Poirot Investigates by Agatha Christie

Poirot Investigates (edition 1953)

by Agatha Christie

Member:Laura_lita
Title:Poirot Investigates
Authors:Agatha Christie
Info:Bantam Books (1953), Edition: 25th THUS, Mass Market Paperback

Poirot Investigates by Agatha Christie

English (40)  Danish (1)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  All (1)  All (44)
Poirot anthology. Review coming soon! ( )
  GovMarley | Aug 6, 2017 |
I decided one day that I should start listening to audiobooks while driving, at the gym, doing household chores, etc. I had always wanted to read Agatha Christie, so I started there pretty much on a whim.

This novel is part of the Poirot series of detective novels. It consists of a set of short stories.

It's difficult to review a mystery without giving spoilers and I never write spoilers in reviews, so I'll just say that I enjoyed getting to know Poirot and his friends better and I loved hearing how the stories unfolded in the end. ( )
  ktlavender | Jul 17, 2017 |
This third book in Agatha Christie’s Poirot series is actually a collection of eleven (fourteen in the American book) short stories, all unconnected save for the fact that they all relate mysteries that Poirot solved, and all are narrated by his friend Captain Hastings.

I enjoyed the book and as with all other Christie books that I have read so far, I zipped through it fairly quickly. However – and this is just personal preference – while I don’t mind reading short stories sometimes, I generally prefer a full-length novel, which gives chance for more character and plot development. That said, Christie always seems to focus more on the plot than the characters – Poirot after all remains unchanged in the three books I have read which feature him, as does Captain Hastings. And despite preferring longer stories on the whole, I would still recommend this for Poirot fans.

It’s fair to say that while most of the plots were very clever, Poirot’s ability to solve them does stretch the imagination somewhat. He manages to solve one mystery without even being there! He is laid up in bed with flu so sends along Hastings to be his eyes and ears, but it is Poirot that works out the truth behind the matter. This explains Poirot’s huge ego and arrogance, which somehow only serve to make me like him more!

In all short story collections there will be some that the reader prefers over others, and these will probably vary from reader to reader. There were none that I didn’t enjoy, but for my money the best ones were:

The Adventure of the Western Star – A film star receives demanding letters requesting a particular diamond which her husband brought her for their wedding. She enlists Poirot’s help in finding out who is behind the letters.

The Jewel Robbery at the Grand Metropolitan – a lady staying at the Grand Metropolitan Hotel, has a beautiful and valuable piece of jewellery stolen. Suspicion falls upon the chambermaid and the lady’s own personal maid, and it is up to Poirot to get to the bottom of the matter.

The Disappearance of Mr Davenheim – a banker goes missing and Poirot is immediately on the case.

The Adventure of the Italian Nobleman – Count Foscatini, an Italian nobleman is brutally murdered, and the hunt is on for the only two men who could have done it. But of course the truth is much stranger than imagined…

Overall, an enjoyable, undemanding and diverting read. ( )
  Ruth72 | Jun 28, 2017 |
This collection of fourteen Hercule Poirot short stories shows just how difficult it is to work well in the format, especially when it comes to mysteries. It's very hard to include many red herrings or an expanded cast of potential guilty parties when you don't have hundreds of pages of narrative at your disposal, which means that it's very hard to trick your readers and leave them in the dark until the final denouement. (This is also why mystery television series composed of standalone episodes have never particularly appealed to me, as I can't remember the last time I remained in the dark for the entire 43 minutes of an episode. The poor writers simply don't have enough time to build a really good mystery.) Still, there are some interesting bits here, both in terms of the mysteries themselves and in terms of revelations regarding Poirot himself, but it's just not up to the level of the novels. ( )
  jimgysin | Jun 19, 2017 |
Poirot Investigates by Agatha Christie is a collection of eleven short stories, all featuring Hercule Poirot and his friend Colonel Hastings. Originally published in 1924, these stories are all meant to highlight Poirot’s superb skill at detection as he solves each one quickly and ties up all the loose ends.

In |”The Mystery of Hunter’s Lodge” Poirot cannot even go to investigate the case in person as he is suffering from influenza. Instead he has Hasting go, ask questions and then telephone him. To everyone’s surprise he is able to solve the case immediately which stretched my believability somewhat. I also enjoyed that some of these stories were very easy for the reader to figure out, making me feel a little more on a level with Poirot. The both of us could feel smug while Hastings and the police struggled to find the answer.

Overall I found Poirot Investigates a very engaging set of stories which included a locked room mystery, the abduction of a Prime Minister, a million dollar robbery and enough murders to satisfy the bloodthirsty. All are written with Christie’s light touch and flair. Reading this book is very much like taking a trip back to 1920’s Britain with the added bonus of the amazing deductive powers of Hercule Poirot. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | Nov 21, 2016 |

Christie, Agathaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Stedman, Ralph vonTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I was standing at the window of Poirot's rooms looking out idly on the street below.

The murder masquerding as suicide.
A fraud disguises as robbery.
The witness who didn't exist.
A murder weapon that played no part in the crime.
All are diabolical red herrings.
All are successful in throwing every pursuer off the sent. Everyone but the incomparable Hercule Poirot.
-------------------------

"Come now, Monsieur," said Inspector Japp of Scotland Yard., "you're not going to run down the value of details as clues."
"By no means. But it is the brain, the little gray cells" - Poirot tapped his forehead - "on which one must rely. One must seek the truth from within - not without."
"You don't mean to say, Monsieur Poirot, that you would attempt to solve a case without moving your chair, do you?"
"That is exactly what i do mean."
Japp slapped his knee. "Hanged if I don't take you at your word. Bet you a fiver that you can't ... "

A foolish wager, Inspector Japp, when dealing with the amazing Hercule Poirot!
---------------------------------------
All stories originally published in Sketch in 1923.
Wikipedia page, including summaries

The UK edition of Poirot Investigates contains the following short stories:

Jewel Robbery at the Grand Metropolitan
The Disappearance of Mr. Davenheim
The Adventure of 'The Western Star'
Tragedy at Marsdon Manor
The Kidnapped Prime Minister
Million Dollar Bond Robbery
The Adventure of the Cheap Flat
The Mystery of Hunter's Lodge
The Adventure of the Egyptian Tomb
The Adventure of the Italian Nobleman
Case of the Missing Will

The US and Canadian editions of Poirot Investigates includes the above short stories along with an additional three stories:

The Lost Mine
The Veiled Lady
The Chocolate Box

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0425174727, Mass Market Paperback)

Cross a movie star, an archaeologist, a French maid, a prime minister, a wealthy dowager, and an Italian count with Hercule Poirot and you get a collection of the detective's most intriguing criminal puzzles.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:02 -0400)

With 14 stories, 14 crimes, and twice as many suspects, this delightful Christie collection, repackaged and redesigned, firmly established the brilliant Belgian sleuth's reputation and standing in the canon of classic detective fiction. What connects a movie star, an archaeologist, a French maid, a prime minister, a wealthy dowager, and an Italian count? Crime, of course-and the master crime-solver, Hercule Poirot.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,955,216 books! | Top bar: Always visible