Momo by Michael Ende

Momo (original 1973; edition 1992)

by Michael Ende, J. Maxwell Brownjohn (Translator)

Member:StephenBarkley
Title:Momo
Authors:Michael Ende
Other authors:J. Maxwell Brownjohn (Translator)
Info:Penguin Books (1992), Paperback, 240 pages
Collections:Your library, @Home
Rating:****1/2
Tags:Fiction, Fantasy

Momo by Michael Ende (Author) (1973)

The Satanic Mill by Otfried Preussler (Anonymous user)
    The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster (souloftherose)
    souloftherose: Both are wonderful old-fashioned children's stories with a deeper message - as a result they both reward reading by adults too.
    Mio, My Son by Astrid Lindgren (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: Both are lovely, poignant children's books with plenty of adventure and a good deal of emotional resonance.
    Mister Monday by Garth Nix (francescadefreitas)
    The City of Lost Children [film] by Jean-Pierre Jeunet (grizzly.anderson)

English (35)  Spanish (5)  Italian (3)  Dutch (2)  Swedish (2)  Finnish (1)  German (1)  All languages (49)
I first started Momo back in 1995 just before graduating from UCSB. As it was a library book, I had to return the book in order to graduate! I never got past the point where the grey men start to plot against Momo. At long last I have been able to finish the book! ( )
  pussreboots | Aug 24, 2014 |
  BRCSBooks | Aug 15, 2014 |
What can I say about Momo? One of the best kids/YA books of all time. Like The Phantom Tollbooth there's a lesson in it, but in this case the lesson is one grownups in our society need much more than their kids. This is really one of those rare books that can charm and fascinate kids while giving the adult reader that "if only..." sense of longing that only the best fantasy can create.

CSRodgers | May 3, 2014 |
Ende is so well-known for 'The Never Ending Story' that it'd be easy to overlook his other work - and that would be a shame. 'Momo' is relatively brief, in places a smidgen disjointed, but overall a nice little tale, and I'll be keeping my worn-out paperback somewhere safe so that my own little girl can one day enjoy it. ( )
  soylentgreen23 | Mar 21, 2014 |
Although I had trouble getting into the story and there were times when I thought it was going on for a bit too long, it was a mostly enjoyable read. I think it would make a good novel to read out loud (perhaps to 4th/5th graders) in short bursts. I did like that Ende didn't write down to his readers, assuming that they would all be able to understand the story (no matter the age). A decent read, but not a favorite nor anything I'd want to reread. ( )
  callmecayce | Aug 16, 2013 |

Krogstad, ErikTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Makkonen, MarikkiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Momo (1986IMDb)
Twinkle, twinkle, little star,
How I wonder what you are!
Up above the world so high,
Like a diamond in the sky!

Jane Taylor (1783-1827)
Long, long ago, when people spoke languages quite different from our own, many fine, big cities already existed in the many lands of the world.

In this intricate and compelling story of a fantastic country, Momo sets out to destroy the enemy. The mysterious Professor Hora and his strangely gifted tortoise, Cassiopeia, will help her.

The Neverending Story is Michael Endes best-known book, but Momo, published six years earlier, is the all-ages fantasy novel that first won him wide acclaim. After the sweet-talking gray men come to town, life becomes terminally efficient. Can Momo, a young orphan girl blessed with the gift of listening, vanquish the ashen-faced time thieves before joy vanishes forever? With gorgeous new drawings by Marcel Dzama and a new translation from the German by Lucas Zwirner, this all-new 40th anniversary edition celebrates the book's first U.S. publication in over 25 years.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,256,748 books! | Top bar: Always visible