran realizes that the next attack could be the last. Fearing her son would be left alone with Bobby, she escapes one morning with her child. Fran's salvation comes in the form of Patty Bancroft and Co., a relocation agency for abused women that touts better service than the witness protection program. Armed only with a phone number, a few hundred dollars, and the help of several anonymous volunteers, Fran begins a new life. The agency relocates her to Florida, where she becomes Beth Crenshaw, a recently divorced home-care assistant from Delaware. Fran and her son adapt, meeting challenges with unexpected resilience and resolve until their past returns to haunt them. Quindlen renders the intricacies of spousal abuse with eerie accuracy, taking the reader deep within the realm of dysfunctional human ties. However, her vivid descriptions of abuse, emotional disintegration, and acute loneliness at times numb the reader with their realism.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:38:55 -0400)

A nurse escapes her abusive husband, a New York policeman, taking their son with her to Florida. She assumes a new identity and even finds romance, but there is a price, the 10-year-old boy misses his father and she lives in constant fear the father will find them, which he does. The novel analyzes why abused women wait so long to make their break.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,493,134 books! | Top bar: Always visible