Rose Daughter by Robin McKinley

Rose Daughter (original 1997; edition 1998)

by Robin McKinley

Member:amaryann21
Title:Rose Daughter
Authors:Robin McKinley
Info:Ace (1998), Mass Market Paperback, 304 pages

Rose Daughter by Robin McKinley (1997)

Beauty: A Retelling of the Story of Beauty and the Beast by Robin McKinley (infiniteletters, Hollerama)
    infiniteletters: An earlier version of the same tale by the same author. Both excellent.
    Hollerama: Beauty was Robin McKinley's first retelling of Beauty and the Beast. Beauty is superior to Rose Daughter, however.
    East by Edith Pattou (infiniteletters)
    The Fire Rose by Mercedes Lackey (infiniteletters)
    infiniteletters: A spin on the classic tale, with elemental magic and 19th-century San Francisco.
    Toads and Diamonds by Heather Tomlinson (Aerrin99)
    Aerrin99: An excellent fairy tale retelling set in an India-like world.
    Uprooted by Naomi Novik (evymac)
    evymac: Fairy tale-like read with great characters and an enchanting plot.

I really love this book. If I could change one thing, though, it would be to edit out some of the wordiness, just a tad. For the most part, the descriptiveness is effective in drawing you into the world and making the reading experience more magical, but there were times when it slowed down the narrative too much.

This is a book I not only love, but that I think I'll reread semi-regularly. I love the way McKinley portrays the relationships between the sisters; sisterly love is the best, and I can never get too much of it. (My, I'm using the word "love" a lot in this review...) It's also a comforting and stress-relieving book. When life gets overwhelming, I want to do just what Beauty did—get away from people, live in a cottage and/or castle for a while, and focus all my energy on one simple thing, like taking care of roses. But if I can't do that, at least I can read about other people doing it. ( )
  AngelClaw | Jul 8, 2016 |
This was definitely an enjoyable take on one of my favorite tales. Three sisters instead of the one Disney gave us. There is a mishap with the father resulting is one of his daughters living at the Beast's magical and mysterious home. Some elements were not well explained or had only a very cursory mention but they did fit in this world, I just wanted a little more explanation (animals and salamander if you're wondering). All in all an enjoyable read I didn’t want to put down. ( )
  missmimsy | Jun 14, 2016 |
2 ILL and one CC (YA)
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 5, 2016 |
The first retelling of Beauty and the Beast by Ms. McKinley. A nice story, but her second retelling, Beauty is so much better. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
This took me much longer to get through than I anticipated. I think it was the writing; it was very lyrical and very descriptive. I prefer books with more dialogue and line/paragraph breaks. Besides that, this was an interesting twist on the fairy tale. Pretty simple with just a few details on the Beasts past different than usual, and of course Beauty's personage. But I didn't really invest in either character, which for me is really important. Glad I found the book but I won't be looking for it again most likely. ( )
1 vote Kassilem | Feb 4, 2016 |
Ironically, this reworking has disabled the fairy tale, robbing it of tension and meaning, and creating for her readers a less usable enchantment.

To Neil and Tom,
whose absurd idea it was

and in memory of
a little lilac-covered cottage
where I used to live
Her earliest memory was of waking from the dream.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0441005837, Mass Market Paperback)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:08 -0400)

Beauty grows to love the Beast at whose castle she is compelled to stay, and through her love he is released from the curse that had turned him from man to beast. A beautiful retelling of the fairy tale Beauty & the Beast from Newbery Award-winning author Robin McKinley. Twenty years ago, Robin McKinley dazzled readers with the power of her novel Beauty. Now this extraordinarily gifted novelist returns to the story of Beauty and the Beast with a fresh perspective, ingenuity, and mature insight. With Rose Daughter, she presents her finest and most deeply felt work--a compelling, richly imagined, and haunting exploration of the transformative power of love.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,527,987 books! | Top bar: Always visible