HomeGroupsTalkZeitgeist
Hide this

Results from Google Books

Click on a thumbnail to go to Google Books.

Momo by Michael Ende
Loading...

Momo (original 1973; edition 2005)

by Michael Ende, Michael Ende (Illustrator)

MembersReviewsPopularityAverage ratingMentions
2,181None2,971 (4.34)51
Member:Cremi
Title:Momo
Authors:Michael Ende
Other authors:Michael Ende (Illustrator)
Info:Thienemann Verlag (2005), Ausgabe: Neuausgabe., Gebundene Ausgabe, 304 Seiten
Collections:Your library
Rating:*****
Tags:None

Work details

Momo by Michael Ende (1973)

  1. 10
    The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster (souloftherose)
    souloftherose: Both are wonderful old-fashioned children's stories with a deeper message - as a result they both reward reading by adults too.
  2. 10
    Mio, My Son by Astrid Lindgren (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: Both are lovely, poignant children's books with plenty of adventure and a good deal of emotional resonance.
  3. 10
    The Satanic Mill by Otfried Preussler (Anonymous user)
  4. 00
    Mister Monday by Garth Nix (francescadefreitas)
  5. 01
    The City of Lost Children [film] by Jean-Pierre Jeunet (grizzly.anderson)
Loading...

Sign up for LibraryThing to find out whether you'll like this book.

No current Talk conversations about this book.

» See also 51 mentions

English (32)  Spanish (5)  Italian (3)  Dutch (2)  Swedish (2)  Finnish (1)  German (1)  All languages (46)
Showing 1-5 of 32 (next | show all)
Ende is so well-known for 'The Never Ending Story' that it'd be easy to overlook his other work - and that would be a shame. 'Momo' is relatively brief, in places a smidgen disjointed, but overall a nice little tale, and I'll be keeping my worn-out paperback somewhere safe so that my own little girl can one day enjoy it. ( )
  soylentgreen23 | Mar 21, 2014 |
Although I had trouble getting into the story and there were times when I thought it was going on for a bit too long, it was a mostly enjoyable read. I think it would make a good novel to read out loud (perhaps to 4th/5th graders) in short bursts. I did like that Ende didn't write down to his readers, assuming that they would all be able to understand the story (no matter the age). A decent read, but not a favorite nor anything I'd want to reread. ( )
  callmecayce | Aug 16, 2013 |
Originally posted at Read. Run. Study.

This book has always been a favorite in my family. I enjoyed this book when I read it as a child, and also enjoyed rereading it now as an adult. The characters are likable and the concepts are well done. I easily saw myself in the time savers as I realized how much effort I expend on improving efficiency without feeling like I have gained the time I tried so hard to save. I found this especially haunting given that the book was originally written in the early 70's. Overall, this is a cute story with a great message to children and adults alike - take time to slow down and relax. ( )
  readrunstudy | Jul 28, 2013 |
awesome ( )
  trusmis | Jul 7, 2013 |
Michael Ende denuncia in questa favola moderna la frenesia del mondo di oggi, nel quale si insegue sempre non si sa che a scapito del tempo da dedicare a sé stessi e ai propri cari.
La storia è scritta bene e offre un affascinante vista del cuore degli uomini secondo Ende, ma non sono completamente d'accordo con la morale che presenta.In primo luogo l'autore sembra quasi volerci dire che "si stava meglio quando si stava peggio" e questo è un modo di pensare di cui diffido sempre, in secondo luogo mi sembra ci sia un eccessivo elogio alla "semplicità della vita": tutti quelli che nutrono il sogno di uscire dalla loro condizione per diventare qualcuno (e sono disposti a sacrificare il proprio tempo per farlo) sono trattati solo come delle vittime dei signori Grigi. Mantenere una dimensione introspettiva e trovare il tempo per amici e familiari è importante e siamo d'accordo, ma non tutti possiamo (o vogliamo) passare la nostra vita accampati in un anfiteatro come fa Momo. "La cosa più pericolosa che possa capitare nella vita sono i sogni che si realizzano" è la frase che mi ha lasciato maggiormente perplesso. In sostanza meglio non realizzare i propri sogni perché poi non resta nulla da sognare. Ma questo per me non ha senso: i sogni sono uno stato d'animo, non degli oggetti, e realizzarne uno costituisce il punto di partenza per inseguirne un altro. La mia critica non toglie che comunque si tratti di un bel libro, capace di far pensare il lettore.
Consigliato. ( )
  Tonari | May 19, 2013 |
Showing 1-5 of 32 (next | show all)
no reviews | add a review

» Add other authors (60 possible)

Author nameRoleType of authorWork?Status
Michael Endeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brownjohn, John MaxwellTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Heslop, MaggieCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Makkonen, MarikkiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
You must log in to edit Common Knowledge data.
For more help see the Common Knowledge help page.
Series (with order)
Canonical title
Original title
Information from the German Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to the English one.
Alternative titles
Original publication date
People/Characters
Important places
Information from the Finnish Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to the English one.
Important events
Related movies
Momo (1986IMDb)
Awards and honors
Information from the German Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to the English one.
Epigraph
Twinkle, twinkle, little star,
How I wonder what you are!
Up above the world so high,
Like a diamond in the sky!

Jane Taylor (1783-1827)
Dedication
First words
Long, long ago, when people spoke languages quite different from our own, many fine, big cities already existed in the many lands of the world.
Quotations
Last words
(Click to show. Warning: May contain spoilers.)
Disambiguation notice
Publisher's editors
Blurbers
Publisher series

References to this work on external resources.

Wikipedia in English (2)

Book description
In this intricate and compelling story of a fantastic country, Momo sets out to destroy the enemy. The mysterious Professor Hora and his strangely gifted tortoise, Cassiopeia, will help her.
Haiku summary

No descriptions found.

The Neverending Story is Michael Endes best-known book, but Momo, published six years earlier, is the all-ages fantasy novel that first won him wide acclaim. After the sweet-talking gray men come to town, life becomes terminally efficient. Can Momo, a young orphan girl blessed with the gift of listening, vanquish the ashen-faced time thieves before joy vanishes forever? With gorgeous new drawings by Marcel Dzama and a new translation from the German by Lucas Zwirner, this all-new 40th anniversary edition celebrates the book's first U.S. publication in over 25 years.… (more)

(summary from another edition)

» see all 2 descriptions

Quick Links

Swap Ebooks Audio
2 avail.
139 wanted
3 pay6 pay

Popular covers

Rating

Average: (4.34)
0.5
1
1.5
2 8
2.5 5
3 62
3.5 19
4 188
4.5 33
5 280

Penguin Australia

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

» Publisher information page

Is this you?

Become a LibraryThing Author.

 

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,430,313 books! | Top bar: Always visible