Graceling by Kristin Cashore
5,998454696 (4.17)1 / 641
Member:bluesalamanders
Title:Graceling
Authors:Kristin Cashore
Info:Orlando, FL : Harcourt, 2008.
Collections:Your library, Reviewed
Rating:****1/2
Tags:type: hardback, age: young adult, genre: fantasy, read 2009, read 2010, strong women, read 2011, read 2012, read 2014

Graceling by Kristin Cashore

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (librarymeg, saltypepper)
    saltypepper: The heroines' voices are very similar, maybe due to their similar response to the awful circumstances they find themselves in.
    Fire by Kristin Cashore (SheReads, Anonymous user)
    SheReads: Prequel to Graceling about different characters.
    Anonymous user: because you get the same different world paranormal thing and you get the romance and the good conquers evil
    The Hero and the Crown by Robin McKinley (Aerrin99, humouress)
    Aerrin99: Aerin and Katsa are both gifted women who struggle to find the line between respect and fear. Also, they kick butt.
    humouress: The way the heroines feel like outsiders because of their heritage is similar, as is the way the authors describe the way the heroines think.
    Alanna: The First Adventure by Tamora Pierce (francescadefreitas, helgagrace, espertus)
    espertus: Both Graceling and the Lioness quartet are stories of strong but vulnerable young women wanting to use their considerable powers for good and maintain their identity in the face of romance.
    Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder (deadbookdarling)
    deadbookdarling: Both are set in magical worlds, have strong female leads and a dash of romance.
    The Blue Sword by Robin McKinley (foggidawn, Aerrin99, humouress)
    Aerrin99: For stories that feature interesting and strong woman matched with equally interesting and strong men, with a dash of danger, adventure, and magic tossed in, try either of these books!
    Terrier by Tamora Pierce (notemily)
    Finnikin of the Rock by Melina Marchetta (alaskabookworm)
    The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner (notemily, C.Vick)
    C.Vick: While different in essence, I think Turner's Attolia books have a similar feel to Graceling.
    First Test by Tamora Pierce (foggidawn)
    Cinder by Marissa Meyer (Rozax)
    Rozax: Protagonist is relegated to third-class citizenship because of her gifts and must overcome prejudice.
    Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas (luna_lovegood)
    luna_lovegood: Exactly as kazhout said "strong, beautiful, intelligent, and sassy." Plus, badass and good heart.
    Mistwood by Leah Cypess (foggidawn)
    The Singer of All Songs by Kate Constable (bbrux)
    bbrux: Young woman on an adventure to discover her hidden talents.
    The Queen of Attolia by Megan Whalen Turner (Nikkles)
    Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit by Nahoko Uehashi (avatiakh)
    The Legacy of Tril: Soulbound by Heather Brewer (SunnySD)
    The Demon King by Cinda Williams Chima (furieous)
    Touch of Power by Maria V. Snyder (bluepolicebox)
    Defy by Sara B. Larson (BookLizard)
    BookLizard: Strong female character. Political intrigue. Realistic love triangle.

English (452)  Dutch (1)  Swedish (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (455)
I actually picked this book at random from an online library. I just wanted to read some kind of fantasy book and the cover screams "generic fantasy book." Obviously, as I read it, I found way more depth and creativity than I had expected. Actually, it was not long after I had finally caved and read The Hunger Games, and one of my first thoughts in the book was "This is what I wanted Katniss to be." The strong female protagonist and role model who would do what she had to to survive and fight, but took no pleasure in hurting people and would rather use diplomacy where she could. I thought the book was incredibly well put together, and I loved the characters. It's one of my all-time favorite fantasy books.

The audiobook is also good. It's full-cast, which I always love, and the casting is excellent. I especially liked Bitterblue's voice. ( )
  Stheno | Jul 23, 2015 |
Undoubtedly, Kristin Cashore has left a handful of readers awestruck with Graceling; a book following the story of a girl gifted with the skill to impeccably kill and survive.

With her gift, Katsa's classified as a Graceling, whom are people with a Grace, or a special talent. Her Grace is abused, however, by her power-hungry uncle of a king. Yet no matter the situations and events that arise, she was able to pull through, and learn from her mistakes and from those around her, in order to develop as an amazing character.

I can't yet fathom my exact thoughts on this book, for they're all disorganized. It seems as if this is one of those rare books that I won't be able to describe with simply words. Therefore, I won't.

However, I can assure, it is a wonderful adventure to hop along with and enjoy. ( )
  mararina | Jul 23, 2015 |
Just read in 2015. I can see why it was so widely acclaimed. Perfect tale for young women who need role models of strength, claiming your own power, overcoming adversity. ( )
  juniperSun | Jul 20, 2015 |
Graceling was the first audiobook that I ever read or more accurately, heard.

I had read this book previously, but I liked it so much the first time, that I wanted to do it all over again.

I loved every second of the audiobook. I loved how it was Full Cast Audio, so we could always know which character was speaking.

Kristin Cashore has a way with words where she can build a world completely different from our own, yet still make it believable. I found myself devouring every single second of it, just to hear more and more of the story.

I loved the main character, Katsa, because she was a great female heroine. She is the definition of a kick-ass character. I loved how she always stayed true to herself up to the end of the story.

I also really liked the romance in this book, I found that the romance was completely swoon-worthy and completely enjoyable. Seeing the way Po and Katsa's love developed was really sweet.

Even the villain in the story was great! I found I could really feel him being "evil" which is kind of the point. I don't want lame villains, which Kristin Cashore definitely didn't do.

The only aspect of the book that I didn't enjoy as much was the pacing. I felt like there was too much description. When I wanted to get to the action-y part, I was left hearing 10 minutes of the description of the forest. Other than that, I didn't find anything that made me not like the book.

Overall, Graceling is a magical book. It can reel you in and keep you there up until the very last page. If you like fantasy, and some pretty kick-ass characters, read this book.

5 stars. ( )
  | Jul 1, 2015 | edit |
Actually read this one second (between Fire and Bitterblue). ( )
  Dandeggan | Jun 26, 2015 |
In a world of gossip girls, it is perhaps refreshing to have a teenage heroine who cuts off all her hair because it gets in her way; and Kristin Cashore’s eccentric and absorbing first novel, “Graceling,” has such a heroine. Katsa is tough, awkward, beautiful and consumed by pressing moral issues

Kristin Cashoreprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Baker, David AaronNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my mother,
Nedda Previtera Cashore,
who has a meatball Grace,
and my father,
J. Michael Cashore,
who is Graced with losing (and finding) his glasses
In these dungeons the darkness was complete, but Katsa had a map in her mind.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0547258305, Paperback)

If you had the power to kill with your bare hands, what would you do with it?

Graceling takes readers inside the world of Katsa, a warrior-girl in her late teens with one blue eye and one green eye. This gives her haunting beauty, but also marks her as a Graceling. Gracelings are beings with special talents—swimming, storytelling, dancing. Katsa's Grace is considered more useful: her ability to fight (and kill, if she wanted to) is unequaled in the seven kingdoms. Forced to act as a henchman for a manipulative king, Katsa channels her guilt by forming a secret council of like-minded citizens who carry out secret missions to promote justice over cruelty and abuses of power.

Combining elements of fantasy and romance, Cashore skillfully portrays the confusion, discovery, and angst that smart, strong-willed girls experience as they creep toward adulthood. Katsa wrestles with questions of freedom, truth, and knowing when to rely on a friend for help. This is no small task for an angry girl who had eschewed friendships (with the exception of one cousin that she trusts) for her more ready skills of self-reliance, hunting, and fighting. Katsa also comes to know the real power of her Grace and the nature of Graces in general: they are not always what they appear to be.

Graceling is the first book in a series, and Kristin Cashore’s first work of fiction. It sets up a vivid world with engaging characters that readers will certainly look forward to following beyond the last chapter of this book. (Ages 14 and up) --Heidi Broadhead

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:50 -0400)

In a world where some people are born with extreme and often-feared skills called Graces, Katsa struggles for redemption from her own horrifying Grace, the Grace of killing, and teams up with another young fighter to save their land from a corrupt king.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,411,755 books! | Top bar: Always visible