Momo by Michael Ende

Momo (original 1973; edition 1973)

by Michael Ende

Authors:Michael Ende
Info:Thienemann Verlag (1973), Ausgabe: 20. Auflage, Gebundene Ausgabe, 270 Seiten
Collections:Read but unowned, 2012 gehört/gelesen

Momo by Michael Ende (Author) (1973)

Recently added byTheZombieParrot, AR_bookbird, avere, Malphoria, private library, FiliaLibri, inscrt
    The Satanic Mill by Otfried Preussler (Anonymous user)
    The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster (souloftherose)
    souloftherose: Both are wonderful old-fashioned children's stories with a deeper message - as a result they both reward reading by adults too.
    Mio, My Son by Astrid Lindgren (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: Both are lovely, poignant children's books with plenty of adventure and a good deal of emotional resonance.
    Finn Family Moomintroll by Tove Jansson (Anonymous user)
    Mister Monday by Garth Nix (francescadefreitas)
    The Brothers Lionheart by Astrid Lindgren (Anonymous user)
    The City of Lost Children [1995 film] by Jean-Pierre Jeunet (grizzly.anderson)

English (37)  Spanish (5)  Italian (3)  Dutch (2)  Swedish (2)  Finnish (1)  German (1)  All languages (51)
A lot of people are preoccupied with time: How it should be spent, how it can be saved, and how to make sure it isn't wasted. Have you ever accused someone of stealing your time? Momo is the only person who is able to resist the allure of the grey men who are time thieves. An already unique child, Momo, is abandoned by all of her friends who have fallen prey to these menaces (and they really do sound menacing + the illustrations are delightfully creepy). Much like The Neverending Story, the city that Michael Ende has created feels tangible and real...actually it sounds like Rome. The characters leap off of the page. Fantasy is done right when your imagination is allowed to run rampant and a talking turtle is as ordinary as a gorilla that learns sign language (I still think that's amazing). Momo is all about making the most of your time by spending it with those that you love. I think this is an especially poignant message for adults who are bombarded with deadlines and to-do lists and children who often feel neglected by those same adults. The message is clear but the delivery is what makes Ende's writing so special and why I believe he is an underrated children's author in our country (but not in his home country of Germany!). ( )
  AliceaP | May 21, 2015 |
I was motivated to read Momo as a potentially quick read auf Deutsch, which it was. The story dragged a bit in parts, especially the last third, also not unexpected. To my pleasant surprise, the allegory was clever enough to keep my interest even as I refreshed my vocabulary and verb tenses.

I'm intrigued by, yet formally unfamiliar with allegory as a literary device. Clearly Momo provides an extended metaphor; it seems to me it works on at least two levels, perhaps this is typical.

For one, the characters are allegorical: Momo standing in as Peter Pan, the ideal of eternal childhood; Gigi embodies the wonder of child-like play and imagination; Beppo emphasizes the importance of living in the present moment, the eternal present.

For another, the plot or in any case, basic dynamics also are allegorical, arguing for the toxic influence of modernity as manifested in efficiency, an emphasis upon material or empirical results, and commerce as the preferred social interaction. It's tempting to see the Grey Men as another example of character allegory, but really they are the external manifestation of people living into a modern life, the way time is stolen even as every effort is made to streamline and waste not a moment, the erosion of community and care which follows, the resulting drab existence. Then too, the Grey Men are an outward manifestation of a certain relationship of self to oneself, to others, to the world; so, a means of understanding an abstraction.

The ending doesn't quite work as allegory: it fits Momo's character, that she help bring about the end of the Grey Men, but without really changing who she is. She experiences no growth, just "fitness" or an adventure based on who she is, how she interacts with others. But Ende is foremost a storyteller, it's clear the ending fits the story, and not the allegory, and he's to be commended for that.

Variation on the Ship of Perseus, with a twist: is the Earth we are on the original, or merely a copy, made from the raw material of a previous Earth? [47-8]

Die Drei Brueder: one always at home, one you've always just missed, the other is just coming now .... [154]

This edition on cream paper with brown ink, and including line drawing tailpieces and occasional full-page line drawing illustrations throughout. ( )
  elenchus | Feb 9, 2015 |
I first started Momo back in 1995 just before graduating from UCSB. As it was a library book, I had to return the book in order to graduate! I never got past the point where the grey men start to plot against Momo. At long last I have been able to finish the book! ( )
  pussreboots | Aug 24, 2014 |
  BRCSBooks | Aug 15, 2014 |
What can I say about Momo? One of the best kids/YA books of all time. Like The Phantom Tollbooth there's a lesson in it, but in this case the lesson is one grownups in our society need much more than their kids. This is really one of those rare books that can charm and fascinate kids while giving the adult reader that "if only..." sense of longing that only the best fantasy can create.

CSRodgers | May 3, 2014 |

Lobb, FrancisTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Makkonen, MarikkiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Momo (1986IMDb)
Twinkle, twinkle, little star,
How I wonder what you are!
Up above the world so high,
Like a diamond in the sky!

Jane Taylor (1783-1827)
Long, long ago, when people spoke languages quite different from our own, many fine, big cities already existed in the many lands of the world.

In this intricate and compelling story of a fantastic country, Momo sets out to destroy the enemy. The mysterious Professor Hora and his strangely gifted tortoise, Cassiopeia, will help her.

The Neverending Story is Michael Endes best-known book, but Momo, published six years earlier, is the all-ages fantasy novel that first won him wide acclaim. After the sweet-talking gray men come to town, life becomes terminally efficient. Can Momo, a young orphan girl blessed with the gift of listening, vanquish the ashen-faced time thieves before joy vanishes forever? With gorgeous new drawings by Marcel Dzama and a new translation from the German by Lucas Zwirner, this all-new 40th anniversary edition celebrates the book's first U.S. publication in over 25 years.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,849,664 books! | Top bar: Always visible