Shortcut by Donald Crews

Info:Scholastic (1992), Edition: 1ST, Paperback, 30 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Trains, Transportation

Shortcut by Donald Crews

There are train tracks right outside of bigmamma's house and all the kids are told not to go on them. One time they do go down the train tracks, then a train comes.
Age: 3-6 Source: Amazon
  Chey_b0112 | Mar 19, 2016 |
Group of the children decided to take a train trucks to go home because running late to go back to home. Then they hear sound of the train and children became frightened. This book shows lesson about choices through their experience. Ages 4-7 Source: Pierce County Library ( )
  EikoErfort | Mar 9, 2016 |
Shortcut is another book that I enjoyed, but probably wouldn’t recommend. I really like the mood of the story. While the events may seem predictable to an adult, I think they would feel quite suspenseful for a child. Once the children decide to walk home on the train tracks, the reader begins to fear that a train may soon be on its way. I also enjoyed the characters in this story. While there wasn’t much depth or description for any of them, all of the characters seemed like real children. They all thought and reacted in very typical ways for their ages. I just thought they all seemed very relatable. The theme or moral of this story would probably be “better safe than sorry.” ( )
  jharvi3 | Feb 24, 2016 |
The ominous beginning leaves the reader wondering was the decision to take the 'shortcut' the smartest, "We looked...We listened...We decided to take the shortcut home." The book often tales a common Black folktale. The story of the kids making it home before sun down. "We should have taken the road, But it was late, and it was getting dark, so we started down the track." The main concept being that the shortcut is not always the best route, in addition to kids will be kids sometimes and make mistakes. ( )
  kwalke18 | Feb 18, 2016 |
Some kids take a shortcut to get home. They find the shortcut more dangerous than the road they should have taken.
  VLYNNEREESE | Feb 17, 2016 |

The train tracks ran right by Bigmama's house in Cottondale, and the children were warned to stay off the tracks. But one night they were late, and the tracks were a shortcut, so they started off. And when there was no turning back, they heard the train coming.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:58 -0400)

Children taking a shortcut by walking along a railroad track find excitement and danger when a train approaches.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,851,549 books! | Top bar: Always visible