McElligot's Pool by Dr. Seuss

McElligot's Pool

by Dr. Seuss

Recently added bybtdart, private library, jasbro, drmom62, ohdrat

McElligot's pool is about a boy who is frustrated with fishing but is hopeful he might catch something. An old man is nearby and he wants to advise this young boy not to fish in McElligot's pool. He tells him that this pool is filled with junk. The boy simply tells him a story that maybe somewhere down there he might catch up finding something worthy. The illustrations shows us what the pool can lead to, and the amazing creatures that were in it. ( )
  sabdelaz | Mar 2, 2014 |
This is a fun Dr. Seuss book. It has a higher reading level than most of his books because it was an early one. It tells the story of a boy who is fishing in a small pond and is told by a man that there are no fish in the pond. The boy imagines all sorts of fantastic fish that may live in the pond and describes them to the man. The pictures are very creative, ( )
  aleader | Jan 19, 2014 |
I never got over imagining what might be beneath [McElligot's Pool] and was haunted by the beautiful watercolor illustrations of possibilities that might be under there.. Makes me wish that Dr. Seuss hadn't switched from this style of children's book to the mundane [Hop on Pop] type of books, or at least have published more of this earlier style in parallel with the word-traiing series. ( )
  Diane-bpcb | Sep 14, 2013 |
Young Marco is optimistic about his chances of catching a fish in McElligot’s Pool, despite the doubting of the farmer. But Marco tells the farmer that the pool could be connected to an underground brook, which in turn could be connected to an underground river, etc. etc. This is such a great ahead-of-its-time story about the interconnectedness of our planet and the importance of taking care of it. ( )
  YvetteKolstad | May 11, 2013 |
My favorite Dr. Seuss book. ( )
  garviegirl | Mar 31, 2013 |

Is contained in

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0394800834, Hardcover)

McElligot's Pool is a Seuss classic from the distant era before even The Cat In The Hat. It's a single poetic variation on the theme of adult skepticism that's no match for childhood faith and daydreaming. A small boy is fishing in the tiny, unpromising McElligot's Pool, a puddle that (as a passing farmer informs our diminutive hero) is nothing but a hole where people dispose of their junk. But the boy is all optimism: what if the pool is deeper than anyone thinks? What if it connects to an underground stream that flows under the town to the sea? Might not all sorts of fish then swim up the stream and be caught here? "I might catch an eel... (Well, I might. It depends.) A long twisting eel with a lot of strange bends. And, oddly enough, with a head at both ends!" The moral of the story is straightforward: "If I wait long enough, if I'm patient and cool,/ Who knows what I'll catch in McElligot's pool?" (Ages 4 to 8) --Richard Farr

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:30:16 -0400)

A boy imagines the rare and wonderful fish he might catch in McElligot's pool.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,649,992 books! | Top bar: Always visible