The Brewmaster's Table: Discovering the…

The Brewmaster's Table: Discovering the Pleasures of Real Beer with Real…

by Garrett Oliver

I love this book. As a beer drinker, I was never a great fan of wine, but never had the courage to admit it. I have always been a great fan of the beers in Germany. Sadly, I have never had the opportunity to travel much in Belgium but I have had some of their marvellous beers.

Garret brings beer to life in this book. However, I sometimes did wonder if he was being a bit unfair to wine at times. The wonderful range and complexity of beer shines through in this book, and I absolutely love the way that he tells the tale of the various beer traditions. This brings beer to life.

The sections on pairing with food are fantastic, and the afterword is essential, especially if you want to know the temperatures at which to have beer.

Glasses. This is something most people completely miss, and it is a shame. Having beer in the appropriate glass is critical.

All in all, a superb book. Well written, and a great service to beer drinkers like me.

Now, all Garret needs to do, is to open a good microbrewery in Gurgaon, India! ( )
  RajivC | Sep 6, 2015 |

Traditional craft-brewed beer can transform a meal from everyday to extraordinary. It's an affordable, accessible luxury. Yet most people are only familiar with the mass-market variety. Have you tasted the real thing?

In The Brewmaster's Table, Garrett Oliver, America's foremost authority on beer and brewmaster of the acclaimed Brooklyn Brewery, reveals why real beer is the perfect partner to any dining experience. He explains how beer is made, relays its fascinating history, and, accompanied by Denny Tillman's exquisite photographs, conducts an insider's tour through the amazing range of flavors displayed by distinct styles of beer from around the world. Most important, he shows how real beer, which is far more versatile than wine, intensifies flavors when it's appropriately paired with foods, creating brilliant matches most people have never imagined: a brightly citric Belgian wheat beer with a goat cheese salad, a sharply aromatic pale ale to complement spicy tacos, an earthy German bock beer to match a porcini risotto, even a fruity framboise to accompany a slice of chocolate truffle cake. Whether you're a beer aficionado, a passionate cook, or just someone who loves a great dinner, this book will indeed be a revelation.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:12 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,913,622 books! | Top bar: Always visible