Just After Sunset by Stephen King

Just After Sunset (2008)

by Stephen King

English (76)  Finnish (2)  French (2)  Danish (1)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (83)
'Willa': *** It made me think of the original 'Twilight Zone' TV show, although it went on after the revelation and there was no Rod Serling. Is David lucky that his Willa can see more than what is in front of her eyes? I think so.

'Harvey's Dream': **1/2 I'm wondering how Harvey will feel about his dream after his wife answers the phone. (Harvey is apparently clueless about his wife's feelings. Will this marriage last?)

'The Gingerbread Girl':**** I'd listened to this story as a separate audio book only two months or so ago and it's still effective.

'Rest Stop': **** A mild-mannered writer of tough-guy books gets a chance to find out if he can save a damsel in distress.

'Stationary Bike': ***1/2 Although it reminds me a little of Duma Key, I prefer this ending, which I didn't see coming.

'Graduation Afternoon': ** Not a bad story about how everything can change in a single afternoon. I wouldn't have minded knowing what came after.

'The Things They Left Behind': ***1/2 A man who survived 9/11 is haunted by objects that belonged to persons who didn't. I really liked the ending.

'N':***** If Mr. King hadn't named his inspiration in his after notes, I'd have guessed H. P. Lovecraft. I think it's the most unsettling story in the book. Don't visit that field, whatever you do.

'New York Times at Special Bargain Rates': *It's been about three weeks since I listened to this story and I can't remember anything about it.

'Mute':** I vaguely remember some of this story.

'The Cat From Hell':**** I had no trouble remembering this one. Three cheers for the cat vs. the hired killer!

'Ayana': ***!/2 Our narrator is very, very sick. So is Ayana. Which one, if either, will the author choose to help? It was an interesting concept.

'A Very Tight Space': ***** One of the best stories in this collection is about two neighbors whose feelings toward each other are anything but neighborly. The hero is gay. I found myself cringing as I used to do when regularly watching horror films on TV -- I just knew that what our hero was doing was a Very Bad Idea. The villain's plan for him was extremely nasty. Listening to the crazy guy's conspiracy theory about the hero was disturbing. Although the hero annoyed me by not trying to use his legs first, the method Mr. King had him use did tie in sweetly with the hero's beloved dog. The hero's revenge made me chortle!

There were more winners than losers in this collection, so far as I'm concerned.
  JalenV | Jul 29, 2014 |
Excellent collection of King's short stories, definitely worth the read. ( )
  steadfastreader | Mar 18, 2014 |
Not my favorite King compilation. The first story (Willa) was my favorite, and the last one (A Very Tight Place) was mainly just gross. Several of the stories dealt with post-9/11 themes, which is always hard. ( )
  brandyhei | Jan 14, 2014 |
Uneven. King's a better writer in his longer stories. What I loved in this (The Gingerbread Girl, The Things They Left Behind, N.) I really loved. Others were so-so. Still others, such as The Cat from Hell, left me cold. Still, I'll reread many of these. ( )
  stacy_chambers | Aug 22, 2013 |
There are some readers who think that Stephen King is beneath them. But they are wrong. He writes some of the most entertaining and unsettling stories that I have ever read. I find that he tickles my imagination in just the right places. this collection of short stories offers a wide array of different kinds of unsettling premises: the kinds where a person's mental illness is actually a warning that evil in the world is closer then we think; the kind where a random evil, in the shape of a man, enters your life and you must determine if you are strong enough to fight back and the kind where the grossness of the situation, rather than the spookiness, is what grabs you. I enjoyed everything single one. I also found it interesting that one of the stories directly addressed the 9/11 terrorist attacks. The story based in this incident is one of the most humane and thoughtful pieces of writing about that tragedy that I have read. ( )
  elmoelle | Aug 9, 2013 |

Shenkman, BenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sudduth, SkippReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Winningham, MareNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ziemba, KarenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"I can fancy what you saw. Yes; it is horrible enough; but after all, it is an old story, an old mystery played....Such forces cannot be named, cannot be spoken, cannot be imagined except under a veil and a symbol, a symbol to the most of us appearing a quaint, poetic fancy, to some a foolish tale. But you and I, at all events, have known something of the terror that may dwell in the secret place of life, manifested under human flesh; that which is without form taking to itself a form. Oh, Austin, how can it be? How is it that the very sunlight does not turn to blackness before this thing, the hard earth melt and boil beneath such a burden?" -- Arthur Machen, The Great God Pan
For Heidi Pitlor
One day in 1972, I came home from work and found my wife sitting at the kitchen table with a pair of gardening shears in front of her.

Contains the following stories;
Mute
Ayana
A Very Tight Place

AR 5.9, 21 pts

This collection of short works is comprised of pieces that previously appeared in such publications as The New Yorker, Playboy, and McSweeney's, in a volume that includes such tales as ""The Gingerbread Girl"" and "N."

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,239,785 books! | Top bar: Always visible