Rose Daughter by Robin McKinley

Rose Daughter (original 1997; edition 1998)

by Robin McKinley

Member:amaryann21
Title:Rose Daughter
Authors:Robin McKinley
Info:Ace (1998), Mass Market Paperback, 304 pages

Rose Daughter by Robin McKinley (1997)

Recently added byangelista, slaterfamily, shanaqui, rwilliab, kaonevar, exlibres, private library, humblewomble, Caturah
    Beauty: A Retelling of the Story of Beauty and the Beast by Robin McKinley (infiniteletters, Hollerama)
    infiniteletters: An earlier version of the same tale by the same author. Both excellent.
    Hollerama: Beauty was Robin McKinley's first retelling of Beauty and the Beast. Beauty is superior to Rose Daughter, however.
    East by Edith Pattou (infiniteletters)
    Toads and Diamonds by Heather Tomlinson (Aerrin99)
    Aerrin99: An excellent fairy tale retelling set in an India-like world.
    The Fire Rose by Mercedes Lackey (infiniteletters)
    infiniteletters: A spin on the classic tale, with elemental magic and 19th-century San Francisco.

Definitely not my favourite of McKinley's works -- I thought I'd like it more than Beauty, and in one sense I do, in that something that bothers me about the ending of Beauty is addressed here and a different sort of ending written. I like the world, the sisters, the domestic stuff that (as usual) McKinley shines with. I liked the castle and Beauty's work there, and the way other little bits of fairytale lore come in (like her experiential seven days spent in the Beast's castle versus seven months for her sisters). It's also notable that the way Beauty and the Beast relate to each other is very similar to in Beauty; the differences are more in a more complicated setup with slightly different inputs producing a slightly different trajectory.

My main complaint the first time I read this was that the greenwitch at the end has far too much explaining to do, in quite a short span of pages, and that remains problematic to me. Some things needed a bit more opening out, foreshadowing, something, to prevent a long stretch of infodump via dialogue.

Still enjoyable, though, and the writing is gorgeous, of course. ( )
  shanaqui | Nov 23, 2014 |
I think I enjoyed her first one better, but this is still a pretty good re-telling of my favorite fairytale. ( )
  Mirandalg14 | Aug 18, 2014 |
An interesting take on the fairy tale, but only partly satisfying. I found the pace of the book disconcerting, with snippets of information about the mystery of the Beast parceled out very intermittently until the last part of the book. At that point the revelations are piled on one after another with blinding speed, and the climax follows fast on their heels with hardly any time allowed to grasp what's going on. I did like the characters and appreciate the fact that everyone -- not just Beauty -- finds his or her talent and a happy place in the world, but it doesn't quite compensate for the pace of the storytelling itself. ( )
  bostonian71 | Feb 25, 2014 |
Fun fact: I always confuse the names Robin McKinley and Patricia McKillip. Not so much the writing, mind.

This is a perfectly competent retelling of Beauty and the Beast. It does some nice stuff with the care of roses as plot-and-symbolism. And I loved the fleshing out of her sisters and their lives.

Unfortunately the novel feels a bit like the author noted down the plot points from the fairy tale as goalposts and wrote the rest of the novel in between them: there's a certain disconnect. I'm reading along this perfectly nice story about Beauty and her sisters and "Oops, time for their father to go on a journey and ask what they want him to bring back and she says a rose." Or this perfectly nice story about Beauty with roses and things in the castle and "Oops, time for him to give her the rose and the speech about how when its petals have all fallen he'll be dead." The parts just don't blend as organically as they ought. ( )
  zeborah | Jun 5, 2013 |
Beauty was better. ( )
  Meganelise1 | Apr 12, 2013 |
Ironically, this reworking has disabled the fairy tale, robbing it of tension and meaning, and creating for her readers a less usable enchantment.

To Neil and Tom,
whose absurd idea it was

and in memory of
a little lilac-covered cottage
where I used to live
Her earliest memory was of waking from the dream.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0441005837, Mass Market Paperback)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:24:21 -0400)

Beauty grows to love the Beast at whose castle she is compelled to stay, and through her love he is released from the curse that had turned him from man to beast. A beautiful retelling of the fairy tale Beauty & the Beast from Newbery Award-winning author Robin McKinley. Twenty years ago, Robin McKinley dazzled readers with the power of her novel Beauty. Now this extraordinarily gifted novelist returns to the story of Beauty and the Beast with a fresh perspective, ingenuity, and mature insight. With Rose Daughter, she presents her finest and most deeply felt work--a compelling, richly imagined, and haunting exploration of the transformative power of love.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,356,873 books! | Top bar: Always visible