Check out the Valentine’s Day Heart Hunt!

Quotations from Chairman Mao Tse-Tung by Mao…

Quotations from Chairman Mao Tse-Tung (1964)

by Mao Tse-Tung

1,2021510,023 (2.7)20

English (9)  Dutch (3)  Spanish (1)  Portuguese (1)  French (1)  All languages (15)
This copy I purchased from the markets on Antique Road, Hong Kong, some time ago. I decided on a cover to cover reading. I soon found that the quality of my copy was not the best, and I had to look up the punchline of the Chinese myth "The Foolish Old Man Who Removed the Mountains". As it turns out, Mao used the myth in relation to the two mountains - imperialism and feudalism - that could be chipped away by the generations. My knowledge of China's modern history is limited, and my reading on Mao's influence has been limited to Mao's On Guerrilla Warfare, Sun Shuyun's The Long March, and the "beautiful yet sinister" Chinese Propaganda Posters (published by Taschen in 2015 - I purchased my copy at the Hong Kong Museum of Modern Art bookstore, a favourite haunt). My favourite quote (p. 337):...in the year 2001, or the beginning of the 21st century, China... will have become a powerful socialist industrial country.I learnt a bit more about Norman Bethune, the Canadian physician who worked with Mao after serving as a doctor during the Spanish Civil War, and discovered interesting viewpoints on "democratic centralism". Mao discusses political theory, education policy, "contradictions" and ways to overcome these, such as that that exists between classes, officers and men, comrades, and in terms of patriotism versus internationalism. Mao's quotes are all after The Long March (the Red Army's retreat in 1934 that left only 1/5 of the Army remaining, but ultimately led to the Red Army's victory and was to become a major pillar of Communist Party propaganda). Following on from The Long March, this collection of quotations is an intense lesson in the modern history of China. Many of the quotes are drawn from the "Selected Works". It is difficult to buy English translations of the less popular works by Mao, and I would like to read more of this in future, as, for all his other not insignificant digressions, he was certainly an important scholar, poet, and political theorist. Like anything that is not of "us", Mao's works have largely been ignored, yet he, and later, Deng Xiaoping, were the driving forces behind the Chinese powerhouse that has emerged in my own lifetime. "Socialism with Chinese characteristics" is something that we should all be studying at this point in history, and this "little red book" is a good place to start. ( )
  madepercy | Oct 11, 2018 |
Read one quote every day.
  EmanLacaba | Apr 12, 2018 |
The Little Red Book. Everyone should have one, because you need to know at a revolution is not a dinner party and that all political power comes from the barrel of a gun. Bought this at a B. Dalton immediately after it became legal to import stuff from China. ( )
  datrappert | Oct 18, 2016 |
Thoroughly enjoyable and fascinating. It's an incredible insight into the ideals of Chinese communism. A scholarly comparison and contrast of the intentions and the reality of the situation would be fascinating. ( )
  benuathanasia | Feb 1, 2013 |
Useful as a historical document, if you are reading it for pleasure good luck to ya. ( )
  librarianbryan | Apr 20, 2012 |

Mao Tse-Tungprimary authorall editionscalculated
Barnett, A. DoakForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Piao, LinForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The force at the core leading our cause forward is the Chinese Communist Party. The theoretical basis guiding our thinking is Marxism-Leninism.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 083512388X, Vinyl Bound)

Many of the earliest books, particularly those dating back to the 1900s and before, are now extremely scarce and increasingly expensive. We are republishing these classic works in affordable, high quality, modern editions, using the original text and artwork.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:10 -0400)

Contents: The Communist Party; Classes and Class Struggle; Socialism and Communism; The Correct Handling of Contradictions Among the People; War and Peace; Imperialism and All Reactionaries are Paper Tigers; Dare to Struggle and Dare to Win; People's War; The People's Army; Leadership of Party Committees; The Mass Line; Political Work; Relations Between Officers and Men; Relations Between the Army and the People; Democracy in the Three Main Fields; Education and the Training of Troops; Serving the People; Patriotism and Internationalism; Revolutionary Heroism; Building Our Country Through Diligence and Frugality; Self-Reliance and Arduous Struggle; Methods of Thinking and Methods of Work; Investigation and Study; Ideological Self-Cultivation; Unity; Discipline; Criticism and Self-Criticism; Communists; Cadres; Youth; Women; Culture and Art; Study.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,489,095 books! | Top bar: Always visible