Abe Lincoln Crosses a Creek: A Tall, Thin…

Abe Lincoln Crosses a Creek: A Tall, Thin Tale (Introducing His Forgotten…

by Deborah Hopkinson

Recently added byrookbeader, cbryanHOA, MiguelPut, peachtreepub, MCHBurke, private library, rgreb, KyleSanders, Scrane4

In my opinion this was a wonderful book to read. I really enjoyed reading this book because of the author’s writing and the illustrations. The author’s writing was very engaging. He spoke to the reader and made comments as if the reader was having a conversation with the author. For example, in the opening page the text says, “This is green Kentucky valley is our place. Don’t you feel like sticking your toes into that rushing water? That’s Knob Creek.” The author uses a lot of “you” to speak to the reader which I think makes the book very lively. The illustrations in this book are great! Most of the illustrations take two pages. The illustrations aren’t separately on one page but overflow into the next page which really makes the drawings pop! For example, when Abe was in the river on a tree trunk, the river extend over to the second page and so did the tree trunk.
Overall, the main point of this book was to introduce Abraham Lincoln’s childhood friend, Austin Gollaher. The book describes tall tales about the adventures that the boys had when they were younger. ( )
  Scrane4 | Apr 2, 2014 |
Genre: Historical fiction
Audience: 3-5th grade
Abe Lincoln Crosses a Creek is a story about the friendship of young Abraham Lincoln and Austin Gollaher. In this book Hopkinson has taken great pains to ensure the accuracy of this story. She intricately discusses with the reader how the story would have actually taken place and how an author and illustrator should depict it in a picture book. She makes the illustrator redraw pictures in the book to point out to children that while interpreting historical fiction accuracy matters most, because it usually comes from a secondary source. I will definitely use this with my readesr to discuss primary source and secondary sources in Social Studies. ( )
  ShantiR | Feb 27, 2014 |
This book tells the story of Abe Lincoln and his friend Austin. Austin rescued Abe from a creek. The story is told in an interesting way as the author actually points out the reader and illustrator during it. It would be great to read to children as it can get them involved. ( )
  klmontgomery | Nov 12, 2013 |
Easil among the most inventive approaches to writing a historical account of an imporantant event I've ever seen. I'm not sure which person to say this is written from, only that the author is very conversational and the story is both fun and quirky. I really loved this book. So creative. ( )
  matthewbloome | May 19, 2013 |
This is the story that Abe Lincoln is reported to have told many times. It is a story of true friendship. I would use this book to teach onomatopoeia, verbs, and adverbs. ( )
  sdpugh | Mar 28, 2013 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 037583768X, Hardcover)

This ALA-ALSC Notable Children's Book and Booklist Editors' Choice is an ingenious historical fiction picture book about the 16th president of the United States, Abraham Lincoln. It’s a tale of two boys who get themselves into more trouble than bear cubs in a candy store.

The year is 1816. Abe is only seven years old, and his pal, Austin, is ten. Abe and Austin decide to journey down to Knob Creek. The water looks scary and deep, and Austin points out that they don’t know how to swim. Nevertheless, they decide to traverse it. I won’t tell you what happens, but let’s just say that our country wouldn’t be the same if Austin hadn’t been there to help his friend.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:26:00 -0400)

In Knob Creek, Kentucky, in 1816, seven-year-old Abe Lincoln falls into a creek and is rescued by his best friend, Austin Gollaher.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,145,292 books! | Top bar: Always visible