Graceling by Kristin Cashore
6,326475625 (4.17)1 / 650
Member:EvahLynn
Title:Graceling
Authors:Kristin Cashore
Info:Orlando, FL : Harcourt, 2008.

Graceling by Kristin Cashore

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (librarymeg, saltypepper)
    saltypepper: The heroines' voices are very similar, maybe due to their similar response to the awful circumstances they find themselves in.
    Fire by Kristin Cashore (SheReads, Anonymous user)
    SheReads: Prequel to Graceling about different characters.
    Anonymous user: because you get the same different world paranormal thing and you get the romance and the good conquers evil
    The Hero and the Crown by Robin McKinley (Aerrin99, humouress)
    Aerrin99: Aerin and Katsa are both gifted women who struggle to find the line between respect and fear. Also, they kick butt.
    humouress: The way the heroines feel like outsiders because of their heritage is similar, as is the way the authors describe the way the heroines think.
    Alanna: The First Adventure by Tamora Pierce (francescadefreitas, helgagrace, espertus)
    espertus: Both Graceling and the Lioness quartet are stories of strong but vulnerable young women wanting to use their considerable powers for good and maintain their identity in the face of romance.
    Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder (deadbookdarling)
    deadbookdarling: Both are set in magical worlds, have strong female leads and a dash of romance.
    The Blue Sword by Robin McKinley (foggidawn, Aerrin99, humouress)
    Aerrin99: For stories that feature interesting and strong woman matched with equally interesting and strong men, with a dash of danger, adventure, and magic tossed in, try either of these books!
    Terrier by Tamora Pierce (notemily)
    Finnikin of the Rock by Melina Marchetta (alaskabookworm)
    The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner (notemily, C.Vick)
    C.Vick: While different in essence, I think Turner's Attolia books have a similar feel to Graceling.
    First Test by Tamora Pierce (foggidawn)
    Mistwood by Leah Cypess (foggidawn)
    The Singer of All Songs by Kate Constable (bbrux)
    bbrux: Young woman on an adventure to discover her hidden talents.
    Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas (luna_lovegood)
    luna_lovegood: Exactly as kazhout said "strong, beautiful, intelligent, and sassy." Plus, badass and good heart.
    Cinder by Marissa Meyer (Rozax)
    Rozax: Protagonist is relegated to third-class citizenship because of her gifts and must overcome prejudice.
    Queen of Shadows by Sarah J. Maas (ajwseven)
    The Queen of Attolia by Megan Whalen Turner (Nikkles)
    Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit by Nahoko Uehashi (avatiakh)
    The Legacy of Tril: Soulbound by Heather Brewer (SunnySD)
    Uprooted by Naomi Novik (cransell)
    cransell: Both excellent YA fantasy with strong female characters and great world building.
    Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo (bluepolicebox)
    bluepolicebox: Similar magic system.

English (473)  Dutch (1)  Swedish (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (476)
Narrated by David Baker and cast. A terrific action-packed fantasy about kingdoms, conspiracy and special powers. Katsa is born with a "grace," the ability to fight to kill. Her uncle Randa the king uses her to dispatch his enemies although she doesn't have the heart for it and she is desperate to escape his control. She meets Po, a prince who also is graced, with a sort of mind-reading ability. Together they venture out to unravel the mystery of a distant king who may inexplicably be involved in the kidnapping of Po's grandfather. Katsa is tough and independent but not yet tough enough to rebel against Randa, or to protect her unwilling heart from falling for Po. Action, adventure, fantasy, coming-of-age, romance, it's all in there. The story went limp for me after a key figure is eliminated, and Katsa and Po's emerging romance bogged down the action. The voicework however is sterling, with a dramatic interpretation you won't turn away from. ( )
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
From start to finish, I loved everything about this book. It was given to me by my younger brother and it had been sitting on my shelf for some time, but it only took the first two pages for me to get into it.

I found this story to be so compelling and I loved the way the book had so many different levels: female independence, gender equilibrium relationships amongst Kasta and most of her male counter parts, Love, friendship, combat, adventure, comedy and even a layer of evil so unspeakable with King Lec. It made my heart stop, my stomach turn and my skin crawl.

I do not think that I can praise this book enough for giving me Kasta. A character so uniquely independent and self-driven with a powerful perspective and aspirations aimed toward helping those in the 7 kingdoms. Kasta knows what she wants and what she doesn’t want in her life and she does not let anyone, not even Po take that away from her by trying to change her mind. And what was even more rewarding, was Po’s acceptance of Katsa as she was and his unwavering love for her and contentment of being by her side without trying to change her.

Some may not like or agree with the ending [spoiler alert], but I liked that the book ended with the two of them still very much in love with one another but not married. Katsa still had goals to archive and places and people to see. I think that this was a wonderful decision because the author stays true to Katsa’s character and it also comments to her character growth throughout the book as she went from being emotionally cut off and not liking children to want to allow herself to Love Po and deciding to open up combat training schools all over to help and teach children particularly girls, how to defend themselves.

To be honest, I could have read about Katsa beating up brute men in taverns and soldiers all day long! Truly the best thing ever. I loved this book and I would recommend it to everyone and if given the choice, I would add Katsa to my fictional all-star entourage team, with Petra (Sterling Wayfairer Series), Abby Mills, (Sleepy Hollow), Kia (The Occasional Diamond Thief), Dutch (Killjoys) and Max (Dark Angel) along with Po for his Grace and his amicable character.

Although I liked this book, I do not think that I will be continue the series and read Bitterblue (sequel) or Fire (prequel) based on the character and tonal shift I sensed in the Bitterblue except in the back of the Graceling book. And a from what I can tell, Fire might cover more of King Lec’s past and to be honest, he was scary enough as it is in Graceling and I’m not too eager to encounter his character any time soon.

I loved this book so much and I can’t wait for the next great read like this book. I’m pretty sure it will be the next two books in the Sterling Wayfairer series which are set to be released by the summer of this year, but since that’s still a few months away, I’ll just have to sit on my hands. :s ( )
  Arkwen452 | Feb 2, 2016 |

So I read Graceling after avoiding it for so long. I absolutely loved it with its fierce Katsa, irresistible Po, and wise Bitterblue. This book was nothing like I have expected and I can't wait to read the companion "Fire." ( )
  uhohxkate | Jan 31, 2016 |
YA-I have heard raves about Graceling, so I was not surprised when I found it to be a wonderful. There is a strong heroine, adventure, romance, fantasy, all well written and twisted into a fantastic tale. There are no cliffhangers in this story, although it is the first in a trilogy. Still, you want more..This did not feel YA at all.
Katsa is "Graced" with a power for fighting and is used by her uncle an unloveable king. She has different colored eyes as do all "Graced" people which causes people to treat them different. She faces many obstacles in dealing with her powers and those that want to own her. She meets another gracling and her perception of the world changes. They chase a mystery with action and intrigue around every tree.
I read this with my two teen daughters and we all loved it and has much to talk about when it was over. ( )
  TheYodamom | Jan 29, 2016 |
I was not sure if I would enjoy this book but it turned out to be a good story until the end. I was very disappointed with how the story closed and what happened with the 2 main characters. However, I did enjoy the rest of the story up to the very last 2 chapters. It was full of action and adventure and a little mystery and romance. The main character was a strong female and I really enjoyed how she transformed throughout the story. ( )
  Erika.D | Jan 28, 2016 |
In a world of gossip girls, it is perhaps refreshing to have a teenage heroine who cuts off all her hair because it gets in her way; and Kristin Cashore’s eccentric and absorbing first novel, “Graceling,” has such a heroine. Katsa is tough, awkward, beautiful and consumed by pressing moral issues

Kristin Cashoreprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Baker, David AaronNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my mother,
Nedda Previtera Cashore,
who has a meatball Grace,
and my father,
J. Michael Cashore,
who is Graced with losing (and finding) his glasses
In these dungeons the darkness was complete, but Katsa had a map in her mind.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0547258305, Paperback)

If you had the power to kill with your bare hands, what would you do with it?

Graceling takes readers inside the world of Katsa, a warrior-girl in her late teens with one blue eye and one green eye. This gives her haunting beauty, but also marks her as a Graceling. Gracelings are beings with special talents—swimming, storytelling, dancing. Katsa's Grace is considered more useful: her ability to fight (and kill, if she wanted to) is unequaled in the seven kingdoms. Forced to act as a henchman for a manipulative king, Katsa channels her guilt by forming a secret council of like-minded citizens who carry out secret missions to promote justice over cruelty and abuses of power.

Combining elements of fantasy and romance, Cashore skillfully portrays the confusion, discovery, and angst that smart, strong-willed girls experience as they creep toward adulthood. Katsa wrestles with questions of freedom, truth, and knowing when to rely on a friend for help. This is no small task for an angry girl who had eschewed friendships (with the exception of one cousin that she trusts) for her more ready skills of self-reliance, hunting, and fighting. Katsa also comes to know the real power of her Grace and the nature of Graces in general: they are not always what they appear to be.

Graceling is the first book in a series, and Kristin Cashore’s first work of fiction. It sets up a vivid world with engaging characters that readers will certainly look forward to following beyond the last chapter of this book. (Ages 14 and up) --Heidi Broadhead

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:50 -0400)

In a world where some people are born with extreme and often-feared skills called Graces, Katsa struggles for redemption from her own horrifying Grace, the Grace of killing, and teams up with another young fighter to save their land from a corrupt king.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,185,978 books! | Top bar: Always visible