Doctor Zhivago by Boris Pasternak

Doctor Zhivago (1957)

by Boris Pasternak

6,59784573 (3.9)1 / 449
    All That Is Solid Melts into Air: The Experience of Modernity by Marshall Berman (BeeQuiet)
    BeeQuiet: This is one of my favourite books; it explores themes of modernity, providing a fresh insight moving away from the idea that modernity is about fixed repeated sequences. It works through various texts from Goethe, Marx and Baudelaire, through to works created in St Petersburg by authors living in a time when modernity seemed to be passing them by in another world. This is why I would suggest it to anyone fascinated by Russian literature as it gives a brilliant new perspective on the reasons behind their writing.… (more)
    Generations of Winter by Vasily Aksyonov (DelphineM)

English (77)  Yiddish (2)  French (2)  Hebrew (2)  Dutch (1)  All languages (84)
One of the hardest classic novels I have ever read. I am not sure why, but I had to push myself through this one. I remembered seeing the 1965 movie and 2002 TV miniseries and both encouraged me to actually read the book. Dr. Zhivago is written well, it is easy to understand, but most of the passages in the book are descriptive. Long paragraphs are handed over to describing the physical and the emotional; scenery, weather, objects, thoughts, feelings. There is also a great deal of unfinished thoughts and story arcs that could have been pursued to a relevant conclusion. The story, however, is really, very good. The struggle is very human, the loss, the strife, the emotions are very real and palpable throughout. Despite the difficulty in reading this book, it has become a favourite, and I am glad I read it. ( )
  codename_walter | Sep 23, 2014 |
The translation from Russian seems superior and more elegant than in the American version in my collection ( )
  bjenks | Aug 20, 2014 |
Having earlier read a more stylish translation, I was not at all impressed with this one, particularly the poems, which read very badly.
  bjenks | Aug 15, 2014 |
Movie
  CBMcGuire | Aug 14, 2014 |
Apparently in a country as physically huge as Russia, you can't go anywhere without previously knowing the entire village as well as the prominent political and revolutionary characters in the news. I was hoping for a love story and ended up with two characters accidentally running into each other repeatedly. Meh. ( )
  bethanyinthetaiga | Apr 8, 2014 |

Pasternak, Borisprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Guerney, Bernard GuilbertTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Harari, ManyaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hayward, MaxTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pevear, RichardTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Scheepmaker, NicoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Volokhonsky, LarissaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
On they went, singing "Rest Eternal," and whenever they stopped, their feet, the horses, and the gusts of wind seemed to carry on their singing.
The fear known as spymania had reduced all speech to a single formal, predictable patter. The display of good intentions in discourse was not conductive to conversation.

n celebration of the 40th anniversary of its original publication, here is the only paperback edition now available of the classic story of the life and loves of a poet/physician during the turmoil of the Russian Revolution.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:19:50 -0400)

Yuri Zhivago, doctor and poet, lives and loves during the first three decades of 20th-century Russia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,356,020 books! | Top bar: Always visible