Graceling by Kristin Cashore
Title:Graceling
Authors:Kristin Cashore
Info:Harcourt Children's Books (2008), Hardcover, 480 pages

Graceling by Kristin Cashore

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (librarymeg, saltypepper)
    saltypepper: The heroines' voices are very similar, maybe due to their similar response to the awful circumstances they find themselves in.
    Fire by Kristin Cashore (SheReads, Anonymous user)
    SheReads: Prequel to Graceling about different characters.
    Anonymous user: because you get the same different world paranormal thing and you get the romance and the good conquers evil
    The Hero and the Crown by Robin McKinley (Aerrin99, humouress)
    Aerrin99: Aerin and Katsa are both gifted women who struggle to find the line between respect and fear. Also, they kick butt.
    humouress: The way the heroines feel like outsiders because of their heritage is similar, as is the way the authors describe the way the heroines think.
    Alanna: The First Adventure by Tamora Pierce (francescadefreitas, helgagrace, espertus)
    espertus: Both Graceling and the Lioness quartet are stories of strong but vulnerable young women wanting to use their considerable powers for good and maintain their identity in the face of romance.
    Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder (deadbookdarling)
    deadbookdarling: Both are set in magical worlds, have strong female leads and a dash of romance.
    The Blue Sword by Robin McKinley (foggidawn, Aerrin99, humouress)
    Aerrin99: For stories that feature interesting and strong woman matched with equally interesting and strong men, with a dash of danger, adventure, and magic tossed in, try either of these books!
    Terrier by Tamora Pierce (notemily)
    Finnikin of the Rock by Melina Marchetta (alaskabookworm)
    The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner (notemily, C.Vick)
    C.Vick: While different in essence, I think Turner's Attolia books have a similar feel to Graceling.
    First Test by Tamora Pierce (foggidawn)
    Cinder by Marissa Meyer (Rozax)
    Rozax: Protagonist is relegated to third-class citizenship because of her gifts and must overcome prejudice.
    Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas (luna_lovegood)
    luna_lovegood: Exactly as kazhout said "strong, beautiful, intelligent, and sassy." Plus, badass and good heart.
    Mistwood by Leah Cypess (foggidawn)
    The Singer of All Songs by Kate Constable (bbrux)
    bbrux: Young woman on an adventure to discover her hidden talents.
    The Queen of Attolia by Megan Whalen Turner (Nikkles)
    Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit by Nahoko Uehashi (avatiakh)
    The Legacy of Tril: Soulbound by Heather Brewer (SunnySD)
    The Demon King by Cinda Williams Chima (furieous)
    Touch of Power by Maria V. Snyder (bluepolicebox)
    Defy by Sara B. Larson (BookLizard)
    BookLizard: Strong female character. Political intrigue. Realistic love triangle.

English (453)  Dutch (1)  Swedish (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (456)
Wow, just wow. How sweet is this story?

I am blown away by the sheer number of things that have happened in this novel. It was very well written and fast paced, i didn't expect that. I am usually particular about YA/NA novels. If they are too juvenile, i just can't force myself to go trough them. This, this was amazing.

Katsa was a powerful young woman, brave, strong, and beautiful both inside and out. She inspired me, truly she did. She was tough as nails when she needed to be, and so human and feminine at other times. Her relationship with Po developed so naturally that i couldn't help but feel for them both.

Po was an amazing male lead, a true alpha male, but without the posturing and the machismo bullcrap that goes with it. He was strong, he was honest, he was kind and he wasn't afraid to feel.

As a fantasy, this is a brilliant story. As a NA novel, this is how it should be done, true character development without overanalyzing things that should simply come naturally. As a romance, it was so sweet i am still smiling. I can tell you that i felt that parting on the mountain, i didn't know will we see Po again.

I would recommend this to anyone who want a good read, that will leave them with a smile on their face. ( )
  IvieHill | Aug 6, 2015 |
*rubs temples* I did enjoy this book, when it wasn't focusing on Katsa. I enjoyed the world, the idea of the Graced, etc. I loved Bitterblue to death, and Skye, and Po. Loved it.

Ohhhh, but did I hate Katsa. I already know about the feminist debate, and honestly, all I have to say is, is that I do not enjoy someone's beliefs shoved down my throat, and that is what I felt happening whenever Cashore mentioned marriage, children, and sex. I respect your decisions if you do not wish to be married/have kids (I don't!) but it felt like Cashore wanted us to think that marriage was bad, and kids were bad. I do understand that in that time period, women probably had few or no rights, but that doesn't mean those women who WANT to get married and have children are doing something wrong. So many times Katsa criticized her fellow peers for being married/wanting to be married and having children. That disgusted me. Severely.

Katsa is also abusive, and her first reaction to anything is anger, like some savage beast. That scene were she hit Po almost did it for me. He simply said something that she didn't like, and not unkindly either! And she punched him. WTTTTFFFFFFF. No. I don't care if it's a woman doing it to a man, or vice versa, that sh*t is NOT okay.

Whenever someone brings up marriage, or something feminine or something she doesn't particularly agree with, she replies with almost instant anger, and sometimes it's explosive. Like, wtf? You're supposed to be some badass warrior chick, but you can't even keep your emotions in check? Oh yeah, and she cries a lot in this book. Half of the times, it was for stupid reasons, like "omg wut is luv i can't handle it waaaaaaa". *eyeroll* Katsa was overly dramatic in EVERYTHING she did. When she wasn't angry, she was crying. *Sighhhhh* Lord, please spare me.

On top of it all... Katsa had no personality. She felt dead to me as a character. Yeah, she could fight (I will get to that survival Grace BS later), yeah she liked Po... but that was it. I didn't feel connected to Katsa. I had so many questions for her, like "What do you do in your spare time besides fight? Do you like to read, draw, ride horses, dance, etc? What are your plans for the future? What would you like to do, or be?" I could see how Katsa's favorite pastime would be fighting, but I didn't feel like she enjoyed fighting. We were told she enjoyed it.. but I didn't see it. And I guess that's the problem with Cashore's writing. She tells you things, never shows them. Like f*cking King Leck's death.

King Leck's death. All Katsa did was throw a dagger at Leck while he was talking, and BAM! He died. No no no, forget that she was under his mind spell. She magically snapped out of it because she's speshul . (How the hell is that even possible if Leck's Grace has such a powerful effect on Katsa? Don't give me that Graced BS either, because he fooled tons of other Graced too.) Anyway, Cashore told us how King Leck died. I didn't feel like she showed me. I felt detached, and that the scene had no emotion or suspense with it. The climax sucked, and it pissed me off. This is how the biggest moment of the book, the moment we've all been waiting for, ends? WHAT THE F*CK?! I was soooooo pissed. In fact, it reminded me of Amanda Hocking's flat ass climax in Ascend . The king died in an anti-climatic way there too. In fact, I immediately thought of that scene once Leck died. How similar.

And finally, Katsa's Grace. Oh Katsa, you damn Mary Sue, you. FYI, making your character unfeminine and an expert killer does not cover up the fact that Katsa is a Mary Sue. Katsa is Graced with survival, which basically means she has super speshul powers that make her stronger, faster, etc, than everyone. She has EVERYTHING you could ever want. She barely even feels pain. Katsa has NO weaknesses. That, ladies and gentlemen, is where I called BS. Insert sob story about how she had no parents and men abused/hurt her, and Randa was holding her down and blah blah, and there you go. Mary Sue. Oh Katsa you POOR THING. -_____- Spare me. Oh, and Katsa has one blue eye, and one green eye, the most normal combination of mismatched colored eyes. Did anyone else notice that? Uh huh. And multiple times her eyes were called "beautiful". Uh huh. More Mary Sue BS. No no no, Katsa can't be too wild looking, or she'll be unattractive!!! At least Po had one gold and silver eye. No, but Katsa gets the least disturbing eye colors. I don't think that's a coincidence, either.

Anyway, I would've rated this book higher... however, I can't stand Katsa, so.... yeah. Two stars. Bleh. ( )
  KillerCorp | Jul 27, 2015 |
I actually picked this book at random from an online library. I just wanted to read some kind of fantasy book and the cover screams "generic fantasy book." Obviously, as I read it, I found way more depth and creativity than I had expected. Actually, it was not long after I had finally caved and read The Hunger Games, and one of my first thoughts in the book was "This is what I wanted Katniss to be." The strong female protagonist and role model who would do what she had to to survive and fight, but took no pleasure in hurting people and would rather use diplomacy where she could. I thought the book was incredibly well put together, and I loved the characters. It's one of my all-time favorite fantasy books.

The audiobook is also good. It's full-cast, which I always love, and the casting is excellent. I especially liked Bitterblue's voice. ( )
  Stheno | Jul 23, 2015 |
Undoubtedly, Kristin Cashore has left a handful of readers awestruck with Graceling; a book following the story of a girl gifted with the skill to impeccably kill and survive.

With her gift, Katsa's classified as a Graceling, whom are people with a Grace, or a special talent. Her Grace is abused, however, by her power-hungry uncle of a king. Yet no matter the situations and events that arise, she was able to pull through, and learn from her mistakes and from those around her, in order to develop as an amazing character.

I can't yet fathom my exact thoughts on this book, for they're all disorganized. It seems as if this is one of those rare books that I won't be able to describe with simply words. Therefore, I won't.

However, I can assure, it is a wonderful adventure to hop along with and enjoy. ( )
  mararina | Jul 23, 2015 |
Just read in 2015. I can see why it was so widely acclaimed. Perfect tale for young women who need role models of strength, claiming your own power, overcoming adversity. ( )
  juniperSun | Jul 20, 2015 |
In a world of gossip girls, it is perhaps refreshing to have a teenage heroine who cuts off all her hair because it gets in her way; and Kristin Cashore’s eccentric and absorbing first novel, “Graceling,” has such a heroine. Katsa is tough, awkward, beautiful and consumed by pressing moral issues

Kristin Cashoreprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Baker, David AaronNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my mother,
Nedda Previtera Cashore,
who has a meatball Grace,
and my father,
J. Michael Cashore,
who is Graced with losing (and finding) his glasses
In these dungeons the darkness was complete, but Katsa had a map in her mind.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0547258305, Paperback)

If you had the power to kill with your bare hands, what would you do with it?

Graceling takes readers inside the world of Katsa, a warrior-girl in her late teens with one blue eye and one green eye. This gives her haunting beauty, but also marks her as a Graceling. Gracelings are beings with special talents—swimming, storytelling, dancing. Katsa's Grace is considered more useful: her ability to fight (and kill, if she wanted to) is unequaled in the seven kingdoms. Forced to act as a henchman for a manipulative king, Katsa channels her guilt by forming a secret council of like-minded citizens who carry out secret missions to promote justice over cruelty and abuses of power.

Combining elements of fantasy and romance, Cashore skillfully portrays the confusion, discovery, and angst that smart, strong-willed girls experience as they creep toward adulthood. Katsa wrestles with questions of freedom, truth, and knowing when to rely on a friend for help. This is no small task for an angry girl who had eschewed friendships (with the exception of one cousin that she trusts) for her more ready skills of self-reliance, hunting, and fighting. Katsa also comes to know the real power of her Grace and the nature of Graces in general: they are not always what they appear to be.

Graceling is the first book in a series, and Kristin Cashore’s first work of fiction. It sets up a vivid world with engaging characters that readers will certainly look forward to following beyond the last chapter of this book. (Ages 14 and up) --Heidi Broadhead

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:50 -0400)

In a world where some people are born with extreme and often-feared skills called Graces, Katsa struggles for redemption from her own horrifying Grace, the Grace of killing, and teams up with another young fighter to save their land from a corrupt king.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,128,003 books! | Top bar: Always visible