Just After Sunset by Stephen King

Just After Sunset (original 2008; edition 2009)

by Stephen King

Member:amaryann21
Title:Just After Sunset
Authors:Stephen King
Info:Simon & Schuster Ome (2009), Edition: First Edition, Paperback, 576 pages
Rating:***

Just After Sunset by Stephen King (2008)

Recently added byH.B.Oberman.Library, cecca, private library, merika23, Zetetes, KyleRapp, ssimon2000

English (75)  Finnish (2)  French (2)  Danish (1)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (82)
Excellent collection of King's short stories, definitely worth the read. ( )
  steadfastreader | Mar 18, 2014 |
Not my favorite King compilation. The first story (Willa) was my favorite, and the last one (A Very Tight Place) was mainly just gross. Several of the stories dealt with post-9/11 themes, which is always hard. ( )
  brandyhei | Jan 14, 2014 |
Uneven. King's a better writer in his longer stories. What I loved in this (The Gingerbread Girl, The Things They Left Behind, N.) I really loved. Others were so-so. Still others, such as The Cat from Hell, left me cold. Still, I'll reread many of these. ( )
  stacy_chambers | Aug 22, 2013 |
There are some readers who think that Stephen King is beneath them. But they are wrong. He writes some of the most entertaining and unsettling stories that I have ever read. I find that he tickles my imagination in just the right places. this collection of short stories offers a wide array of different kinds of unsettling premises: the kinds where a person's mental illness is actually a warning that evil in the world is closer then we think; the kind where a random evil, in the shape of a man, enters your life and you must determine if you are strong enough to fight back and the kind where the grossness of the situation, rather than the spookiness, is what grabs you. I enjoyed everything single one. I also found it interesting that one of the stories directly addressed the 9/11 terrorist attacks. The story based in this incident is one of the most humane and thoughtful pieces of writing about that tragedy that I have read. ( )
  elmoelle | Aug 9, 2013 |
A good variety of 14 short stories. ( )
  blush48 | Jul 24, 2013 |

Shenkman, BenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sudduth, SkippReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Winningham, MareNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ziemba, KarenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"I can fancy what you saw. Yes; it is horrible enough; but after all, it is an old story, an old mystery played....Such forces cannot be named, cannot be spoken, cannot be imagined except under a veil and a symbol, a symbol to the most of us appearing a quaint, poetic fancy, to some a foolish tale. But you and I, at all events, have known something of the terror that may dwell in the secret place of life, manifested under human flesh; that which is without form taking to itself a form. Oh, Austin, how can it be? How is it that the very sunlight does not turn to blackness before this thing, the hard earth melt and boil beneath such a burden?" -- Arthur Machen, The Great God Pan
For Heidi Pitlor
One day in 1972, I came home from work and found my wife sitting at the kitchen table with a pair of gardening shears in front of her.

Contains the following stories;
Mute
Ayana
A Very Tight Place

AR 5.9, 21 pts

This collection of short works is comprised of pieces that previously appeared in such publications as The New Yorker, Playboy, and McSweeney's, in a volume that includes such tales as ""The Gingerbread Girl"" and "N."

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,630,032 books! | Top bar: Always visible