Little Bee: A Novel by Chris Cleave

Little Bee: A Novel (edition 2010)

by Chris Cleave

Title:Little Bee: A Novel
Authors:Chris Cleave
Info:Simon & Schuster (2010), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 271 pages
Tags:mid 2000s, Nigerian atrocities, violence and fear, suicide, extra-marital affair, London asylum, magazine trade, unlikely friendship, conflict between partners

The Other Hand by Chris Cleave

Mister Pip by Lloyd Jones (Booksloth, 2810michael)
    The Help by Kathryn Stockett (monef)
    Half the Sky: Turning Oppression into Opportunity for Women Worldwide by Nicholas D. Kristof (cransell)
    Tears of the Desert: A Memoir of Survival in Darfur by Halima Bashir (sweetiegherkin)
    sweetiegherkin: Two books about strong women who survive horrific situations in war-torn African countries; one fiction and one nonfiction but both moving in their own way.
    Small Island by Andrea Levy (whymaggiemay)
    Burnt Shadows by Kamila Shamsie (2810michael)
    A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini (Booksloth)
    What Is the What by Dave Eggers (GirlMisanthrope)
    The Road Home by Rose Tremain (JenMDB)
    Mornings in Jenin by Susan Abulhawa (vitalstatistics)
    The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver (kittybooklove)
    My Cleaner by Maggie Gee (monzrocks)
    monzrocks: Presents the same intersection/juxtaposition of life in the "first world" vs. life in the "third." Both have great characters.
    The Girl Who Fell From the Sky by Heidi W. Durrow (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Strout (sarah-e)
    The Ginseng Hunter: A Novel by Jeff Talarigo (silva_44)
    Half of a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: The stories of a impoverished countryside boy and two upper-class sisters are told against the backdrop of the 1960s Biafran War. This book, by one of Nigeria's most famous authors, should appeal to readers interested in Nigeria's history, Nigerian society and the lives of women in Nigeria.… (more)
    The Thing Around Your Neck by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie (2810michael)
    2810michael: På dansk: Den anden hånd
    Purple Hibiscus by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie (2810michael)
    Hearts and Minds by Amanda Craig (dsc73277)
    dsc73277: "Hearts and Minds" and "Little Bee" have been two of the most compelling books I have read this year. Both deal sympathetically with the experience of migrants to Britain. At times they make for difficult reading, reminding one as they do of how difficult some people's lives are, however, ultimately they are not devoid of hope.… (more)
    Liberty by Jakob Ejersbo (2810michael)

English (421)  Dutch (7)  Spanish (2)  German (2)  Finnish (2)  Turkish (1)  Danish (1)  Norwegian (1)  Swedish (1)  Catalan (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (440)
I would actually have given this book 3 and a half stars if I were able. I liked the beginning, in which Little Bee's voice reveals quirks and failures of our culture like only an outsider can. But I felt let down by the middle, where I grew weary of the calloused inaction of privileged Londoners. Though the end was better, it could not make up for the disappointing middle. Overall I was left with despair, not hope, and despair does not inspire one to change the world, only to give up on it. ( )
  trwm | Oct 6, 2016 |
I expected to love this book, and maybe that is why I disliked it so much. My expectations were so high that the book could never measure up. I may have even been expecting a completely different story than the one that Chris Cleave wrote, but either way this book was just not for me.

At several points, I found myself getting aggravated as characters repeated themselves, and I'm sorry Little Bee but there are only so many secrets that I can keep "just between us." I would never judge a book before reading the whole thing, but it was such a struggle for me to get through this one that I had to purchase an audio copy in order to force myself through it.

This story may have been bearable if the ending had offered any resolution, but it just mearly ends. Overall, this really just seemed like Mr.Cleave's attempt to write the most tragic story he could imagine. As the reader, you're left with a few very quotable passages and a bitter taste in your mouth as you try to forget all of the terrible things that Mr. Cleave put Little Bee through.

Unless you are a huge Chris Cleave fan or you just really enjoy a sad story, I cannot recommend you read this book. ( )
  Nicole_13 | Jul 24, 2016 |
Incredible. It left me crying. A beautiful novel. ( )
  RoseyEm | Jul 14, 2016 |
(97) ( )
  activelearning | Jul 6, 2016 |
Based on all the hype I thought I would really like this book, but I didn't. The characters just did not resonate with me and the story wasn't as intriguing as it could have been. Overall a hohum book for me. ( )
  ChrisWay | Jul 5, 2016 |
While the pretext of “Little Bee” initially seems contrived — two strangers, a British woman and a Nigerian girl, meet on a lonely African beach and become inextricably bound through the horror imprinted on their encounter — its impact is hardly shallow. Rather than focusing on postcolonial guilt or African angst, Cleave uses his emotionally charged narrative to challenge his readers’ conceptions of civility, of ethical choice.
"Little Bee" is the best kind of political novel: You're almost entirely unaware of its politics because the book doesn't deal in abstractions but in human beings.
Book clubs in search of the next "Kite Runner" need look no further than this astonishing, flawless novel about what happens when ordinary, mundane Western lives are thrown into stark contrast against the terrifying realities of war-torn Africa.
Cleave has a sharp cinematic eye, but the plot is undermined by weak motivations and coincidences.
added by Shortride | editPublishers Weekly (Nov 10, 2008)
The taut spring of Cleave's intricate plot is a sequence of unpalatable moral decisions that cleverly bind life-choices to the guilty freight of conscience. But this novel's great strength is the squeamishly raw candour of its protagonists.

Chris Cleaveprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Flosnik, AnneNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Britain is proud of its tradition of providing a safe haven for people fleeting [sic] persecution and conflict. - From Life in the United Kingdom: A Journey to Citizenship (UK Home Office, 2005)
Britain is proud of its tradition of providing a safe haven for people fleeting [sic] persecution and conflict. ----- from Life in the United Kingdom: A Journey to Citizenship (UK Home Office, 2005)
For Joseph
Most days I wish I was a British pound coin instead of an African girl.
(Little Bee, p.13/14:) "...and I ask you right here please to agree with me that a scar is never ugly. That's what the scar makers want us to think. But you and I, we must make an agreement to defy them. We must see all scars as beauty (...) Because take it from me, a scar does not form on the dying. A scar means, "I survived".
Through the lobby of the Home Office building, the public sector shuffled past in its scuffed shoes, balancing its morning coffee on cardboard carry trays. The women bulged out of M&S trouser suits, wattles wobbling and bangles clacking. The men seemed limp and hypoxic--half-garroted by their ties. Everyone stooped, or scuttled, or nervously ticked. They carried themselves like weather presenters preparing to lower expectations for the bank-holiday weekend.
We knew what we had: we had nothing. Your world and our world had come to this understanding. Even the missionaries had boarded up their mission. They left us with the holy books that were not worth the expense of shipping back to your country. In our village our only Bible had all of its pages missing after the forty-sixth verse of the twenty-seventh chapter of Matthew, so that the end of our religion, as far as any of us knew, was My God, my god, why hast thous forsaken me? We understood that this was the end of the story. That is how we lived, happily and without hope. I was very young then, and I did not miss having a future because I did not know I was entitled to one.
Compromise, eh? Isn't it sad, growing up? You start off like my Charlie. You start off thinking you can kill all the baddies and save the world. Then you get a little bit older, maybe Little Bee's age, and you realize that some of the world's badness is inside you, that maybe you're a part of it. And then you get a little bit older still, and a bit more comfortable, and you start wondering whether that badness you've seen in yourself is really all that bad at all. You start talking about ten percent.
There were people in that crowd, and strolling along the walkway, from all of the different colors and nationalities of the earth. There were more races even than I recognized from the detention center. I stood with my back against the railings and my mouth open and I watched them walking past, more and more of them. And then I realized it. I said to myself, Little Bee, there is no them. This endless procession of people, walking along beside this great river, these people are you.
The Other Hand (UK) / Little Bee (US)

Publisher Comments:
We don't want to tell you too much about this book!

It is a truly special story and we don't want to spoil it.

Nevertheless, you need to know something, so we will just say this:

It is extremely funny, but the African beach scene is horrific.

The story starts there, but the book doesn't.

And it's what happens afterward that is most important.

Once you have read it, you'll want to tell everyone about it. When you do, please don't tell them what happens either. The magic is in how it unfolds.

A haunting novel about the tenuous friendship that blooms between two disparate strangers--one an illegal Nigerian refugee, the other a recent widow from suburban London.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Little Bee by Chris Cleave was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,721,902 books! | Top bar: Always visible