Out of Space and Time by Clark Ashton Smith

Out of Space and Time (1942)

by Clark Ashton Smith

A very creepy book of stories filled with vampires, hidden planes of existence, secret arcane and occult ceremonies and eerie fantasy. Who could possibly want more? There are 10 stories in this book, divided into 2 categories: out of space and time (stories of spatial and temporal dislocation) and judgments and dooms (stories where evil catches up to those who shouldn't have meddled where they did). Each and every one of these stories was effectively creepy and there was definitely never a moment where I wanted to skim because I got so caught up in the details.

Of the 10 stories, I enjoyed Smith's Averoigne stories (The End of the Story; A Rendezvous in Averoigne)and one entitled The City of the Singing Flame the best. The stories are all a masterful mix of fantasy and horror, but the type of horror that you won't find on your grocery store's shelf. This is totally horror at its best, up there with the work of HP Lovecraft. In fact, HPL vastly admired Clark Ashton Smith, which is how I came to be reading these stories.

Would I recommend it? Most definitely, but to people who want their horror on an intellectual plane. ( )
  bcquinnsmom | May 11, 2006 |

The Monster of the Prophecy
The Vaults of Yoh-Vombis
From the Crypts of Memory
The Shadows

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,754,330 books! | Top bar: Always visible