Graceling by Kristin Cashore
6,015451694 (4.17)1 / 640
Member:EvahLynn
Title:Graceling
Authors:Kristin Cashore
Info:Orlando, FL : Harcourt, 2008.

Graceling by Kristin Cashore

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (librarymeg, saltypepper)
    saltypepper: The heroines' voices are very similar, maybe due to their similar response to the awful circumstances they find themselves in.
    Fire by Kristin Cashore (SheReads, Anonymous user)
    SheReads: Prequel to Graceling about different characters.
    Anonymous user: because you get the same different world paranormal thing and you get the romance and the good conquers evil
    The Hero and the Crown by Robin McKinley (Aerrin99, humouress)
    Aerrin99: Aerin and Katsa are both gifted women who struggle to find the line between respect and fear. Also, they kick butt.
    humouress: The way the heroines feel like outsiders because of their heritage is similar, as is the way the authors describe the way the heroines think.
    Alanna: The First Adventure by Tamora Pierce (francescadefreitas, helgagrace, espertus)
    espertus: Both Graceling and the Lioness quartet are stories of strong but vulnerable young women wanting to use their considerable powers for good and maintain their identity in the face of romance.
    Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder (deadbookdarling)
    deadbookdarling: Both are set in magical worlds, have strong female leads and a dash of romance.
    The Blue Sword by Robin McKinley (foggidawn, Aerrin99, humouress)
    Aerrin99: For stories that feature interesting and strong woman matched with equally interesting and strong men, with a dash of danger, adventure, and magic tossed in, try either of these books!
    Terrier by Tamora Pierce (notemily)
    Finnikin of the Rock by Melina Marchetta (alaskabookworm)
    The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner (notemily, C.Vick)
    C.Vick: While different in essence, I think Turner's Attolia books have a similar feel to Graceling.
    First Test by Tamora Pierce (foggidawn)
    Cinder by Marissa Meyer (Rozax)
    Rozax: Protagonist is relegated to third-class citizenship because of her gifts and must overcome prejudice.
    Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas (luna_lovegood)
    luna_lovegood: Exactly as kazhout said "strong, beautiful, intelligent, and sassy." Plus, badass and good heart.
    Mistwood by Leah Cypess (foggidawn)
    The Singer of All Songs by Kate Constable (bbrux)
    bbrux: Young woman on an adventure to discover her hidden talents.
    The Queen of Attolia by Megan Whalen Turner (Nikkles)
    Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit by Nahoko Uehashi (avatiakh)
    The Legacy of Tril: Soulbound by Heather Brewer (SunnySD)
    The Demon King by Cinda Williams Chima (furieous)
    Touch of Power by Maria V. Snyder (bluepolicebox)
    Defy by Sara B. Larson (BookLizard)
    BookLizard: Strong female character. Political intrigue. Realistic love triangle.

English (449)  Dutch (1)  Swedish (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (452)
Graceling was the first audiobook that I ever read or more accurately, heard.

I had read this book previously, but I liked it so much the first time, that I wanted to do it all over again.

I loved every second of the audiobook. I loved how it was Full Cast Audio, so we could always know which character was speaking.

Kristin Cashore has a way with words where she can build a world completely different from our own, yet still make it believable. I found myself devouring every single second of it, just to hear more and more of the story.

I loved the main character, Katsa, because she was a great female heroine. She is the definition of a kick-ass character. I loved how she always stayed true to herself up to the end of the story.

I also really liked the romance in this book, I found that the romance was completely swoon-worthy and completely enjoyable. Seeing the way Po and Katsa's love developed was really sweet.

Even the villain in the story was great! I found I could really feel him being "evil" which is kind of the point. I don't want lame villains, which Kristin Cashore definitely didn't do.

The only aspect of the book that I didn't enjoy as much was the pacing. I felt like there was too much description. When I wanted to get to the action-y part, I was left hearing 10 minutes of the description of the forest. Other than that, I didn't find anything that made me not like the book.

Overall, Graceling is a magical book. It can reel you in and keep you there up until the very last page. If you like fantasy, and some pretty kick-ass characters, read this book.

5 stars. ( )
  mariannelee_0902 | Jul 1, 2015 |
Actually read this one second (between Fire and Bitterblue). ( )
  Dandeggan | Jun 26, 2015 |
delightful characters - good world-building - plenty of room for farther development - nice steady reveals - overall I will definitely be reading more by this author. Philosophy has a touch of inconsistency, which could be the foundation for further character development. ( )
  jason9292 | Jun 11, 2015 |
Usualmente ,este gènero (Young-adult) no es lo mìo. Màs que nada por la falta de sensualidad u otros temas adultos , pero cuando la historia es asì de atrapante y los personajes tan inolvidables , me olvido de mis prioridades habituales y disfruto de un GRAN LIBRO como es este . Katsa y Po son sencillamente deliciosos . Katsa , una magnìfica heroìna , dura pero sin perder la ternura , un ejemplo que las autoras del gènero deberìan imitar en vez de escribir mujeres tan pobres como insoportables . ( )
  LaMala | Jun 7, 2015 |
Oh man, this book - it broke my heart and not in the good way.

The book started out well enough. It's very well written, the pacing is good, character development was good, the world building was good, the plot was good. It was all good. This should have been a solid four star read. In the end I had to talk myself from two stars up to three.

Graceling follows a pretty typical high fantasy recipe: Main character has extraordinary powers and is subject to the whims of tyrant-king. Meanwhile, evil is brewing elsewhere. Character meets love interest - see love story grow. Character takes hold of their own destiny and sets out to save the world. There's nothing really new here.

Still, at first, the book kept me reading and was well on its way to a four-star rating. Then I hit the 60% mark and suddenly found myself in danger of dying from boredom. It picks up again for the last 5-6% or so, but there's something fundamentally wrong when the most boring part of a book is the part which is supposed to be the most exciting. I literally had to force myself to read the last 40% and even then I skim-read a lot of the stuff with Katsa and Bitterblue in the mountains because I knew if I didn't, this would end up in the DNF pile.

Okay, now I'm going to address the feminist agenda in this book. I love books with a feminist theme. I love a good old 'stong female' main character as much as the next feminist. I did not like Katsa. In fact, I've come very close to hating her. She's not the worst pseudo-feminist character I hated, nor does she hold the number one spot on my list (that honor is reserved for Celaena Sardothien) but I'd probably say she takes number two.

Her out-right refusal to marry? I could appreciate this if it was for a sensible reason, or just because (like myself) she saw no value in it. Refusing to marry because she would not allow a man to rule her - especially when at one point in the novel she admits that her love interest wouldn't do that - is ridiculous. I might not see the value in marriage myself, but the message in this book that marriage is unequal is not fair and misrepresenting.

Her abhorrence of all things feminine? This is the one that really gets me. This ideal that in order to be considered truly equal women must cast off the trappings of femininity and embrace all that is masculine. She cuts her hair short "like a mans," likes to remind us of how much she hates dresses and shoes and jewelry and basically anything that can be considered remotely feminine, she lives in men's clothing. I would love to see a woman who accepts that she is a woman and embraces everything that is feminine be a kick ass heroine (and yes, I know, Celaena Sardothien, but I explain all my reasons for disliking her here.)

This habit that authors have of trying to masculinise female characters and calling it feminism is so damaging. It completely undermines the real message behind feminism that women, exactly as they are, are just as capable and competent as men. By turning her into a tomboy, the author demeans that message, especially when it has already been done so, so many times.

Overall, it was a disappointing read. It ended up being a very boring, the main character was frustrating to read about but the quality of the writing was very good. It's not a book I'll ever read again and I don't think I'll be going on to read the other two. ( )
  LydiaLeigh257 | Apr 29, 2015 |
In a world of gossip girls, it is perhaps refreshing to have a teenage heroine who cuts off all her hair because it gets in her way; and Kristin Cashore’s eccentric and absorbing first novel, “Graceling,” has such a heroine. Katsa is tough, awkward, beautiful and consumed by pressing moral issues

Kristin Cashoreprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Baker, David AaronNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my mother,
Nedda Previtera Cashore,
who has a meatball Grace,
and my father,
J. Michael Cashore,
who is Graced with losing (and finding) his glasses
In these dungeons the darkness was complete, but Katsa had a map in her mind.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0547258305, Paperback)

If you had the power to kill with your bare hands, what would you do with it?

Graceling takes readers inside the world of Katsa, a warrior-girl in her late teens with one blue eye and one green eye. This gives her haunting beauty, but also marks her as a Graceling. Gracelings are beings with special talents—swimming, storytelling, dancing. Katsa's Grace is considered more useful: her ability to fight (and kill, if she wanted to) is unequaled in the seven kingdoms. Forced to act as a henchman for a manipulative king, Katsa channels her guilt by forming a secret council of like-minded citizens who carry out secret missions to promote justice over cruelty and abuses of power.

Combining elements of fantasy and romance, Cashore skillfully portrays the confusion, discovery, and angst that smart, strong-willed girls experience as they creep toward adulthood. Katsa wrestles with questions of freedom, truth, and knowing when to rely on a friend for help. This is no small task for an angry girl who had eschewed friendships (with the exception of one cousin that she trusts) for her more ready skills of self-reliance, hunting, and fighting. Katsa also comes to know the real power of her Grace and the nature of Graces in general: they are not always what they appear to be.

Graceling is the first book in a series, and Kristin Cashore’s first work of fiction. It sets up a vivid world with engaging characters that readers will certainly look forward to following beyond the last chapter of this book. (Ages 14 and up) --Heidi Broadhead

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:50 -0400)

In a world where some people are born with extreme and often-feared skills called Graces, Katsa struggles for redemption from her own horrifying Grace, the Grace of killing, and teams up with another young fighter to save their land from a corrupt king.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,946,782 books! | Top bar: Always visible