No title (1993)

Title:
Authors:
Info:
Collections:

Rebel by Bernard Cornwell (1993)

Really enjoyed it but it just wasn't quite as good as the first one. ( )
  SashaM | Apr 20, 2016 |
I was very disappointed with this book and failed to read more than a quarter of it. I love the Sharpe novels, but 'Rebel' felt formulaic and predictable. Too many cliches. The instant problem with any Southern characters during the American Civil War is that to appeal to modern readers, all the good guys have to be anti-slavery. Hence, one is a Northerner trapped in the South, one is a rich man who decided to free all his slaves and one is a poor Southerner who clearly respects his negro neighbour. ( )
  JudithProctor | Feb 4, 2016 |
While not quite the caliber of Cornwell's Warlord Trilogy, this first installment of his Civil War series is entertaining. Nate Starbuck has characteristics similar to much of Cornwell's heroes, although his fellow war fighters are a bit more morally ambiguous than normal. ( )
  bdtrump | May 9, 2015 |
I received a copy via Obsessed by Books in exchange for an honest review

Now I love my biker books and when I heard that Callie was writing one, I couldn't wait to get my hands on it.

I was not disappointed, this was a fantastic read, I was engrossed from page one and I had to read right the way through.

We meet Alexis, minding her own business, walking home to catch the bus, because of the person she is, she tries to help a person in need, but ends up in a situation that she never thought would happen. Alexis is a strong and feisty character and she never loses that throughout the book.

Enter Rebel, we are show this dark sexy man, who I feel has been through alot in his life, but he is strong and the president of the MC that he created. I feel there is alot more to Rebel than meets the eye, and he shows this to Sophie (as she now calls herself). They have a connection and both try to fight it as much as they can.

I loved this book, the only one thing I can say is, Callie why did you leave me hanging like that, the way it ended, I need more Rebel now, I need to know what happens next. I will be on tender hooks waiting for Rebel 2. ( )
  Obsessed-by-Books | Mar 1, 2015 |
An interesting novel. Appears to have been one of Cornwell's earlier ones but it was still good. There are three more in the series and I think I will read them at some point. I would like to see what happens to Nate Starbuck and his friend Adam. ( )
  autumnturner76 | Sep 22, 2014 |
The young man was trapped at the top end of Shockoe Slip where a crowd had gathered in Cary Street.

When Richmond landowner Washington Faulconer snatches young Nate Starbuck from the grip of a Yankee-hating mob, Nate is both grateful and awed by his idealistic rescuer. To repay his generosity, he enlists in the Faulconer legion to fight against his home, the North, and against his abolitionist father. When the regiment joins up, ready to march into the ferocious battle at Buff Run, the men are prepared to start a war . . . but they aren't ready for how they—and the nation—will be forever changed by the oaths they have sworn for their beloved South.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:49 -0400)

Nate Starbuck enlists in the Faulconer legion to fight against his home, the North, and against his abolitionist father.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,001,576 books! | Top bar: Always visible