Midnight's Daughter (Dorina Basarab,…

Midnight's Daughter (Dorina Basarab, Dhampir) (edition 2008)

by Karen Chance

Member:Falcon124
Title:Midnight's Daughter (Dorina Basarab, Dhampir)
Authors:Karen Chance
Info:Penguin Books Australia (2008), Paperback, 384 pages
Rating:*****

Midnight's Daughter by Karen Chance

English (47)  German (1)  All languages (48)
NOT SPOILER FREE. SPOILER FILLED.

The beginning has a strange feeling. In novellas, two characters (love interests) are quickly forced together by the plot, and then brought together physically by their evolving feelings. The beginning of Midnight's Daughter is like a novella. Dory and LC are brought together to chase down Dracula, Dory's uncle. They dislike each other, and yet very quickly they reach a flirty, i-don't-like-you-but-i-like-kissing-you stage. Personally, I didn't understand that. LC quite clearly hates Dory for *what she is*. If his dislike stemmed from her personality, that's different. It was like if Malfoy made out with Hermione, or something.

Then D ditches LC to look for weapons. If shes going to kill Dracula she needs more than what she has (at that point just her body and an insufferable partner). From then on the book feels grounded and real. Chance has a gift with building believable charismatic secondary characters. They shine throughout this novel (looking at you, Olga). They aren't your typical Urban Fantasy characters, either. Sure, the main ones are half and full vamps. There's also trolls, mages, a vamp-incubus (nice seeing Casanova again), and fae are both antagonists and friends.

The beginning put me off a little, and if it puts you off too, please go back and give it another chance. Its a truly enjoyable read. ( )
  marcosburlybiceps | Mar 22, 2019 |
I wanted to like this book. Really, I did. I didn't hate it, but I didn't enjoy it as much as I enjoyed [a:Karen Chance|38066|Karen Chance|http://photo.goodreads.com/authors/1235012466p2/38066.jpg]'s Cassandra Palmer/Pythia series, which was a little disappointing since it's set in the same universe and uses many of the same characters.

Dorina (Dory) is the half-vampire, half-human daughter of Mircea, a Romanian vampire and brother to Dracula. (I know. Believe me, I know. It was far less annoying in the Cassie Palmer series than it is here.) As with al=l dhampirs, Dory is shunned by vampires and humans. (And witches. And demons. And elves. You get the picture.) Naturally she has a huge chip on her shoulder and puts out a lot of attitude, not the least of which is toward dear old dad.

I could have enjoyed Dory and all her attitude and the rage she finds hard to control if Chance had allowed me more than just a quick look inside Dory's head. If I don't know how she really feels then I can't assume she's mostly bluster, even if I want to, and without that assumption she comes off like an arrogant ass.

This is supposed to be a stand-alone book, but if you haven't read Chance's earlier series you'll be lost. There are references to incidents and characters from those books, some that I think are crucial to understanding things--most especially the relationship between Radu and Louis-Cesare.

In this book we're supposed to see Dory realizing she can't do it alone and that she doesn't have to, and that she's welcome in the "family" where she always thought she wasn't. There are so many references to family, family, family, but at the end I don't *feel* family from Dory so nothing I've been *told* matters. ( )
  tldegray | Sep 21, 2018 |
Midnight's Daughter - Karen Chance
Not star rating this one. I felt completley different about the first and second halves.

First half -- loved it. Right mix of interesting characters, action, emotion, worldbuilding, story, etc. Exactly the type of urban fiction I was in the mood to read.

Secnd half -- endless battle, battle, battle, battle, battle ... Boring. Okay, so as soon as reader felt there was defeat or victory up pops new opponent or new situation to battle on -- but that just got repetitive.

The big "reveal" wasn't even really a shocker. It was nice to get a few more snippets of back story buried in the last half battle bits.

And I am intrigued enough to continue the series when in the mood (not likely soon).
  Spurts | Jul 18, 2016 |
Brilliant!!! Action, magic and mystery, what more could you want?! ( )
  elainemurphyirl | Jul 1, 2016 |
"I am sure there is a perfectly good reason why my niece is naked and tied to her bed. I am also equally certain that I do not wish to hear it"

I've been reading the Cassie Palmer series for years but never had an urge to pick this side-series up. I've finally succumbed to temptation, probably because I had it on my shelf forever and it popped up as a group read with Girls, Guns and Grimoires. While I liked the tone of Cassie's stories more, this one was also good in its own way.

It follows the standard fare with UF - Girl with powers who is tough and has a stick up the butt about certain issues. In this case Dory hates daddy dearest, the vampire Mircea from the Cassie series, vampires in general, most other supes, and...well, almost just people in general. She clearly doesn't have friends other than contacts she's willing to kill if things annoy her, with the exception of one who is currently missing. At first her attitude was abrasive and irritating, but she grows on me as her personality thaws when faced with other people she starts warming up to.

Besides Mircea, Louis-Cesare is around from the Cassie series, but we see completely different sides of his personality here. At first he's an ass, then he's rather whiny, but then he's likable again. There is a disconnect with the vampire Mircea, a lack of warmth that shows some emotion at the end, and if it weren't for knowing his feelings in the Cassie series, I'd hate him along with Dory. For now I think there's a lot of emotion left to reveal and stuff he's holding back from his daughter.

The world building is unique enough as it stays in the Cassie series but has Dory be a halfbreed between half vampire and half human, sometimes consumed with berserker rages that block her memory and bring out her violence. There's fae here too and for once I dig them - usually I find them irritating or too cruel, but I'm intrigued by the king and hope he comes up in the second book a few times. Yummy stuff.

The story isn't too rich as it's mainly a hunt and fight kind of gig. Dory and Louis must work together and they don't actually solve much. Who they're looking for ends up on their doorstep in one way or another anyway and the fights mainly come to them. Dory isn't so badass that she doesn't get knocked around, and it didn't irritate me because this put in a touch of realism.

Overall it was a decent Urban Fantasy opening. Characters are likable enough but I'm not hooked on any of them. The story was semi-strong but nothing that stands out in memory. Karen Chance writes well with dialogue and description and - while her Cassie series is overdone with too much action and not enough pause - here she calms down and dishes out normal sized servings of action between breaks.

If you're a fan of the Cassie series, then definitely pick this one up for a try. You'll recognize some characters and style. If you're new to Karen Chance, I recommend picking up Cassie first, since it's more unusual and has a richer source of conflict for its first book. ( )
  ErinPaperbackstash | Jun 14, 2016 |
To Anne Sowards, a great editor
My least favorite dead guy had his feet up on my desk.

Dorina Basarab is a dhampir—half-human, half-vampire. Subject to uncontrollable rages, most dhampirs live very short, very violent lives. So far, Dory has managed to maintain her sanity by unleashing her anger on those demons and vampires who deserve killing.

Now Dory’s vampire father has come back into her life. Her uncle Dracula (yes, the Dracula) infamous even among vampires for his cruelty and murderous ways, has escaped his prison. And her father wants Dory to work with the gorgeous master vampire Louis-Cesare to put him back there.

Vampires and dhampirs are mortal enemies, and Dory prefers to work alone. But Dracula is the only thing on earth that truly scares her, and when Dory has to go up against him, she’ll take all the help she can get…

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451412621, Mass Market Paperback)

New York Times and USA Today bestselling author Karen chance has written a paranormal—with bite.

Dorina Basarab is a dhampir—half-human, half-vampire. Unlike most dhampirs, though, Dory has managed to maintain her sanity. Now Dory’s vampire father has come to her for help— again. Her Uncle Dracula (yes, the Dracula), cruelest among vampires, has escaped his prison. And her father wants Dory to work with gorgeous master vampire Louis-Cesare to put him back there.

Although Dory prefers to work alone, Dracula is the only thing that truly scares her—and when she has to face him, she’ll take all the help she can get…

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:46 -0400)

Dorina Besarab, a dhampir--half human, half vampire--has managed to control her violent rages until her father comes back into her life and wants her to work with a gorgeous master vampire to put Dracula back into the prison from which he has just escaped.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,539,224 books! | Top bar: Always visible