Poirot Investigates by Agatha Christie

Poirot Investigates (original 1924; edition 1975)

by Agatha Christie

1,645None4,361 (3.56)61
Member:rabbitprincess
Title:Poirot Investigates
Authors:Agatha Christie
Info:Bantam (1975), Edition: Eighth Printing, Paperback
Rating:***
Tags:mystery, agatha christie, poirot, short stories, read in 2012, read in 1991-2000

Poirot Investigates by Agatha Christie (1924)

English (21)  Danish (1)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (25)

This book was comprised of 14 Hercule Poirot short story mysteries. Some are really interesting, and a couple were lacking. My favorite stories in this book were The Veiled Lady and The Chocolate Box because, the first clearly displays Poirot’s ingenuity and cunning skills, and the latter displays Poirot’s weakness and a failure on his behalf. Agatha Christie is my favorite all-time author, and I generally turn to her Poirot books when I’m either in a reading slump, or I need a pick me up after reading a drastically boring book. As I was reading this book, I noticed that they stirred up some familiarity and I then realized that I’ve seen quite a few of them in the Acorn Media movie productions of Agatha Christie’s Poirot (Masterpiece Mystery) featuring David Suchet. Here are the mysteries I’ve already had an acquaintance with through these movies:

Quotes:
“‘And what do you think of Dr. Bernard, Hastings?’ inquired Poirot, as we proceeded on our way to the Manor.
‘Rather an old ass.’
‘Exactly. Your judgements of character are always profound, my friend.’” (45 The Tragedy at Marsden Manor)

“‘Yes, yes,’ my little friend continued. ‘Once more shall I be myself again, the great Hercule Poirot, the terror of evildoers! Figure to yourself, mon ami, that I have a little paragraph to myself in Society Gossip. But yes! Here it is: ‘Go it---criminals---all out! Hercules Poirot---and believe me, girls, he’s some Hercules!’” (87 The Mystery of Hunter’s Lodge)

“Poirot was busy mopping a grey suit with a minute sponge. Never was there a dandy such as Hercule Poirot. Neatness and order were his passion.” (176 The Kidnapped Prime Minister) ( )
  Dnaej | Mar 14, 2014 |

Dnaej | Mar 14, 2014 |
This is a book of short stories. When I finished them I said the book was good, but I was not crazy about Poirot. ( )
  Schmerguls | Sep 18, 2013 |
It was very well done but I prefer a mystery that I can really get a feel for the characters and try to figure out how it is going to turn out or who did it. ( )
  GeezLouise | May 4, 2013 |

Dnaej | Apr 6, 2013 |
I was standing at the window of Poirot's rooms looking out idly on the street below.

The murder masquerding as suicide.
A fraud disguises as robbery.
The witness who didn't exist.
A murder weapon that played no part in the crime.
All are diabolical red herrings.
All are successful in throwing every pursuer off the sent. Everyone but the incomparable Hercule Poirot.
-------------------------

"Come now, Monsieur," said Inspector Japp of Scotland Yard., "you're not going to run down the value of details as clues."
"By no means. But it is the brain, the little gray cells" - Poirot tapped his forehead - "on which one must rely. One must seek the truth from within - not without."
"You don't mean to say, Monsieur Poirot, that you would attempt to solve a case without moving your chair, do you?"
"That is exactly what i do mean."
Japp slapped his knee. "Hanged if I don't take you at your word. Bet you a fiver that you can't ... "

A foolish wager, Inspector Japp, when dealing with the amazing Hercule Poirot!
---------------------------------------
All stories originally published in Sketch in 1923.
Wikipedia page, including summaries

The UK edition of Poirot Investigates contains the following short stories:

Jewel Robbery at the Grand Metropolitan
The Disappearance of Mr. Davenheim
The Adventure of 'The Western Star'
Tragedy at Marsdon Manor
The Kidnapped Prime Minister
Million Dollar Bond Robbery
The Adventure of the Cheap Flat
The Mystery of Hunter's Lodge
The Adventure of the Egyptian Tomb
The Adventure of the Italian Nobleman
Case of the Missing Will

The US edition of Poirot Investigates includes the above short stories along with an additional three stories:

The Lost Mine
The Veiled Lady
The Chocolate Box

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0425174727, Mass Market Paperback)

Cross a movie star, an archaeologist, a French maid, a prime minister, a wealthy dowager, and an Italian count with Hercule Poirot and you get a collection of the detective's most intriguing criminal puzzles.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:44:55 -0400)

With 14 stories, 14 crimes, and twice as many suspects, this delightful Christie collection, repackaged and redesigned, firmly established the brilliant Belgian sleuth's reputation and standing in the canon of classic detective fiction. What connects a movie star, an archaeologist, a French maid, a prime minister, a wealthy dowager, and an Italian count? Crime, of course-and the master crime-solver, Hercule Poirot.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,503,726 books! | Top bar: Always visible