The Singing by Alison Croggon

The Singing (2008)

by Alison Croggon

7291919,548 (4.12)15

While I have enjoyed the arc of this story, this final instalment deserved better editing. In particular, the interactions between the characters just left me grating my teeth - confused, repetitive, and not in line with their previous characteristics. Though I must say, the poetry and, in this case, the addenda, are well done. ( )
  devilish2 | Nov 24, 2017 |
A good conclusion to the series. ( )
  cygnet81 | Jan 17, 2016 |
Exquisitely finished, and though a tad rushed, a beautiful story. Well worth the read and ready to be read again and again. ( )
  AdorablyBookish | Aug 29, 2015 |
The end was kind of anti climatic, but all in all it wasn't a bad book. ( )
  Ahnya | Jan 25, 2014 |
The Singing is The Fourth Book of Pellinor and follows both Maerad and her brother Hem, along with their companions, as they search for one another across Annar. They must combine their forces in order to defeat the Nameless One and the Black Army that is marching north to conquer all the kingdoms and has already laid waste to a number of cities. While both of the siblings are quite young and these books are generally considered YA they can also appeal to older readers as well.

I did enjoy the series and this last book. The young Maerad and even younger Hem did a considerable amount of maturing over the course of their adventures and some of the other characters were also well developed. I definitely recommend reading them in order beginning with The Naming.
  hailelib | Aug 8, 2013 |
A shepherd was gathering firewood by the old Pellinor Road when a strange sight caught his attention.

The bard Maerad and her brother Hem hold the key to the mysterious Singing, and each of them must overcome terrible obstacles before they can unite and together unlock the Tree of Song, release the music of the Elidhu, and defeat the Nameless One.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Alison Croggon's book The Singing was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Candlewick Press

2 editions of this book were published by Candlewick Press.

Editions: 0763636657, 0763648043

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,401,071 books! | Top bar: Always visible