No title (1993)

Title:
Authors:
Info:
Collections:

Rebel by Bernard Cornwell (1993)

While not quite the caliber of Cornwell's Warlord Trilogy, this first installment of his Civil War series is entertaining. Nate Starbuck has characteristics similar to much of Cornwell's heroes, although his fellow war fighters are a bit more morally ambiguous than normal. ( )
  bdtrump | May 9, 2015 |
I received a copy via Obsessed by Books in exchange for an honest review

Now I love my biker books and when I heard that Callie was writing one, I couldn't wait to get my hands on it.

I was not disappointed, this was a fantastic read, I was engrossed from page one and I had to read right the way through.

We meet Alexis, minding her own business, walking home to catch the bus, because of the person she is, she tries to help a person in need, but ends up in a situation that she never thought would happen. Alexis is a strong and feisty character and she never loses that throughout the book.

Enter Rebel, we are show this dark sexy man, who I feel has been through alot in his life, but he is strong and the president of the MC that he created. I feel there is alot more to Rebel than meets the eye, and he shows this to Sophie (as she now calls herself). They have a connection and both try to fight it as much as they can.

I loved this book, the only one thing I can say is, Callie why did you leave me hanging like that, the way it ended, I need more Rebel now, I need to know what happens next. I will be on tender hooks waiting for Rebel 2. ( )
  Obsessed-by-Books | Mar 1, 2015 |
An interesting novel. Appears to have been one of Cornwell's earlier ones but it was still good. There are three more in the series and I think I will read them at some point. I would like to see what happens to Nate Starbuck and his friend Adam. ( )
  autumnturner76 | Sep 22, 2014 |

I'm on the fence between 4.5 and 5 star review, however, I'll admit that I loved it, flaws and all, but more of that at the end.

World:

Wow, thank you. An author who writes with pronounceable names. While I'm used to spending more time decoding word sounds AND trying to figure out what the item is, you don't have to do that here, even if there are some unique words.

The setting was beautifully described. From the battlefields to the kingdoms, you always have a clear picture in your mind, but it didn't clutter the pages so much that i skimmed. Excellent job here.

Characters:

Wyl, I loved him. I cried when he wouldn't. For a coming to age story, I just felt this was perfectly executed. His struggles were 100% real and applicable to younger MG and up. There were times, I encouraged him forth, and other times I tried to protect him. Any young man or parent can easily identify with his bravery and heart.

The others ... While I understood what was happening, and these characters were also well written, I didn't really connect with anyone except the other young boy. This of course can and surely will change in the future as I await the release of the next books.

Plot:

The story itself reads as not only the beginning of the series, but a true coming of age/station for Wyl. We watch him grow-up, stumble, fight, and persevere. A bit more action in the beginning would've been nice to move it on a little faster. It wasn't anything major, and I still managed to read the story from beginning to end in less than eight hours. There are a few sub-plots that arise and I felt they were executed well too.

Things that didn't quite work for me:

Not enough explanation on the magic of the weather-mage ... but I love magic in stories so this could just be me. Little explanation about Wyl's sire since I have a sneaky suspicion this is on special kid, or maybe it's wishful thinking.

A few info dumps, but I've witnessed worse, and for children with budding imaginations, sometimes more is better ... a lot of talking too, but kids do that, so I'm not certain if this is really a fault. My kids are only silent when asleep :)

The bed play references ... while the second one is understandable, the first kind of made me do a double take. It's not the context so much as the visual image I received as an adult. Would a YA/MatureMG draw what I did, I can't say, but ... yeah.

Finally, I did pick up on a few missing commas, but it didn't affect the readability.

Overall:

I'm hooked and after buying a copy, I plan to let my son read it too. I'd recommend for YA lovers, fantasy lovers, and even kids 10 and up. I look forward to reading the next in the series, and happy to see another dark fantasy. ( )
  AuthorRaeZRyans | May 24, 2014 |
  AutumnTurner | Dec 29, 2013 |
The young man was trapped at the top end of Shockoe Slip where a crowd had gathered in Cary Street.

When Richmond landowner Washington Faulconer snatches young Nate Starbuck from the grip of a Yankee-hating mob, Nate is both grateful and awed by his idealistic rescuer. To repay his generosity, he enlists in the Faulconer legion to fight against his home, the North, and against his abolitionist father. When the regiment joins up, ready to march into the ferocious battle at Buff Run, the men are prepared to start a war . . . but they aren't ready for how they—and the nation—will be forever changed by the oaths they have sworn for their beloved South.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:49 -0400)

Nate Starbuck enlists in the Faulconer legion to fight against his home, the North, and against his abolitionist father.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,060,285 books! | Top bar: Always visible