SOMEONE LIKE YOU by Roald Dahl

SOMEONE LIKE YOU (original 1953; edition 1979)

by Roald Dahl

Member:paulmorriss
Title:SOMEONE LIKE YOU
Authors:Roald Dahl
Info:Penguin Books (1979), Paperback
Collections:Read but unowned

Someone Like You by Roald Dahl (1953)

English (9)  Dutch (2)  Finnish (2)  Danish (1)  All (14)
Hard to categorize. Some stories are really well done with fine finishing touches. Others don't appeal to me at all. But with that, you could call him versatile, too. Worth trying another one!
  Kindlegohome | Jul 9, 2015 |
St. Bart's 2015 #8 - A very intriguing set of short stories, many of which literally had the ability to make me feel uncomfortable. And this from the author who gave us Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and The BFG!!!!! I stumbled across this at a used book sale and had to have it since I was unaware that he wrote other than children's fare. Well, now I know! Some truly unsettling situations are presented throughout, and happily for me, a host of unexpected twists at the end. My favorites were 'Lamb to the Slaughter,' 'Skin,' & 'Neck.'. A nice ride in unexpected territory. Now, if I could only tell what the artwork represents on my charming old Dell paperback cover.....any thoughts??? ( )
  jeffome | Jan 20, 2015 |
Many of the stories in this collection follow a somewhat predictable pattern, but they avoid feeling formulaic simply because they are so good:

We are introduced to a host of characters, many if not all of whom are presented as morally or physically defective--or both--in some entertaining way. Dahl manages to have even the attractive characters come off ugly, if only in the judgements of the narrator who frequently professes a distate for and distrust of the attractive and tall;

One or several of them find themselves involved in some kind of scheme or ploy that, if it starts out by their initiative or consent, quickly outstrips their capacity to control it or even grasp its true nature, revealing something sinister and unpredictable in their character or the world at large;

Some twist, often announced in the very last paragraph, somehow manages to deepen the already disturbing and macabre atmosphere of alienation that Dahl has painted. ( )
  lukeasrodgers | Jul 11, 2013 |
This collection of short stories shows a darker side to Dahl's writing. I particularly liked the story "Lamb to the Slaughter", and found "The Soldier" & "Skin" interestingly creepy. ( )
  leslie.98 | Jun 26, 2013 |
For anyone who thinks of Roald Dahl purely as a children's book author, this is the book to change your mind and make you think admiringly about Dahl's considerable powers as an adult writer.

Taste >> A bet goes too far between a man desperate to acquire a reputation of one who has refined culture and a man whose expert senses can guess the wine being served. Would you be willing to bet the hand of your only daughter in marriage if you're almost perfectly sure that the sommelier can't possibly guess the wine (it's year and vineyard from whence it originated) you've presented for tasting?

Lamb to the Slaughter >> About the wife of a police detective who kills her husband in a most unconventional way and then disposes of the murder weapon in a manner that would make any criminal proud.

Man from the South >> Imagine a man coming up to you and giving you great odds on a bet. He bets his brand new car against something trvial about your person. The catch? He gets to chop off the little finger on your left hand, after all, you don't really need it, do you?

The Soldier >> "You can kick out a dangerous thought if you put another in its place." The story of a soldier adjusting to his supposed normal life after the trying times that was the war.

My Lady Love, My Dove >> A genteel couple gaining an "upper hand" on their weekend visitors, literally and figuratively.

Dip in the Pool >> A man's foolosih attempt at winning in a ship's auction and the events that followed afterwards. What a huge pool that turned out to be!

Galloping Foxley >> Most of us would consider ourselves to be pretty much set in our commuting routine; and the epitome of such is the character of Mr. Perkins, the contented commuter. How shall he ever deal with the sudden presence of somebody who's undoubtedly there to shake his routine just a bit?

Skin >> What if you had fallen on hard times and the only thing left that you could "sell" is that of a painting done by a world-famous painter painted on your the canvass that is your skin?

Poison >> You fell asleep reading alone one night and when you woke up, you find a krait (a rather poisonous snake native to India) nestled and sleeping on your tummy. What would you do? One small jerk of your body, an attempt to run awake will invariably result in a deadly snake bite.

The Wish >> I can't help but think of the antics of toddlers with this story, specifically the great imaginings from the cartoon "Rugrats". Oh, the days we had to let go; of the imagination that we had to curb, in order to be replaced by what is deemed as maturity.

Neck >> How far can you push a cuckold man? Apparently everyone has a breaking point...

The Sound Machine >> An invention to end all inventions--certainly it shall surpass the recording machines and the telephone for its contribution to modern technology. Certain to make anybody an environmentalist after one reading.

Nunc Dimittis >> Describes the lengths to which a society playboy goes for revenge for the embarassment done to him. Ah, money does grant power to one, doesn't it?

The Great Automatic Grammatizator >> What if the creativity and imagination that goes into producing stories be bottled up and sold? And they say that machines are incapable of original thought...

Claud's Dog >> Four stories told from the perspective of Claud's dog, Jackson. Made up of the following snippets: The Ratcatcher, Rummins, Mr. Hoddy and Mr. Feasey.

Dahl pulls off the neat trick of making the macabre laughable, though--he's not trying to scare the reader as much as make us shout with laughter and recognition and then settle back to enjoy a shiver of anticipation.

Book Details:

Title Someone Like You
Author Roald Dahl
Reviewed By Purplycookie ( )
1 vote purplycookie | Apr 12, 2009 |

Magnus, PeterTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wellmann, Hans-HeinrichTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Богданов, И.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is for C.E.M.
There were six of us to dinner that night at Mike Schofield's house in London: Mike and his wife and daughter, my wife and I, and a man called Richard Pratt.
Collection of Fifteen Short  Stories:
11. Neck,
12. The Sound Machine,
13. Nunc Dimittis,
14. The Great Automatic Grammatizator,
15. Claud’s Dog (in 4 parts: The Ratcatcher, Rummins, Mr. Hoddy, Mr. Feasey).

There's the gambler who collects little fingers from losers...there's the lady who murders her husband with a frozen leg of lamb...not to mention the man who has made a machine that can hear grass scream...Roald Dahl's particular brand of bizarre, alarming and disturbing story-telling has already attracted a huge following which can only be more disturbed, alarmed and - thankfully - amused by 'Someone Like You'.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:26 -0400)

Vendettas and desperate quests, bitter memories and sordid fantasies thwarted - here are 15 reasons why Roald Dahl is the master of the short story.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141189649, 024195570X

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,187,262 books! | Top bar: Always visible