Black Butler, Vol. 2 by Yana Toboso

Black Butler, Vol. 2 (edition 2007)

by Yana Toboso

Title:Black Butler, Vol. 2
Authors:Yana Toboso
Info:Yen Press (2010), Paperback, 192 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:Gothic Fantasy, Graphic Novel

Black Butler, Volume 2 by Yana Toboso

Hellsing, Volume 1 by Kouta Hirano (lampbane)
    lampbane: The relationship between Ciel and Sebastian reminds me very much of the relationship between Alucard and Integra.

This is the second volume in the Black Butler series and it was even better than the first. There is some mystery and some humor and of course a lot more Ceil and Sebastian.

The London season is waning but a new terror is stalking the streets of London in the dark hours; the terror is only known as Jack the Ripper. Ciel Phantomhive is summoned to London by the Queen to solve the mystery behind Jack the Ripper and clean up the mess this killer has left behind. Of course Sebastian travels with him. Can Ciel handle the truth behind the mystery he solves?

There are a million things I am loving about this series. I love the action, the mystery, the humor and the characters. There are some truly hilarious scenes throughout; I especially enjoy poor Ciel being forced to dress up as a lady and dodge his betrothed. I also really enjoyed Sebastian’s quite un-demon-like obsession with cats.

We learn a bit more about how Sebastian came to serve Ciel and about Sebastian’s abilities. We are also introduced to some new and intriguing characters; Madam Red, Lau, and Grelle. Of course we also meet The Undertaker who is one of my absolute favorite characters...he is so odd and strangely omniscient.

I love how the Jack the Ripper mystery is tied into the demonic theme of this book. There are some well done unexpected twists and turns throughout the story.

I also adore the illustration throughout; there is so much wonderful detail and it’s very easy to follow. It’s just an absolute pleasure to read and thoroughly enjoyable. There are also some slightly twisted innuendos throughout, that adults will get and giggle about (and maybe feel a little bad about noticing) but younger readers will probably miss.

Overall I am absolutely loving this manga. It’s a wonderful balance of beautiful illustration, action, humor, mystery, and supernatural elements. The story is full of wonderful characters and unpredictable twists. Highly recommended to manga fans who enjoy a paranormal plot with some quirky and hilarious characters. ( )
  krau0098 | Oct 11, 2015 |
I'm liking this series. Not much is know yet about the demons and who Sebastian is exactly, but despite that the story sucks you in. There's plenty of action and hilarities and seriousness blended together. The artwork is fantastic as well. Not totally realistic, but great none the less. The chapters have great introductions and the plot hasn't yet drooped all that much which is sometimes common in manga series. I'm looking forward to more. Ecspecially after the cliffhanger at the end of this volume. ( )
  Kassilem | Dec 12, 2012 |
Twelve-year old Ciel Phantomhive, the Earl of Phantomhive and Queen Victoria's underworld watchdog, is summoned to London during the summer season to catch Jack the Ripper. Good thing he has his demon-butler Sebastian, for whom there is no mortal task that is not seen as trivial. In this volume we also meet Ciel's aunt, Madam Red. Their investigation leads to Ciel cross-dressing, a kidnapping and an unexpected twist. I thought the twist at the end was very effective. I am really enjoying this manga series. ( )
  catfantastic | Jul 14, 2012 |
The tale of Ciel and his devilish butler Sebastian continues, and the setting for the story becomes clear--Victorian London. In this installment, Ciel and Sebastian investigate murders committed by the infamous Jack the Ripper. Fun fact: "Sebastian" is the Japanese equivalent of "Jeeves."
1 vote LibraryGirl11 | Jul 31, 2011 |
We pick up our story in the Phantomhive Manor. Ciel has friends round, and by friends I mean vaguely threatening adults. Ciel must go to London with his tursty butler to hunt down Jack the Ripper. This involved wacjy hijynx, of course, then serious, then Greil who is fabulous. I love Greil.

So, yeah, we had the expected shota-biating which just makes me cringe, and the pre-pubescent boy running around in a dress which given Ceil's personality is just hillarious, and the obligatory kidnap scene because Sebastian needs SOMETHING to do in this manga.

As a manga, it's everything you expect from Kuroshitsuji. It has a shota, and a butler. It has seemingly victorian london where kids are gaming on their Ds lite's. It's hillarious, I love Greil, it's brainless and fun. ( )
1 vote TPauSilver | Jul 12, 2010 |

"As high society's social calendar opens up and the Season draws to a close, London is gripped by fear. Someone has taken to stalking women of the night and painting the town red-- in their blood. The name on everyone's lips seems to be 'Jack the Ripper' -- and as a result, the name on Queen Victoria's lips is Phantomhive. Summoned to London to clean up the mess created by this madman, Ciel Phantomhive arrives with Sebastian, his extraordinary butler, at his side to pour him tea, polish his silver, and-- investigate a serial killer. And with the aid (and occasional interference) of a few of the Phantomhive house's numerous acquaintances, little stands in the way of the young earl getting to the bottom of this mystery. However, one question remains-- can he handle the shattering truth behind it?" -- from publisher's web site.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,854,219 books! | Top bar: Always visible