Just After Sunset by Stephen King

Just After Sunset (original 2008; edition 2009)

by Stephen King

Member:amaryann21
Title:Just After Sunset
Authors:Stephen King
Info:Simon & Schuster Ome (2009), Edition: First Edition, Paperback, 576 pages
Rating:***

Just After Sunset by Stephen King (2008)

English (78)  Finnish (2)  French (2)  Danish (1)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (85)
This is a limited edition of only 500 copies numbered and presented in a slipcase in the original shrinkwrap and includes a facsimile signed letter from Stephen King, and a DVD with a graphic animation film of 'N.', one of the short stories from the book. Size: 8vo - over 7¾" - 9¾" tall
  PBlock | Oct 28, 2014 |
Reading the first story, Willa. He builds suspense well. Too many adverbs though... ( )
  imaginationzombie | Sep 28, 2014 |
One of the biggest problems of getting to know a certain author starting with his best books is that after you read them, you create an expectation whenever you see his name and, when you notice that the book is not all that you thought it would be, you feel double disappointed and end up thinking that the book is not good at all because it wasn't withing your expectations. This is pretty much what happened to me when I read this book: I read it right after reading the whole Dark Tower series and felt sort of disappointed. Well, VERY disappointed actually.

Just After Sunset is a book of short stories from the master "suspense" genre (...no, not Alfred Hitchcock), Stephen King. All of them, obviously, have a beginning and a satisfying determined ending, meaning that you'll find no breach on them that might leave the reader in doubt of what might or might not happen. The influence of the Dark Tower series in the stories is pretty evident in the characters and even the street names. The tales are not that bad, but I felt that THE Stephen King essence was missing. Ok, they're short stories, but some of them are so short you can barely think of liking the characters.

A book like any other. Definitely nothing OH MY GOD PERFECT. Good enough to make the time go by slightly faster. Nothing more than that. ( )
  aryadeschain | Aug 26, 2014 |
'Willa': *** It made me think of the original 'Twilight Zone' TV show, although it went on after the revelation and there was no Rod Serling. Is David lucky that his Willa can see more than what is in front of her eyes? I think so.

'Harvey's Dream': **1/2 I'm wondering how Harvey will feel about his dream after his wife answers the phone. (Harvey is apparently clueless about his wife's feelings. Will this marriage last?)

'The Gingerbread Girl':**** I'd listened to this story as a separate audio book only two months or so ago and it's still effective.

'Rest Stop': **** A mild-mannered writer of tough-guy books gets a chance to find out if he can save a damsel in distress.

'Stationary Bike': ***1/2 Although it reminds me a little of Duma Key, I prefer this ending, which I didn't see coming.

'Graduation Afternoon': ** Not a bad story about how everything can change in a single afternoon. I wouldn't have minded knowing what came after.

'The Things They Left Behind': ***1/2 A man who survived 9/11 is haunted by objects that belonged to persons who didn't. I really liked the ending.

'N':***** If Mr. King hadn't named his inspiration in his after notes, I'd have guessed H. P. Lovecraft. I think it's the most unsettling story in the book. Don't visit that field, whatever you do.

'New York Times at Special Bargain Rates': *It's been about three weeks since I listened to this story and I can't remember anything about it.

'Mute':** I vaguely remember some of this story.

'The Cat From Hell':**** I had no trouble remembering this one. Three cheers for the cat vs. the hired killer!

'Ayana': ***!/2 Our narrator is very, very sick. So is Ayana. Which one, if either, will the author choose to help? It was an interesting concept.

'A Very Tight Space': ***** One of the best stories in this collection is about two neighbors whose feelings toward each other are anything but neighborly. The hero is gay. I found myself cringing as I used to do when regularly watching horror films on TV -- I just knew that what our hero was doing was a Very Bad Idea. The villain's plan for him was extremely nasty. Listening to the crazy guy's conspiracy theory about the hero was disturbing. Although the hero annoyed me by not trying to use his legs first, the method Mr. King had him use did tie in sweetly with the hero's beloved dog. The hero's revenge made me chortle!

There were more winners than losers in this collection, so far as I'm concerned.
  JalenV | Jul 29, 2014 |
Excellent collection of King's short stories, definitely worth the read. ( )
  steadfastreader | Mar 18, 2014 |

Shenkman, BenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sudduth, SkippReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Winningham, MareNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ziemba, KarenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"I can fancy what you saw. Yes; it is horrible enough; but after all, it is an old story, an old mystery played....Such forces cannot be named, cannot be spoken, cannot be imagined except under a veil and a symbol, a symbol to the most of us appearing a quaint, poetic fancy, to some a foolish tale. But you and I, at all events, have known something of the terror that may dwell in the secret place of life, manifested under human flesh; that which is without form taking to itself a form. Oh, Austin, how can it be? How is it that the very sunlight does not turn to blackness before this thing, the hard earth melt and boil beneath such a burden?" -- Arthur Machen, The Great God Pan
For Heidi Pitlor
One day in 1972, I came home from work and found my wife sitting at the kitchen table with a pair of gardening shears in front of her.

Contains the following stories;
Mute
Ayana
A Very Tight Place

AR 5.9, 21 pts

This collection of short works is comprised of pieces that previously appeared in such publications as The New Yorker, Playboy, and McSweeney's, in a volume that includes such tales as ""The Gingerbread Girl"" and "N."

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,037,422 books! | Top bar: Always visible