The Wonder Weeks: How to Turn Your Baby's 8…

The Wonder Weeks: How to Turn Your Baby's 8 Great Fussy Phases into… (1992)

by Hetty van de Rijt, Frans X. Plooij

Other authors: Jan Jutte (Illustrator)

I like this book. It is surprisingly accurate with predictions about mental leaps.

I take this book with a grain of salt, using it to reassure myself that 'this too shall pass' in the rough times rather than treat it as a gospel. ( )
  alsocass | Oct 12, 2013 |
The book aims to explain how and why babies go through periods of emotional upheaval during which they lose their sunny smiles and exchange their gentle gurgling for tetchiness, clingy behaviour, and bouts of crying. The basic message is: don't worry, it's not something you said or did, they're just coping with their own emotional, sensory, and cognitive development. The explanations and the month-by-month tracing of developmental stages are very helpful and reassuring to the inexperienced parent. Now that the little Bookworms are older, we have gladly passed our copy on to a more recent parent.

MB 14--05-2013 ( )
  MyopicBookworm | May 14, 2013 |
Might have been more useful if I'd gotten it before the first 4 phases were over. Kind of helpful to know what's going on in that little baby noggin, but overall: meh. Not one I'd encourage anyone to drop serious cash on. (Viva la public library!) ( )
  librarybrandy | Mar 30, 2013 |
Wonderful insight into infant development. Highly recommended to all new parents. ( )
  faither | Apr 8, 2010 |
I bought this book when bubby was 8wks, just after she had gone through a fussy phase. I was impressed at how well the book described the period i had been through...including how I had 'suddenly' noticed changes in her alertness. ( )
  alsocass | Jan 18, 2010 |

Hetty van de Rijtprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Plooij, Frans X.main authorall editionsconfirmed
Jutte, JanIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

The Wonder Weeks. How to stimulate your baby's mental development and help him turn his 10 predictable, great, fussy phases into magical leaps forward describes in easy-to-understand terms the incredible developmental changes that all babies go through during the first 20 months of their lives. This is the extended, "fat" edition with 2 more chapters covering 2 more leaps in the mental development of your baby up to the end of the sensorimotor period. The book is based on the discovery of a little known phenomenon: all normal, healthy babies appear to be more tearful, troublesome, demanding and clingy at very nearly the same ages. These age-related fluctuations in need for body contact and attention are related to major and quite dramatic changes in the brains of the children. These changes enable a baby to enter a whole new perceptual world and, as a consequence, to learn many new skills. This should be a reason for celebration, but as far as the baby is concerned these changes are bewildering. He's taken aback -- everything has changed overnight. It is as if he has woken up on a strange planet. --publisher.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,392,982 books! | Top bar: Always visible