Graceling by Kristin Cashore
6,818482540 (4.15)1 / 661
Member:EvahLynn
Title:Graceling
Authors:Kristin Cashore
Info:Orlando, FL : Harcourt, 2008.

Graceling by Kristin Cashore

Recently added byyonitdm, TheBicen, EvaHamill, celinabac, private library, saulegriza, profcobra, flyboysgu, Siransi
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (librarymeg, saltypepper)
    saltypepper: The heroines' voices are very similar, maybe due to their similar response to the awful circumstances they find themselves in.
    Fire by Kristin Cashore (SheReads, Anonymous user)
    SheReads: Prequel to Graceling about different characters.
    Anonymous user: because you get the same different world paranormal thing and you get the romance and the good conquers evil
    The Hero and the Crown by Robin McKinley (Aerrin99, humouress)
    Aerrin99: Aerin and Katsa are both gifted women who struggle to find the line between respect and fear. Also, they kick butt.
    humouress: The way the heroines feel like outsiders because of their heritage is similar, as is the way the authors describe the way the heroines think.
    Alanna: The First Adventure by Tamora Pierce (francescadefreitas, helgagrace, espertus)
    espertus: Both Graceling and the Lioness quartet are stories of strong but vulnerable young women wanting to use their considerable powers for good and maintain their identity in the face of romance.
    The Blue Sword by Robin McKinley (foggidawn, Aerrin99, humouress)
    Aerrin99: For stories that feature interesting and strong woman matched with equally interesting and strong men, with a dash of danger, adventure, and magic tossed in, try either of these books!
    Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder (deadbookdarling)
    deadbookdarling: Both are set in magical worlds, have strong female leads and a dash of romance.
    Terrier by Tamora Pierce (notemily)
    First Test by Tamora Pierce (foggidawn)
    Finnikin of the Rock by Melina Marchetta (alaskabookworm)
    The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner (notemily, C.Vick)
    C.Vick: While different in essence, I think Turner's Attolia books have a similar feel to Graceling.
    Mistwood by Leah Cypess (foggidawn)
    The Singer of All Songs by Kate Constable (bbrux)
    bbrux: Young woman on an adventure to discover her hidden talents.
    Cinder by Marissa Meyer (Rozax)
    Rozax: Protagonist is relegated to third-class citizenship because of her gifts and must overcome prejudice.
    Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas (luna_lovegood)
    luna_lovegood: Exactly as kazhout said "strong, beautiful, intelligent, and sassy." Plus, badass and good heart.
    Queen of Shadows by Sarah J. Maas (ajwseven)
    Divergent by Veronica Roth (hairball, Echocliffs)
    hairball: Young women rebelling against their prescribed role.
    The Queen of Attolia by Megan Whalen Turner (Nikkles)
    Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit by Nahoko Uehashi (avatiakh)
    Uprooted by Naomi Novik (cransell)
    cransell: Both excellent YA fantasy with strong female characters and great world building.
    The Legacy of Tril: Soulbound by Zac Brewer (SunnySD)

English (479)  Dutch (1)  Swedish (1)  Spanish (1)  All (482)
Graceling (Graceling Realm #1) by Kristin Cashore is a book I had mixed feelings about. I loved the idea of having these skills or Grace. The first couple of chapters had me very interested but then it started leaving me flat. I like the premise of the story, the potential, and some of the characters. I just found that it didn't have 'something' that made me want to get deep into this world. It was an okay read but I doubt I will follow the series. I got this book from the library. ( )
  MontzaleeW | Jan 3, 2017 |
I enjoyed this story very much. The idea of Graces", an ability that allows the user to become the best at something, ie, fighting ability, seeing, hearing, green thumb, etc.

This revolves around Katsa,a young royal Graced with the ability to survive. Her ability is misused by the King until she breaks the ties and goes on her own. After that, nefarious schemes are revealed about another king and a young princess and Katsa must kill the one and save the other.

The upsides:
A lot of cool action, fighting, locales all over the various kingdoms, meeting various members of the "Council" [an underground movement to limit the damage done by uncontrolled kings] and seeing the beginnings of a united government because of the council.

The downsides:
Katsa's view that marriage was a bad thing. Commitment and self-sacrifice for another, in a marriage relationship, was put lower than eating pig swill. Then the author elevates "being lovers with the ability to walk away with no strings attached" as somehow being good. I wouldn't let kids read this, not until they had a good foundational understanding of what Love truly is, not just the fuzzy, wuzzy feelings.

Overall, a good story. There were times that I rolled my eyes at Katsa's actions, but seeing as how this was written by a woman, about a woman for young women, the eyerolling was just a natural manly reaction on my part.
" ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
Towards the middle the melodrama and romance got to be too much for me and I had to put it down for a couple of days, but overall I liked it. An interesting world and characters. ( )
  oswallt | Nov 25, 2016 |
This one is my new all time favorite YA book! I was looking for something unique with a magical feel and this one surpassed all expectations. It was suspenseful, romantic, and emotional. It's a story with a paranormal presence and a royal feel. The Heroine is a bada$$ and Po is the book boyfriend of my dreams.

I really can't say much about this story without spoiling key points, but I will say this... It's a story of survival. The gracelings are graced with special abilities and some are not always favored by others. Katsa, the lead female is graced with a very unique ability. She is feared by many and even looks down on herself at times. When her and Po pair up, her eyes are opened to how truly blessed she is. At first they don't care for one another, but feelings quickly form and an unbreakable connection links the two together.

It's an epic romance in my eyes and I never expected the twist near the end. I am looking forward to reading the others in the series & highly recommend this one to all readers! ( )
  ReadersCandyb | Oct 7, 2016 |
The fantasy world of this trilogy is brilliantly designed with its own creations of 'abilities' and looks. This one and the two other books should not be considered as fully teen novels due to their very gruesome story bits that they entail. Therefore it is suited to be read by fantasy fanatics of many ages which is the reason why I can still call it one of my fave reads in fantasy literature. Plus when the main characters change from one book to another this makes it to an more interesting read.
  Margta | Sep 11, 2016 |
In a world of gossip girls, it is perhaps refreshing to have a teenage heroine who cuts off all her hair because it gets in her way; and Kristin Cashore’s eccentric and absorbing first novel, “Graceling,” has such a heroine. Katsa is tough, awkward, beautiful and consumed by pressing moral issues

Kristin Cashoreprimary authorall editionscalculated
Baker, David AaronNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my mother,
Nedda Previtera Cashore,
who has a meatball Grace,
and my father,
J. Michael Cashore,
who is Graced with losing (and finding) his glasses
In these dungeons the darkness was complete, but Katsa had a map in her mind.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0547258305, Paperback)

If you had the power to kill with your bare hands, what would you do with it?

Graceling takes readers inside the world of Katsa, a warrior-girl in her late teens with one blue eye and one green eye. This gives her haunting beauty, but also marks her as a Graceling. Gracelings are beings with special talents—swimming, storytelling, dancing. Katsa's Grace is considered more useful: her ability to fight (and kill, if she wanted to) is unequaled in the seven kingdoms. Forced to act as a henchman for a manipulative king, Katsa channels her guilt by forming a secret council of like-minded citizens who carry out secret missions to promote justice over cruelty and abuses of power.

Combining elements of fantasy and romance, Cashore skillfully portrays the confusion, discovery, and angst that smart, strong-willed girls experience as they creep toward adulthood. Katsa wrestles with questions of freedom, truth, and knowing when to rely on a friend for help. This is no small task for an angry girl who had eschewed friendships (with the exception of one cousin that she trusts) for her more ready skills of self-reliance, hunting, and fighting. Katsa also comes to know the real power of her Grace and the nature of Graces in general: they are not always what they appear to be.

Graceling is the first book in a series, and Kristin Cashore’s first work of fiction. It sets up a vivid world with engaging characters that readers will certainly look forward to following beyond the last chapter of this book. (Ages 14 and up) --Heidi Broadhead

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:50 -0400)

In a world where some people are born with extreme and often-feared skills called Graces, Katsa struggles for redemption from her own horrifying Grace, the Grace of killing, and teams up with another young fighter to save their land from a corrupt king.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 111,656,522 books! | Top bar: Always visible