Rose Daughter by Robin McKinley

Rose Daughter (original 1997; edition 1997)

by Robin McKinley

Member:roxannehalpine
Title:Rose Daughter
Authors:Robin McKinley
Info:Greenwillow (1997), Edition: 1st ed, Hardcover
Tags:fantasy, mckinley

Rose Daughter by Robin McKinley (1997)

Beauty: A Retelling of the Story of Beauty and the Beast by Robin McKinley (infiniteletters, HollyMS)
    infiniteletters: An earlier version of the same tale by the same author. Both excellent.
    HollyMS: Beauty was Robin McKinley's first retelling of Beauty and the Beast. Beauty is superior to Rose Daughter, however.
    East by Edith Pattou (infiniteletters)
    The Fire Rose by Mercedes Lackey (infiniteletters)
    infiniteletters: A spin on the classic tale, with elemental magic and 19th-century San Francisco.
    Toads and Diamonds by Heather Tomlinson (Aerrin99)
    Aerrin99: An excellent fairy tale retelling set in an India-like world.
    Uprooted by Naomi Novik (evymac)
    evymac: Fairy tale-like read with great characters and an enchanting plot.

Loved this book, but I felt like I've read it before, oh that's right it's almost exactly the same as Beauty. Down to certain passages being almost identical. But I love this story and this book! I did notice differences and I liked them too! ( )
  AngelaRenea | Jan 12, 2019 |
3.5 stars. ( )
  UDT | May 1, 2018 |
I dithered between 3-1/2 and 4 stars. The story pulled me in pretty readily but I kept expecting a different plot, so I was occasionally distracted. To be fair, I probably read this book too soon after reading 'Beauty' and need to give this folktale a re-reading. ( )
  SandyAMcPherson | Nov 28, 2017 |
Listened this time via audiobook. ( )
  Pelirroja67 | Nov 21, 2017 |
This is McKinley's second retelling of Beauty and the Beast--the first was Beauty. In this audio book. There are some neat updates--one of Beauty's sisters, Lionhearted dresses as a man to apprentice in town, and becomes known as a son in the family. Beauty is a gardener, ad when her father steals a rose a pact is made that either Beauty's father will be killed or Beauty will be The Beast's companion. The descriptions of the house--all of the places McKinley puts flowers is amazing. The magic is more subtle than other versions, but delightful. ( )
  StacyWright | Jul 15, 2017 |
Ironically, this reworking has disabled the fairy tale, robbing it of tension and meaning, and creating for her readers a less usable enchantment.

Robin McKinleyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Griesbach, CherylCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Martucci, StanleyCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Neil and Tom,
whose absurd idea it was

and in memory of
a little lilac-covered cottage
where I used to live
Her earliest memory was of waking from the dream.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0441005837, Mass Market Paperback)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:08 -0400)

Beauty grows to love the Beast at whose castle she is compelled to stay, and through her love he is released from the curse that had turned him from man to beast. A beautiful retelling of the fairy tale Beauty & the Beast from Newbery Award-winning author Robin McKinley. Twenty years ago, Robin McKinley dazzled readers with the power of her novel Beauty. Now this extraordinarily gifted novelist returns to the story of Beauty and the Beast with a fresh perspective, ingenuity, and mature insight. With Rose Daughter, she presents her finest and most deeply felt work--a compelling, richly imagined, and haunting exploration of the transformative power of love.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,110,124 books! | Top bar: Always visible