Graceling by Kristin Cashore
5,492None787 (4.19)1 / 582
Member:bluesalamanders
Title:Graceling
Authors:Kristin Cashore
Info:Orlando, FL : Harcourt, 2008.
Collections:Your library, Reviewed
Rating:****1/2
Tags:type: hardback, age: young adult, genre: fantasy, read 2009, read 2010, strong women, read 2011, read 2012, read 2014

Graceling by Kristin Cashore

2009 (36) 2012 (25) adventure (210) assassins (52) ebook (37) fantasy (1,058) favorites (27) fiction (312) fighting (57) Grace (24) Graceling (24) heroine (39) Kindle (26) kingdoms (27) love (51) magic (104) own (25) read (55) read in 2009 (30) romance (253) royalty (24) series (74) sff (25) special powers (30) survival (51) teen (78) to-read (182) YA (316) young adult (380) young adult fiction (55)
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (librarymeg, saltypepper)
    saltypepper: The heroines' voices are very similar, maybe due to their similar response to the awful circumstances they find themselves in.
    Fire by Kristin Cashore (SheReads, Anonymous user)
    SheReads: Prequel to Graceling about different characters.
    Anonymous user: because you get the same different world paranormal thing and you get the romance and the good conquers evil
    The Hero and the Crown by Robin McKinley (Aerrin99, humouress)
    Aerrin99: Aerin and Katsa are both gifted women who struggle to find the line between respect and fear. Also, they kick butt.
    humouress: The way the heroines feel like outsiders because of their heritage is similar, as is the way the authors describe the way the heroines think.
    Alanna: The First Adventure by Tamora Pierce (francescadefreitas, helgagrace, espertus)
    espertus: Both Graceling and the Lioness quartet are stories of strong but vulnerable young women wanting to use their considerable powers for good and maintain their identity in the face of romance.
    Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder (deadbookdarling)
    deadbookdarling: Both are set in magical worlds, have strong female leads and a dash of romance.
    The Blue Sword by Robin McKinley (foggidawn, Aerrin99, humouress)
    Aerrin99: For stories that feature interesting and strong woman matched with equally interesting and strong men, with a dash of danger, adventure, and magic tossed in, try either of these books!
    Terrier by Tamora Pierce (notemily)
    Finnikin of the Rock by Melina Marchetta (alaskabookworm)
    First Test by Tamora Pierce (foggidawn)
    The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner (notemily, C.Vick)
    C.Vick: While different in essence, I think Turner's Attolia books have a similar feel to Graceling.
    Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas (luna_lovegood)
    luna_lovegood: Exactly as kazhout said "strong, beautiful, intelligent, and sassy." Plus, badass and good heart.
    The Singer of All Songs by Kate Constable (bbrux)
    bbrux: Young woman on an adventure to discover her hidden talents.
    Mistwood by Leah Cypess (foggidawn)
    Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit by Nahoko Uehashi (avatiakh)
    The Queen of Attolia by Megan Whalen Turner (Nikkles)
    Divergent by Veronica Roth (hairball, Echocliffs)
    hairball: Young women rebelling against their prescribed role.
    The Legacy of Tril: Soulbound by Heather Brewer (SunnySD)
    Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo (bluepolicebox)
    bluepolicebox: Similar magic system.
    Defy by Sara B. Larson (BookLizard)
    BookLizard: Strong female character. Political intrigue. Realistic love triangle.
    The Demon King by Cinda Williams Chima (furieous)

English (416)  Dutch (1)  Swedish (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (419)
2.5. Give us half stars!! ( )
  patsaintsfan | Apr 15, 2014 |
Reminiscent of 'Game of Thrones' for YA. The writing isn't bad and this probably isn't a bad book for its demographic. Probably good for kids who enjoy fantasy. ( )
  steadfastreader | Mar 18, 2014 |
I loved this story, despite my issues with the audio version that I'll get to at the end of this review.
It was fairly easy for me to sink into Katsa's world from early on in the book, her feelings regarding her grace and what she was made to do with it, and how she saw herself as a person. I loved how her feelings changed after she met Po, and she started seeing things a little differently.
The romance between Katsa and Po was believable and not overdone imo. A lot of the other reviews I read before starting this book talked a lot about Katsa being opposed to marriage and children. However, this made complete sense to me in the context of the story. Why would Katsa, raised as she was, find the concept of legally giving over her freedom to a man to be remotely attractive to her? She didn't really get into her reasons why she didn't want children but as I assume Katsa was fairly young in this book, I don't consider it a negative that she didn't feel her only path to happiness was as a wife and a mother.
Overall, I think this was a great book and I'm interested to see how she continues the series.

Now, as far as the audio version of this book, I have a lot more to say. I initially thought that the "full cast" audio would be off-putting for me, but it either grew on me or as I became more invested in the story, I no longer noticed. However, the music.... THE MUSIC!! That was the most annoying thing I've ever listened to in any audio book. It was constant, between every chapter, used to punctuate jokes, played during the sex scene, and most annoyingly during climactic scenes almost overpowering the narrators voice. I HATED it and strongly recommend that if you're going to read Graceling, get the actual book. ( )
  a.happy.booker | Mar 14, 2014 |
Let me just say I've been in a huge contemporary kick after reading the last book that was contemporary I just needed to read more of it but I had to start to read Graceling next because I have to take it back soon to the library and let me tell you I really really loved and enjoyed it yes it took me four days to finished it not that it was slow or anything but because I wanted to read and take everything in of the wonderful world and characters that Kristin Cashore created just wow I learn a lot about the seven kingdoms and there kings and queens and I loved to read about the Gracelings there are people who are born with a specific power like there are some grace that have powers like mind reading, the best fighter, and who can tell the weather ect. ect. and you can tell a person who is grace by the different colors of there eyes how cool and unique is that!

Lady Katsa is a loyal, honest, and an awesome tough kick ass Graceling I just love love her bad ass self she does not take crap from nobody when she was younger she by accident killed her perverted cousin she fond out than that her grace was of killing and her uncle the king of the Middluns found out what her grace was he started to use her for his evil doings he treated her like she was a wild caged animal and so did the people in the kingdom of Middluns treated her the same why the king did I just felt so bad for her for everything that her uncle put her through she felt so sick and disgusted with herself she did not trust nobody and she had only a few trusted friends especially her cousin prince Raffin who she loves like a brother so Katsa decided to make group of a Council with her most trusted friends and prince Raffin so she can help innocent people who needed there help of the Council!

Right for the beginning of the book the council was on a mission to save a former king of Lienid who was kidnapped and was in a prison when Katsa and the council was finally going to escape with the former king she comes face to face with another graceling who is also a Lienid later on we find out he is non other than the Lienid prince and the former king of Lienid grandson Prince Po! what can I say about prince Po he is dashingly handsome, witty and an amazing great fighter which we thought that was his grace at first but I always thought there was something mysteriously about him I just know he had some secrets that he kept from Katsa and he does finally tells Katsa the truth about what his true grace is! Ha I always trust my gut instinct about a character but I just love and adore Po which by the way that is his nickname his real name is Greening Grandemalion which is such a silly name and I don't blame him for telling everybody to call him Po it suits him just Perfect! Katsa and Po worked together to find out who was the person responsible for the kidnapping of Po grandfather and the go on a mission Ohh Boy what a mission the go through and found out the truth about the kidnapping and about each other! All and all it was an Fantastic read for me that now I can't wait to read the next book Fire soon and get back to read the amazingly seven kingdom world. Well Until Next Time My Friends! ( )
  Katiria_Rodriguez | Mar 7, 2014 |
I've read this book twice, and both times it was amazing. Katsa is a very strong character, but she is a little rough at the beginning. She has very few friends, and she shows very little affection to anyone. Katsa is also under her uncle's control. Then she starts to question why she is doing what he wants; that is where the story starts to get even better.

All of the supporting characters are great as well. Po was great to get to know. At the beginning of book, Raffin, Oll, and Hilda were the key people in Katsa's life and they had a big part in making her who she would eventually become.

I highly recommend this. ( )
  TheMadHatters | Mar 6, 2014 |
In a world of gossip girls, it is perhaps refreshing to have a teenage heroine who cuts off all her hair because it gets in her way; and Kristin Cashore’s eccentric and absorbing first novel, “Graceling,” has such a heroine. Katsa is tough, awkward, beautiful and consumed by pressing moral issues

Kristin Cashoreprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Baker, David AaronNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my mother,
Nedda Previtera Cashore,
who has a meatball Grace,
and my father,
J. Michael Cashore,
who is Graced with losing (and finding) his glasses
In these dungeons the darkness was complete, but Katsa had a map in her mind.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0547258305, Paperback)

If you had the power to kill with your bare hands, what would you do with it?

Graceling takes readers inside the world of Katsa, a warrior-girl in her late teens with one blue eye and one green eye. This gives her haunting beauty, but also marks her as a Graceling. Gracelings are beings with special talents—swimming, storytelling, dancing. Katsa's Grace is considered more useful: her ability to fight (and kill, if she wanted to) is unequaled in the seven kingdoms. Forced to act as a henchman for a manipulative king, Katsa channels her guilt by forming a secret council of like-minded citizens who carry out secret missions to promote justice over cruelty and abuses of power.

Combining elements of fantasy and romance, Cashore skillfully portrays the confusion, discovery, and angst that smart, strong-willed girls experience as they creep toward adulthood. Katsa wrestles with questions of freedom, truth, and knowing when to rely on a friend for help. This is no small task for an angry girl who had eschewed friendships (with the exception of one cousin that she trusts) for her more ready skills of self-reliance, hunting, and fighting. Katsa also comes to know the real power of her Grace and the nature of Graces in general: they are not always what they appear to be.

Graceling is the first book in a series, and Kristin Cashore’s first work of fiction. It sets up a vivid world with engaging characters that readers will certainly look forward to following beyond the last chapter of this book. (Ages 14 and up) --Heidi Broadhead

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:25:17 -0400)

In a world where some people are born with extreme and often-feared skills called Graces, Katsa struggles for redemption from her own horrifying Grace, the Grace of killing, and teams up with another young fighter to save their land from a corrupt king.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,455,559 books! | Top bar: Always visible