The Eyes of a King: The Last Descendants #1…

The Eyes of a King: The Last Descendants #1 (2008)

by Catherine Banner

For strong fantasy readers. This one jumps back and forth between characters, times and locations. Leo North lives in the kingdom of Malonia, which has long been at war. He finds a blank book in the snow, in which words started appearing to tell the story of Ryan, the Malonian heir to the throne who was exiled to England. Leo thought that England was only in fairy tales, so he isn't convinced that this is real -- but the story keeps appearing in pieces in the book, and there are enough details for himto decide that this story could be true -- and if it is, the only hope for saving his country is getting Ryan back to take back the throne. There is Leo's story, Ryan's story, and the story of Ryan's guardian, Aldebaran -- and there are a multitude of other characters whose relationships create a complicated web of a story. Lots to keep track of! For 7th grade and up. ( )
  KarenBall | Sep 23, 2011 |
Reviewed by The Story Siren for TeensReadToo.com

Fifteen-year-old Leo North lived in Malonia with his younger brother, Stirling, and his grandmother. When Leo was five years old the monarchy was overthrown by the tyrant Lucien, and his parents fled to save their lives.

One night on his way home, Leo finds a mysterious book. The pages of the book are blank. But t soon the pages begin to fill, telling the story of two people in England, which is thought to be a fairy tale world. The pages only appear a few at a time, but Leo feels as though he already knows the story.

THE EYES OF A KING is a book filled with fantasy, mystery, heartache, and love. Catherine Banner realistically depicts the thoughts and emotions of her teenage character, being as she is one herself. Leos' story seems to consist of one main theme -- loss. He is overcome with grief in much of the second half of the book, and it seemed as if empathy will continue to elude him.

Banner cleverly intertwines the stories of Malonia and England, and readers will revel in delight as the two stories come together. THE EYES OF A KING looks to be the beginning of an enchanting trilogy! ( )
  GeniusJen | Oct 10, 2009 |
Fifteen-year-old Leo North lives in Malonia with his younger brother, Stirling and his grandmother. When Leo was five years old the monarchy was overthrown by the tyrant Lucien and his parents fled Malonia to save their lives.One night on his way home, Leo finds a mysterious book. The pages of the book are blank. But soon the pages begin to fill, telling the story of two people in England, which is thought to be a fairy tale world. The pages only appear a few at a time, but Leo feels as though he already knows the story. Leo, however, has no idea how much the story will come to play in his own country of Malonia.The Eyes of A King is a book filled with fantasy, mystery, heartache and love. Catherine Banner realistically depicts the thoughts and emotions of her teenage character, being as she is one herself. Leos’ story seems to consist of one main theme, loss. He is overcome with grief in much of the second half of the book, and is seemed as if empathy will continue to elude him. Banner cleverly intertwines the stories of Malonia and England. And readers will revel in delight as the two stories come together! The Eyes of A King looks to be the beginning of an enchanting trilogy! ( )
  the_story_siren | Jul 2, 2009 |
If I hadn't read that Catherine Banner was a teen author, I never would have guessed it. Catherine Banner shows much potential in the writing world by publishing The Eyes of a King, a novel addressing a few controversial topics such as teenage angst, military, deaths, and war.

However, contrary to popular opinion, I disagree that Catherine Banner can be called the next J.K. Rowling just based on this novel. Sure, she shows writing talent at a young age that should be honed before it's lost; I'm also eager to read her next books in this trilogy. However, there are flaws with the book.

Set in a parallel world called Malonia, The Eyes of a King is narrated by Leo North, the protagonist. The novel is actually a memoir of Leo; he describes the events that have happened to him ever from the day he picked up a mysterious, magical book one fateful, winter day. He soon discovers just how enchanting this book is; it not only writes by itself, he dreams about the events in the book when he's not reading it. Through the book, Leo familiarizes himself with the book's characters, including Anna, Aldebaran, and Ryan (the exiled prince of Malonia). The characters in Leo's book all live in England, a place Leo believes to be make-believe. In his own life, Leo has his own obstacles to deal with, and these obstacles eventually become too overbearing for him. As Leo becomes more absorbed in the book (though not by his own will), he realizes how connected he really is to the book.

The first half of this book was amazing. I loved Banner's use of descriptions; they were imaginative and enough for me to visualize the scenes. I also liked the idea about a parallel world and the prophecy about Ryan. However, the mood and tone of the story changes after a tragic event hits. Leo becomes more self-absorbed in his depression; his thoughts become less rational. He does things that seem out-of-character for him, as though he lost control of himself. I thought Banner did a great job of capturing about his feelings and actions, though I did not always agree with them.

What bothered me about the book were some plot holes. For example, Leo did do some drastic things that I thought he should have been punished for. It didn't make sense to me that he just got ran away without retribution and that nobody searched for him. Another thing is the connection between Leo, Ryan, and Anna seemed flimsy when I thought that should have been a strong point of the story. Though Leo knew all about them from his book, they don't seem to be as aware of his story. I did like how everything tied up together neatly by the end; everything was interconnected. ( )
  imperfectionist | Jun 25, 2008 |
Wow, this was an amazing book. There are so many layers to the story that I find it difficult to attempt to summarize but attempt I will. The main narrator, Leo, lives in the world of Malonia. This is a military run world. Soldiers patrol the streets. Children go to military school to learn to fight not so much to read and write. Children with powers are sent to 'special' schools where they are locked up and kept under control. People with mental problems are labeled 'Unacceptables' and taken away by soldiers. It is in this world that Leo lives and one day he finds a blank book. But words start appearing in the book and a story unfolds. It is a tale set in a fairy tale land called England about the boy who should be the true king of Malonia, but was exiled to this world when his father, the former King, and his mother were murdered.

Both story lines follow two teenage boys, approx. the same age. They are relatively happy, or shall we say content at the beginning but events happen in their lives and they become aware of realities and truths that lead them into sadness and despair. A running theme throughout the novel is that there are other things in life besides being happy. This is a dark tale; one that is melancholy and sad. If you like your books to have a happy ending you won't find one hear but you will find acceptance and a glimmer of hope.

I really enjoyed this book. It has such a melancholy atmosphere, I found myself occasionally putting it down briefly to gather my thoughts. The characters are wonderfully developed and I found myself feeling deeply for all concerned. This is the first in a proposed trilogy and I very much look forward to following these characters into the sequel. This haunting fantasy with mature themes of death, suicide, and war is recommended to older YAs and adults. ( )
  ElizaJane | May 27, 2008 |
Queste sono le ultime parole che scriverò.

FIFTEEN-YEAR-OLD LEO NORTH’S prospects in life are limited. He attends military school, lives with his fearful grandmother, and looks after his brother Stirling. He resists his innate powers, because those who demonstrate any sort of magical ability are considered enemies of the state. But when he finds a blank book in the snow, his typical indifference melts away. From the first moment he touches the book, he senses its strange power. Passages start to appear on the pages—revealing family secrets, telling the history of Malonia, and uncovering the story of Ryan and Anna, two teens from a parallel universe. When Leo’s seemingly narrow path takes an unexpected tragic turn, he finds himself on a journey from which he can never really return. And, as he slowly begins to lose touch with reality, Ryan and Anna’s story comes to the forefront. Their idyllic summer romance—seemingly worlds away from Leo—has everything to do with Malonia.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:59:50 -0400)

In Malonia, fifteen-year-old Leo North finds a mysterious book that slowly reveals information about his family's history, the history of his war-torn country, and glimpses of two other teenagers living in a country called England, which Malonians think is make-believe.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,974,982 books! | Top bar: Always visible