Rose Daughter (1997)

by Robin McKinley

Series: Folktales (2)

Beauty grows to love the Beast at whose castle she is compelled to stay, and through her love he is released from the curse that had turned him from man to beast.
    Beauty: A Retelling of the Story of Beauty and the Beast by Robin McKinley (infiniteletters, HollyMS)
    infiniteletters: An earlier version of the same tale by the same author. Both excellent.
    HollyMS: Beauty was Robin McKinley's first retelling of Beauty and the Beast. Beauty is superior to Rose Daughter, however.
    East by Edith Pattou (infiniteletters)
    The Fire Rose by Mercedes Lackey (infiniteletters)
    infiniteletters: A spin on the classic tale, with elemental magic and 19th-century San Francisco.
    Toads and Diamonds by Heather Tomlinson (Aerrin99)
    Aerrin99: An excellent fairy tale retelling set in an India-like world.
    Uprooted by Naomi Novik (evymac)
    evymac: Fairy tale-like read with great characters and an enchanting plot.

This is a retelling of Beauty and the Beast. The human characters were beautifully written and the story enjoyable. However, the rose-gardening sections got a bit tedious and the Beast was a bit dull. I like roses and gardening, but not that much. Using manure from a unicorn was definately an interesting (and amusing) use of unicorns.

I much preferred the retellings by T. Kingfisher (Bryony and Roses) and Melanie Karsak (Beauty and Beastly). ( )
  ElentarriLT | Mar 24, 2020 |
Loved this book, but I felt like I've read it before, oh that's right it's almost exactly the same as Beauty. Down to certain passages being almost identical. But I love this story and this book! I did notice differences and I liked them too! ( )
  AngelaRenea | Jan 12, 2019 |
3.5 stars. ( )
  UDT | May 1, 2018 |
I dithered between 3-1/2 and 4 stars. The story pulled me in pretty readily but I kept expecting a different plot, so I was occasionally distracted. To be fair, I probably read this book too soon after reading 'Beauty' and need to give this folktale a re-reading. ( )
  SandyAMcPherson | Nov 28, 2017 |
This is McKinley's second retelling of Beauty and the Beast--the first was Beauty. In this audio book. There are some neat updates--one of Beauty's sisters, Lionhearted dresses as a man to apprentice in town, and becomes known as a son in the family. Beauty is a gardener, ad when her father steals a rose a pact is made that either Beauty's father will be killed or Beauty will be The Beast's companion. The descriptions of the house--all of the places McKinley puts flowers is amazing. The magic is more subtle than other versions, but delightful. ( )
  StacyWright | Jul 15, 2017 |
Ironically, this reworking has disabled the fairy tale, robbing it of tension and meaning, and creating for her readers a less usable enchantment.

McKinley, RobinAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Amato, BiancaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Goddard, AngelaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Griesbach, CherylCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Martucci, StanleyCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Neil and Tom,
whose absurd idea it was

and in memory of
a little lilac-covered cottage
where I used to live
Her earliest memory was of waking from the dream.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 155,563,636 books! | Top bar: Always visible