Lessons in Heartbreak by Cathy Kelly

Lessons in Heartbreak

by Cathy Kelly

Dit boek hoort precies thuis tussen de andere boeken. Het is een echt vrouwenboek, vanuit het perspectief van meerdere (vrouwelijke) hoofdpersonen geschreven. Er zit veel warmte en gevoel in, waardoor je het gevoel krijgt dat je de hoofdpersonen persoonlijk kent.

Het verhaal begint bij Izzie. Izzie werkt bij een groot modellenbureau. Ze heeft er moeite mee dat de modellen allemaal graatmager moeten zijn. Zelf heeft ze ook maat 42, maar ze is evengoed een erg knappe vrouw.

Dit alles is nu naturlijk erg actueel, daar steeds meer mensen kritiek op de anorexiamodellen in de bladen hebben en de wat vollere modellen wat meer in raken. Dat actuele aspect van deze roman vindt ik erg leuk.

Izzie is van oorsprong een Ierse. Wanneer haar oma een beroerte krijgt en ik coma raakt, vliegt ze zonder aarzelend terug naar Ierland om bij haar oma te kunnen zijn. ( )
  Luckylane4 | Jun 16, 2010 |
Izzie is in a relationship with a married man with the understanding and expectation that he will leave his wife for her. She works for a New York modelling agency and has ambitions to open her own agency where the models are not stick thin. ( )
  reeread | Jan 31, 2010 |
Lessons in Heartbreak by Cathy Kelly

This is a novel of lessons, of what it feels like to be the betrayed and be the betrayer. This is about how you have no choice in who you fall in love with, but you do have a choice in how it turns out. You just need to find the strength within your self.

The novel starts with Izzie Silver, a nearly 40-year-old woman who works for a New York modeling agency but has dreams of opening her own “plus” sized agency. She falls for Joe Hansen mega rich and supposedly ’separated’ from his wife of many years. There is Izzie’s Aunt Anneliese, a woman who is suffering from severe depression and the betrayal of he husband with her best friend. Then there is Lily - the family’s matriarch, a nonagenarian that has her own deep secrets to keep.

What I adored about this novel is it did not really paint anyone as truly ‘the bad guy’ or overly naïve. The author did not try make us overly sympathetic with the person making the poor choices. Ms Kelly kept these actions clear to us that they were not the characters best choices and she did not try to ply us with the “love” card. Ms Kelly never once glossed over anything that might make us uncomfortable, nor did she beat us over the head with any kind of message. You did leave the book knowing that there was a message but it was a gentle ‘take it or leave it’ sort of message.

Oh and I want to warn you…you may, as I did, need a handful of tissues during some parts of this book. HOWEVER, the last 60 or so pages I dare you to read without shedding a tear or two! ( or like I did, outright sobbing). ( )
  Cats57 | Mar 23, 2009 |
Good but not great, this book feels like a really long outline of what could be a great book that you couldn't put down. Even though the ending was bittersweet, I felt too many plotlines were left unfinished or tied up too neatly. Ms Kelly should also check her medical facts too- 'benzodiazepam' doesn't exist- it's either benzodiazepines or diazepam. ( )
  birdsam0307 | Apr 10, 2008 |
To Murray, Dylan and John, with love

Having left the small Irish town where she grew up, Izzie is now very much a New Yorker. She's big and beautiful and runs a model agency for plus-sized women. But she's just broken one of her cardinal rules and has fallen for a married man, and now it's make or break time.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,694,453 books! | Top bar: Always visible