Abe Lincoln Crosses a Creek: A Tall, Thin…

Abe Lincoln Crosses a Creek: A Tall, Thin Tale (Introducing His Forgotten…

by Deborah Hopkinson

1953560,388 (3.99)1
Recently added bycbuquet5, private library, theyellowwoodschool, kfrost32, davidgn, ClaireGross

This story actually doesn't talk much about Abraham Lincoln as I expected. Instead it talks about his friend, Austin, and Abe when they were growing up. This story is probably one of my favorites that I have read so far this semester. The author stops the book a few times and says, "wait just a minute!" and makes comments on how the author has made the story out to be. The story is very magical, so to speak, in that it keeps the reader's attention and forces the reader to pay attention to detail in particular. I happened to read this story to my group of three and four year-old class at the daycare that I work at. I was excited that they didn't know anything about Abraham Lincoln, and because of the way the book was written they were paying attention to both the artwork and the writing. They were constantly trying to figure out what was going to happen next in the book. the biggest take away from the book that I saw was when the author talks about how they had to change the story, because they obviously weren't there during the time that this was all going on so they had to adjust the story according to how they thought it went. I think that's a really important thing to bring up especially to a group of young students. ( )
  cbuquet5 | Feb 2, 2016 |
I really enjoyed reading this book. It is a very interactive book in the means that the author wrote it as if he is talking to the reader, and they are almost writing the book together. It tells of Abe as a child and his best friend named Austin. The story goes on to tell how Austin saved Abe's life and if he hadn't of been there, there would be no Abe Lincoln in history. The book finishes with a really good moral to the story. I would definitely use this for grades 2-5. ( )
  kfrost32 | Oct 7, 2015 |
This story starts in the year 1816 when Abe was only seven years old. His good friend Austin was only ten at the time. Abe and Austin thought it would be great idea to take an adventure to Knob Creek. The water of the creek looks scary and deep which Austin then points out the fact that neither of them knows how to swim. However, Abe still was to cross it. The illustrator and author retell what happens when they cross the lake. Then it leads on to Abe becoming president and tells what happens to Austin. In the end Austin’s story mattered even if he did not end up in the history books like Abe.
  kbuffum13 | Apr 13, 2015 |
Genre or Type of Picture Book: Historical Fiction, Adventure Recommended for: Primary- Intermediate

Abe Lincoln Crosses a Creek: A Tall, Thin Tale (Introducing his Forgotten Frontier Friend) by Deborah Hopkinson and John Hendrix, is a beautifully illustrated book. The illustrations are chaotic representing the new frontier but also the coloring perfectly conveys the landscape of the frontier in the 1800's. The story begins from the authors point of view. She introduces the illustrator, who's hand you can see is painting the story. This element is very captivating for all ages. The story is about Abe Lincoln the 16th president of the US and his friend Austin, back in Kentucky. They decide to travel down Knob Creek, before realizing they cannot swim. The book offers readers with a "what if" Abe and Austin's adventures had gone differently. Would he still be the president? This type of picture book is great for primary and intermediate readers because it is intriguing while also demanding some thought. The theme of friendship throughout this book is a realistic theme that children of all ages can identify with.
  sumnergreen8 | Mar 25, 2015 |
Abe Lincoln Crosses a Creek is a historical fiction book that pairs humor with life lessons. Abe and Austin are childhood friends on an adventure, and a dangerous one at that. Read the last page for a life lesson that children will surely understand. This book is interactive for readers and is appropriate for beginners. ( )
  jenniferm14 | Mar 9, 2015 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 037583768X, Hardcover)

This ALA-ALSC Notable Children's Book and Booklist Editors' Choice is an ingenious historical fiction picture book about the 16th president of the United States, Abraham Lincoln. It’s a tale of two boys who get themselves into more trouble than bear cubs in a candy store.

The year is 1816. Abe is only seven years old, and his pal, Austin, is ten. Abe and Austin decide to journey down to Knob Creek. The water looks scary and deep, and Austin points out that they don’t know how to swim. Nevertheless, they decide to traverse it. I won’t tell you what happens, but let’s just say that our country wouldn’t be the same if Austin hadn’t been there to help his friend.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:23 -0400)

In Knob Creek, Kentucky, in 1816, seven-year-old Abe Lincoln falls into a creek and is rescued by his best friend, Austin Gollaher.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,228,135 books! | Top bar: Always visible