Just After Sunset by Stephen King

Just After Sunset (2008)

by Stephen King

English (88)  French (3)  Finnish (2)  Danish (1)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (96)
I enjoyed several of the stories in this book. The first one was butchered by narration I just couldn't tolerate. I enjoyed N, Graduation Day, the story about the stationary bike, The Things They Left Behind and the Gingerbread Bread Girl in particular. At first I enjoyed a story where one of the main characters was constantly referred to as the motherfucker, but the rest of the vulgarity got hard to take. ( )
  MaureenCean | Feb 2, 2016 |
Stephen King writing is a treasure. Oh course, there are dark and twisted turns the focus on the negative side of life. He is the master of taking a simple idea and weaving it into a gripping story. Thanks for the hours of "enjoyment" from these "thrilling" stories. His short stories and novellas are particularly enjoyable and highly recommended. ( )
  deldevries | Jan 31, 2016 |
I hope I never have to experience ANYTHING even remotely resembling the last story. ( )
  Belles007 | Jan 17, 2016 |
This book of short stories was quite enjoyable for the most part but a few of the tales were just plain weird. My favorites of the 13 stories are:
"Harvey's Dream" - Harvey is telling his wife about a nightmare he had the night before and as he is telling her the horrible story it all begins to come true.
"The Things They Left Behind" - This is actually quite a lovely story about a young insurance broker who missed work on 9/11 but many of his colleagues personal items begin to appear in his apartment.
"Graduation Afternoon" - Despite the snobbery of a graduating senior boy's family towards his lower-middle class girlfriend they all face the same horror at the end of the story.
"The Cat From Hell" - A stray cat appears at the home of a pharmaceutical executive and the cat has a hidden agenda - Vengeance.
"A Very Tight Place" - This is probably the most grossed-out I have ever been by a King story and I've read nearly everything he's written.
It is an interesting collection and if you are a King fan you will enjoy it. ( )
  Ellen_R | Jan 15, 2016 |
This is a pretty average collection for King of short stories... few if any could be made into (made for tv) movies, but overall it was an interesting collection.

The part that shines about these short stories is that it is clear how much he really enjoys cranking out these shorter tales, and that the stories are all so very interesting for their length but would be a terrible fit for a novel, or even novella.

Definitely worth picking up for an avid King fan, but not one to start with for a newcomer to his works.

One thing that really stood out in this collection is that in at least most of the stories a character would say "As the man would say..." and then drop a quote. ( )
  Hexum2600 | Nov 18, 2015 |

Shenkman, BenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sudduth, SkippReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Winningham, MareNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ziemba, KarenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"I can fancy what you saw. Yes; it is horrible enough; but after all, it is an old story, an old mystery played....Such forces cannot be named, cannot be spoken, cannot be imagined except under a veil and a symbol, a symbol to the most of us appearing a quaint, poetic fancy, to some a foolish tale. But you and I, at all events, have known something of the terror that may dwell in the secret place of life, manifested under human flesh; that which is without form taking to itself a form. Oh, Austin, how can it be? How is it that the very sunlight does not turn to blackness before this thing, the hard earth melt and boil beneath such a burden?" -- Arthur Machen, The Great God Pan
For Heidi Pitlor
One day in 1972, I came home from work and found my wife sitting at the kitchen table with a pair of gardening shears in front of her.

Contains the following stories;
Mute
Ayana
A Very Tight Place

AR 5.9, 21 pts

This collection of short works is comprised of pieces that previously appeared in such publications as The New Yorker, Playboy, and McSweeney's, in a volume that includes such tales as ""The Gingerbread Girl"" and "N."

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,109,183 books! | Top bar: Always visible