Graceling by Kristin Cashore
Title:Graceling
Authors:Kristin Cashore
Info:Harcourt Children's Books (2008), Hardcover, 480 pages

Graceling by Kristin Cashore

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (librarymeg, saltypepper)
    saltypepper: The heroines' voices are very similar, maybe due to their similar response to the awful circumstances they find themselves in.
    Fire by Kristin Cashore (SheReads, Anonymous user)
    SheReads: Prequel to Graceling about different characters.
    Anonymous user: because you get the same different world paranormal thing and you get the romance and the good conquers evil
    The Hero and the Crown by Robin McKinley (Aerrin99, humouress)
    Aerrin99: Aerin and Katsa are both gifted women who struggle to find the line between respect and fear. Also, they kick butt.
    humouress: The way the heroines feel like outsiders because of their heritage is similar, as is the way the authors describe the way the heroines think.
    Alanna: The First Adventure by Tamora Pierce (francescadefreitas, helgagrace, espertus)
    espertus: Both Graceling and the Lioness quartet are stories of strong but vulnerable young women wanting to use their considerable powers for good and maintain their identity in the face of romance.
    The Blue Sword by Robin McKinley (foggidawn, Aerrin99, humouress)
    Aerrin99: For stories that feature interesting and strong woman matched with equally interesting and strong men, with a dash of danger, adventure, and magic tossed in, try either of these books!
    Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder (deadbookdarling)
    deadbookdarling: Both are set in magical worlds, have strong female leads and a dash of romance.
    Terrier by Tamora Pierce (notemily)
    First Test by Tamora Pierce (foggidawn)
    Finnikin of the Rock by Melina Marchetta (alaskabookworm)
    The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner (notemily, C.Vick)
    C.Vick: While different in essence, I think Turner's Attolia books have a similar feel to Graceling.
    Mistwood by Leah Cypess (foggidawn)
    The Singer of All Songs by Kate Constable (bbrux)
    bbrux: Young woman on an adventure to discover her hidden talents.
    Cinder by Marissa Meyer (Rozax)
    Rozax: Protagonist is relegated to third-class citizenship because of her gifts and must overcome prejudice.
    Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas (luna_lovegood)
    luna_lovegood: Exactly as kazhout said "strong, beautiful, intelligent, and sassy." Plus, badass and good heart.
    Queen of Shadows by Sarah J. Maas (ajwseven)
    Divergent by Veronica Roth (hairball, Echocliffs)
    hairball: Young women rebelling against their prescribed role.
    The Queen of Attolia by Megan Whalen Turner (Nikkles)
    Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit by Nahoko Uehashi (avatiakh)
    Uprooted by Naomi Novik (cransell)
    cransell: Both excellent YA fantasy with strong female characters and great world building.
    The Legacy of Tril: Soulbound by Zac Brewer (SunnySD)

English (477)  Dutch (1)  Swedish (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (480)
The fantasy world of this trilogy is brilliantly designed with its own creations of 'abilities' and looks. This one and the two other books should not be considered as fully teen novels due to their very gruesome story bits that they entail. Therefore it is suited to be read by fantasy fanatics of many ages which is the reason why I can still call it one of my fave reads in fantasy literature. Plus when the main characters change from one book to another this makes it to an more interesting read.
  Margta | Sep 11, 2016 |
Graceling is a wonderful and powerful debut novel, the first in a trilogy. The novel tackles issues off sex, gender, identity, good, and evil in ways that are an original take on old themes. There is much positive to say about this book, but also some negatives. But first, the good, and the good is very good. First, Katsa is a very powerful female character. She doesn’t need a man to make her life complete, she grapples with very real and heavy emotions, and her motives for things are more complex than many women are given credit for in much of fantasy literature. For me, the biggest question cats was asking herself was: What is a monster? Is she a monster because she kills or does she kill because she’s a monster? Do the actions or the intentions make the monster? And how can she reconcile her desire to do good and the fact that she always has to kill because she is owned by the king, a king who is no good at all.
These questions are very big things to be tackling, especially as a 16 year old girl, but she is forced to deal with them as the plot thickens. But the plot is where I have the most issue with this novel. While the characterization and the setting are wonderful, the plot doesn’t live up. The plot is fairly mediocre and is too small for the big characters of this novel. I care about things because I love Katsa so much, but the full emotional impact of the novel is lost on me because the stakes in the novel are not raised in a well-written way. I know that bad things are happening and bad things will happen if Katsa and Po do not succeed on their quest, but I don’t really understand how that will be relevant to me or the characters.
I thought that Katsa’s characterization was the best part of the book by far. She is a very accurate depiction of a teenage girl who is struggling with first rushes of sexual feelings and love, with trying to figure out what sort of adult she wants to be, and how everything will all fit together. What may seem like sudden character changes (like when she figures out her grace isn’t killing, but survival) to me some very accurate to the way teenagers have to deal with life. They will be very angsty and then all the sudden on day the problem they were so angsty about is gone and they are fine again and on to a different issue to be solved.
While Po and Katsa’s relationship seems very sudden and quick to adult readers, to the teenage audience this is intended for this would seem natural and reasonable. For teenagers everything is happening for the first time. All of their adult feelings and emotions and worries are brand new and they are trying to figure out how they work and how to control them. So teenagers rush into things. Thy experience things very deeply, with very high highs and very low lows. Their emotions are often selfish even as they try to figure out how to act selflessly. They are awkward and clumsy and unsure. And I think Cashore did a brilliant job of expressing that exact feeling. The awkward confidence of being an adolescent is something adult writers so very barely are able to accurate capture, but Cashore managed to pull it off.
I also want to applaud her for acknowledging the sexuality of teenagers. So many writers if they are writing about teenagers treat them like adults with no sexual desires or more complex emotions. Like large children. It is very narrowminded and unfortunate and doesn’t allow these characters to be as full as they could be.
Overall, this book is very excellent, but reflects the fact Cashore is a new writer and is still learning her craft, but I have very high hopes for her future and look forward to reading the rest of the series. ( )
  EruditeVolatility | Jul 12, 2016 |
This was great! What a fantastic kick-arse character Katsa is. The plot is unpredictable and the characters grow and develop throughout the novel. The action is relentless and the love story which develops is believable because it is peppered with tender humour - there is no doubt, however, who wears the pants! I was really disappointed when I read the final page because I didn’t want to leave Katsa’s and Po’s world and I would have liked it to be a trilogy. Hopefully Cashore will think about continuing the story at some point. One tiny niggle - the ending for me was a bit quick. It should have been a bit harder to overcome Leck and the bit at the end with Po was just a teensy bit hard to believe, but over all I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. ( )
  mmacd3814 | May 30, 2016 |
Just ok

I don't guess I knew what to expect with this book but for me it was just OK. The characters were sort of likable and the story was sort a clever but it did not draw me in like some other books. As a mom I wouldn't let my young teens read it due to the anti marriage sentiment. ( )
  cool-mom-e | May 7, 2016 |
"Oh this is dreadful. Whatever shall I do?" This was the line that ended the book for me. Flat characters and robotic dialogue weren't enough to sustain me for another 300 pages. I thoroughly enjoyed the concept, but not the execution. The book has gotten high marks on here, so I'm fully aware that it's just an issue of my own preference toward the book. ( )
  thetrevr | May 1, 2016 |
In a world of gossip girls, it is perhaps refreshing to have a teenage heroine who cuts off all her hair because it gets in her way; and Kristin Cashore’s eccentric and absorbing first novel, “Graceling,” has such a heroine. Katsa is tough, awkward, beautiful and consumed by pressing moral issues

Kristin Cashoreprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Baker, David AaronNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my mother,
Nedda Previtera Cashore,
who has a meatball Grace,
and my father,
J. Michael Cashore,
who is Graced with losing (and finding) his glasses
In these dungeons the darkness was complete, but Katsa had a map in her mind.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0547258305, Paperback)

If you had the power to kill with your bare hands, what would you do with it?

Graceling takes readers inside the world of Katsa, a warrior-girl in her late teens with one blue eye and one green eye. This gives her haunting beauty, but also marks her as a Graceling. Gracelings are beings with special talents—swimming, storytelling, dancing. Katsa's Grace is considered more useful: her ability to fight (and kill, if she wanted to) is unequaled in the seven kingdoms. Forced to act as a henchman for a manipulative king, Katsa channels her guilt by forming a secret council of like-minded citizens who carry out secret missions to promote justice over cruelty and abuses of power.

Combining elements of fantasy and romance, Cashore skillfully portrays the confusion, discovery, and angst that smart, strong-willed girls experience as they creep toward adulthood. Katsa wrestles with questions of freedom, truth, and knowing when to rely on a friend for help. This is no small task for an angry girl who had eschewed friendships (with the exception of one cousin that she trusts) for her more ready skills of self-reliance, hunting, and fighting. Katsa also comes to know the real power of her Grace and the nature of Graces in general: they are not always what they appear to be.

Graceling is the first book in a series, and Kristin Cashore’s first work of fiction. It sets up a vivid world with engaging characters that readers will certainly look forward to following beyond the last chapter of this book. (Ages 14 and up) --Heidi Broadhead

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:50 -0400)

In a world where some people are born with extreme and often-feared skills called Graces, Katsa struggles for redemption from her own horrifying Grace, the Grace of killing, and teams up with another young fighter to save their land from a corrupt king.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,206,475 books! | Top bar: Always visible